Thread: Ranger 6x6 tires….kicking a dead horse

Default Ranger 6x6 tires….kicking a dead horse

My new to me Ranger needs new tires.

Knowing little about atv/utv tires, but having a lot of experience towing trailers with an F250, I chose (but have not purchased) Kenda K587 HTR radial, 8 ply sidewall rated tires. I’m not sure if I should be concerned about the weight of the tire or not compared to mud lites and the like. I’m not looking to go much bigger (26x11 vs 25x11 in the rear and I’m considering 26x9 or 26x10 in the front, instead of 25x10). I don’t want to lose power or re-clutch.

Just wondering if I’m barking up the right tree going with an 8 ply, radial tire. In my trailer towing experience, radials are the way to go and the stiffer the sidewall ply, the better.

Are there any other comparable tires I should be looking at? For the record, I aim to purchase tires on Amazon and take advantage of the Prime and free shipping.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for kicking a dead horse.

Tim

When we bought our Arctic Cat Prowler, the first thing we did was to replace the stock tires with Black Water Evolution, 8 ply side wall tires. Being that the Prowler is a little heavier then a 'normal' ATV we wanted tires that were going to support the weight and not have a issue with the tires. We now have over 900 miles on the Prowler/tires and have not had any issues. I would suspect that with the Ranger that one would want a better(stiffer side wall) tire. The guys that mounted the tires cussed me, but that is what they are paid to do.

If this is the Kenda Bearclaw, I think you picked a great all around tire. I seriously looked at these for mine as well but opted for something with a little more tread depth. The Bearclaw has great reviews. Let us know how you like them
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

My neighbor has a Ranger that he bought used and it came with upgraded rubber. It has 27" Swamp Lites on it and they perform great, but to a degree. Don't think he had to re clutch or do anything special to have a 27" tires and the extra clearance only helps. Now the down side...I believe because of the Tork these machines have, the central treat/nob on all six tires are ripping out. I have the same tires on a 500cc 4 Wheeler without this problem, but as much as I love them on my wheeler, I could not recommend them for your rig. I do think the 27" tires are great for the Ranger though.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    If this is the Kenda Bearclaw, I think you picked a great all around tire. I seriously looked at these for mine as well but opted for something with a little more tread depth. The Bearclaw has great reviews. Let us know how you like them
    I do believe it is a bear claw. Like AK Bearcat, I was looking for a stout tire equitable to the bulk and mass of the Ranger. The Blackwater Evolution's he recommended look like contenders too.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what tire you're running?

Also (for all) how much does tread depth matter? The Bear Claws have 25/32 (just over 3/4" tread) and the Blackwater Evolution's recommended by AKBearcat have 1" tread. Since both are radial, 8 ply tires, I think both would have a long life. Is 1/4" worth sweating over?

Thanks again,
    Tim

I'm running Black Diamond XTRs. The tread depth on them is 1-1/8". They are more of a directional tire. Also they are 6ply and not 8. I'd say the tread depth is just a personal preference.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway