Thread: Anyone build their own recurve bows.

Default Anyone build their own recurve bows.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a recurve bow to shoot rabbits and small game and just to have in general. I can buy a cheap one at sportsman's but I have a soft spot for bows or anything for that matter that are built on a smaller scale. The care and craftsmanship are always a nice touch. Also that being said I don't want to spend a grand on something that will only be used to shoot small game.
    Is there anyone on here that builds recurves and sells them? I may be interested in something in the 50lb range if there is

Living like kings

I don't think someone is going to spend & effort in making a bow and sell it for cheep. If you want to put in the time & effort yourself, 3Rivers sells bow kits. There's a guy on YouTube who put a longbow together. The video is called- How to build a reflex deflex longbow (Hybrid Longbow) by DIY Sportsmen. It's a pretty good video. If that's not your thing, then I recommend a bow by Bear. You can get a Bear-Grizzly for $380 and a Bear- Supper Grizzly for $480. Both are really good bows and a 50lb bow is legal all game in Alaska. I went with the Super Grizzly 55lb. I liked the fell of it more then the Grizzly. I got a Black Bear this spring with it and I'm going to try and get a moose next week. Good luck with your next bow.

I use to be a custom bowyer. I made custom one/two-piece recurves and longbows for years. If you have the hankering to build your own bow, I can help with advice on forms, heat oven, materials and sources.
    ASUS-DAG is right about cheap bows. Bowyers spend a lot of time on their bows.
    Just be aware, if you switch to a stick bow the ease, simplicity and shear joy of shooting them is addicting. You might not "go back".

Like longbow6360 I've also built a number of recurves and lonbows, both 1 and 2 piece. It's addicting and extremely rewarding. I live in Seward and if you need any help or advice, just give a shout.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

I built a 72" long bow that I thought would be around 50 lbs and it turned out to be 37 lbs. I'm thinking of adding a rawhide backing to see if that will bring it up some. I'm kinda busy building a Super "cubbish" plane at the moment so I guess it will need to wait.

I hunt with a 40 lb Martin recurve and it works great for me.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

there's a bunch of bow builders up here and some of them are down by you as well!