Thread: Lab

Default Lab

So Ruby is probably good for this season and maybe next but it's time to start looking for another Lab and get her trained up before she is actually needed. Any suggestions on good breeders? I'm willing to head to Washington or Oregon if needed but would prefer AK. But most important is that I want to make sure that I'm working with a reputable breeder. I've done some homework to refresh my memory on what tests, shots, registration, history etc need to be included but would like to start with a breeder that others have had good experience with. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Hi TriIron,

I just returned from a trip to FL, which netted me an alligator and a new lab pup. ... I got my new pup from a breeder in Alabama - Prairie Plains British Labradors. So far, even though he is only 8 weeks, I am very happy. I chose the British style breeding (brit working lines, NOT show lines - two completely different styles of lab). In Britain they like well behaved calmer tempered dogs, delivery to hand, and smaller stature. Hopefully I got all those with Toby. So far he has delivery to hand down like nobody's business and a NOSE that is just amazing for an 8 week old pup.

Actually - to make a long story short - I had originally purchased a pup from another breeder in MN - she died just 3 days after we got her. it was a sad and difficult loss for us.. (the breeder did give us our money back for her as he had no other females available and I did not want to wait for another litter). I began my search again, hoping for another black female, but found Toby (a yellow male) at Prairie Plains. I talked with Clay - the owner and trainer there - in length about his dogs and his breeding philosophy and decided I liked his breeding program a lot. First of all he hunts AND tests his dogs (through HRC and AKC) - and ALL the dogs he breeds have working titles. Toby's mother is HRCH Birdie and his sire is an imported british FTCH - Jake.

If you've a mind to make a trip across country, I would highly recommend Martha and Clay. They are not a mass producer of pups - they KNOW their dogs, and they breed for health too... doing many health tests that most breeders don't.

They have a website - www.prairieplainsbritishlabs.com - They have lots of great info about british hunting labs and the differences between the American and British styles of dog. I suggest you take a look at what they have. Might be worth the trip down.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Juli,

Thanks much for the detailed response. First off sorry about losing the pup. That is always difficult. I will contact Martha and Clay and check out their website. A bit farther then I had wanted to travel but worth it if they have quality breeding and operations. Thanks much.

dave
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Great looking pup Julie. You know that I'm a little biased towards the yellow boys
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Great looking pup Julie. You know that I'm a little biased towards the yellow boys

Thanks Milo - I guess we'll keep him... He is a good pup so far - can't wait til he is a little more consistent in not pottying in his crate at night. Getting up every three hours to let him out is less than fun. LOL He'll get there though.

when is your boy coming home? Have a name picked out?
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Picking him up Sept 21. Kobuk. Need to touch base with Kim this week. Was gone fishing and goat hunting last 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone while hiding with a gun and a bottle.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.