Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda just lost a big fan

Default Honda just lost a big fan

I've been a fan of Honda motors in ANYTHING for years, but they just lost me forever. Yes, every brand will break, and we have to understand that. But, when they do break prematurely, the company ought to have enough fortitude to make it right with the customer. Honda no longer does. I have a 150 hp Honda outboard with a puny 230 hours on it, and the crankshaft thrust washer has eaten through the motor, killing it. The dealer called Honda and was told "T.S. Off warranty." I called Honda and was told the same. OK, I'm off the warranty period, measured in time, and I understand that. However, 230 hours and a HONDA goes boobs up? Total BS. I could care what the time period is: The fact is: 230 hrs, dead Honda. I think the engine sat on the shelf a year before I bought it, too, so this stinks even more (if my memory serves me). Anyway, I'm out $16K and I just thought I'd let others know that Honda ain't what it used to be. Were I the only one with this problem I might somehow feel better, but the dealer told me this is a known issue in the 150 hp motors. I will not swear here, but you know what I am thinking: Honda can have sexual intercourse with itself and Honda and I have just parted company. **** shame, too, 'cause they used to be a great company. Cheers. john

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

A lot of Honda products and parts are made in China. Have been for years.

I have twin 150s and this worried me.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We tested Honda's on our boats at the lodge I worked at and they didn't make the cut.
    This was back 10 or 15 years ago. We were using 30HP 4 stroke units and they had weak lower units and just did not hold up under heavy use.
    For the most part our motors are Merc's and Yamaha's.
    Both perform well for many years.

We had merks on the back of our boat and bot of them broke a crank at 300 hrs in the same exact spot. It too was a known issue and since it was out of warranty we were told too bad as well. Luckily it was a fairly easy fix as it didn't destroy either engine we were able to rebuild them.
    Also ran a Polaris snomachine that blew up at less than 900miles and it too was out of warranty Polaris said tough **** deal with it even though the dealer had 3 others sitting side by side all blown motors all less that 1k miles and Polaris saying there was a problem with those engines.
    It hurts but I have not had luck with companies I've dealt with fixing a problem if it's out of warranty. For what I've seen warranty is the get out of jail free card for the manufacturer.

Living like kings

Don at the Boat Shop told me Honda finally admitted this problem in their 200 and 250 hp, but will not in the 150. He had a customer who bought two and they both blew; apparently 300 hrs is where things get wonky, if they will. The spec on the crank thrust washer is 0.018", and mine has 0.082". I care not where the parts are made; it is the responsibility of Honda to make sure they are good, and the machining is accurate. If not, they should correct the issue and make it right with the customer. But, we are preaching to the choir here.... Dang companies with short-term "plans".

Don't you guys know that these days everybody is making things to break just after the warranty is up? How in the heck are they gonna make any money if things actually last?

It's a disposable world now folks.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

well than we should start seeing some disposable prices!!

I would be shocked if any manufacturer started replacing engines out of warranty. Sorry to hear about your engine, that sucks, a lot.

It's a very well known fact if you research it some, they redesigned the motors but I know personally of a boat that's gone thru 7 150's; he's since repowered with new 200's but can't see the sense in that being that you can get lower weight more reliable 4 cyl 200's from Yamaha & Suzuki.
    I went thru the same thing even tho our local Honda dealer here gave the motors a thumbs up when I specifically asked about this issue.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    I've been a fan of Honda motors in ANYTHING for years, but they just lost me forever. Yes, every brand will break, and we have to understand that. But, when they do break prematurely, the company ought to have enough fortitude to make it right with the customer. Honda no longer does. I have a 150 hp Honda outboard with a puny 230 hours on it, and the crankshaft thrust washer has eaten through the motor, killing it. The dealer called Honda and was told "T.S. Off warranty." I called Honda and was told the same. OK, I'm off the warranty period, measured in time, and I understand that. However, 230 hours and a HONDA goes boobs up? Total BS. I could care what the time period is: The fact is: 230 hrs, dead Honda. I think the engine sat on the shelf a year before I bought it, too, so this stinks even more (if my memory serves me). Anyway, I'm out $16K and I just thought I'd let others know that Honda ain't what it used to be. Were I the only one with this problem I might somehow feel better, but the dealer told me this is a known issue in the 150 hp motors. I will not swear here, but you know what I am thinking: Honda can have sexual intercourse with itself and Honda and I have just parted company. **** shame, too, 'cause they used to be a great company. Cheers. john
    I think I got you beat John. My 200 hp Mercury sport jet blew due to injector failure, Mercury admitted manufacture defect but since it was two years passed the one year manufacturer warranty, they would do nothing for me. The motor had 90 hours on it and was meticulously taken care of. It cost right around 10K to replace, the powerhead all said and done with shipping and installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My F150 Yamaha let go 10 months out of warranty due to a balancer of some sort that was supposed to be changed under warranty but was not. Rocky's Marine in Petersburg sold the engine new and got Yamaha to cover it anyway. Can't ask for better than that.

a warranty is just that and its for a certain period not forever depending on a customers feelings. same with cars or anything.
    choose your motor wisely on ones that last. yamaha has been the best in the past. Suzuki might have caught up but maybe not yet.

generally only if it is a cheap fix will a manufacturer give you any help out of warranty. good luck

The warranty was one of the main selling points I had in purchasing the outboards for my boat. I have Merc 150's and they came with 5 year warranty. I purchased an extra 2 years, i figure after 7 years it will be time to re-power anyways.
    s said earlier in this thread, warranties on ANY motor vehicle never seems to be adequate, and regardless of the manufacturer they don't normally warranty something afferent ends. had this happen on a truck I owned that was 100 miles past warranty when it failed, the company would do nothing since it was past warranty. Real bummer for the consumer.

A lot of motors, like cars, have warranties that go into effect from the date of sale. Not sure if Honda does or if that will help you at all, but it might be something to track down...

Sucky deal. Hope you get your boat back up and running!

A fella I know on another board had an issue with his Yamaha OB a few weeks ago.
    Engine started making all kinds of noise and was just out of warranty.
    He got in touch with his dealer and they documented right away.
    When he brought the boat in it was determined that it was a serious engine issue and that the power head needed to be replaced.
    Yamaha is covering it under warranty even though it is out of warranty though not by much.
    In 3 years buddy has put 1150 hours on the motor with 700-800 hours under 1000 RPM when trolling.

It's not so rare that a motor doesn't have a problem now and then but the point the OP was making this a known problem across the board for any Honda outboard 150 & up with the 150's showing the quickest thrust bearing failure in most cases less than a 1000 hrs and Honda just says "screw you"
    I've talked to various Honda dealers across the state and even Honda's main office in the lower 48. There is no fix for the problem in the 150's; the 225's have some short term repair shim or something that doesn't require a new powerhead.
    Have seen a few boats down here ditch the 225's in favor of Yamaha or Suzuki.
    Anyone looking at buying a used boat with bigger Hondas should calculate in a repower depending on the hours & use. I sold my 3 Yamahas in spring with 4000 hrs on em, still running, still with compression and tolerances in check and they are now on other boats in use.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by akboater80 View Post
    well than we should start seeing some disposable prices!!
    True enough! It used to be a new 4 wheeler was $3k or a new outboard was $900.... now you can easily see $13k for the wheeler and $5k on an outboard.

But....Same 6 or 12mo. warranty. Heck, I had a Can Am quit with less than a 100mi on the odometer. at 13 months..no go, I had to pay for the repair.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It’s not just the Motor companies but the dealerships and service available here in Alaska. They suck…… especially one particular Honda service company in Anchorage. This is the very reason I did not purchase Honda’s this time.

The mech here in Frb told me similar stories w/ Yamaha fixing things just out of warranty; at least they provided the parts, customer had to pay for labor. Fair enough. The fix on my Honda would be $8K and would have the same parts, so what's the point? The engine will likely be sold off for parts soon; I may even get a different boat while I'm at it. I love my boat, but I'd like a tad more room inside and want to get away from air tubes. I've only had one puncture in 8 or 9 yrs w/ it, and that was a green-horn on a gaff; my mistake, I should have not assumed he knew what to do. Stink happens. Anyway, I won't be putting a larger Honda on anything, though I'd not hesitate to use a smaller one. I just dunked my 15 hp in Valdez and am confident it will run like it used to as soon as it has the carb cleaned out. cheers. j

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast