Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high end coolers for hunting/fishing

Default high end coolers for hunting/fishing

I've been threatening to get a yeti/griz/cabelas cooler for hunting and the boat. Have yet to pull the trigger. Looking for advice on what is good and what to avoid. Weight isn't that big of a deal for us. Those Coleman Esky coolers look like the real deal as well.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I sure like the Yeti, it kept things cold and still had ice in it after an 11 day river trip with midday temps into the 70's. I've had mine for a few years and while it was tough to spend $350 on a cooler I don't regret it.

I just went through some research and opted for a Mammoth cooler. About 2/3 the price of a Yeti and available in the size I need. From a cooling standpoint, I'm convinced they are all pretty much the same. Durability, warranty, and features are what made my decision. Also the bear-resistant certification is nice.

http://www.thebestcooler.com/ looks to be a good source for most coolers. Also check out the most recent liost of approved coolers at the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee web site.

I have an Engle and would buy another high end cooler in a heart beat! Last moose season I stuck the cooler into the freezer overnight put the items in with a gallon block of ice and the next day when we got to camp nearly everything in the cooler was frozen! Typically a cooler of ice will last us over a week
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I would also look at the pelican coolers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

One thing to keep in mind is if it will be spending time in a pickup truck bed or any other place where it could grow feet. Some coolers have better tie-down options for using a locking cable.

if money is no object, you might want to check out the Orion 85.

I have a 1972 thermos cooler (red color). It will hold items cold on a 90 degree day for several days on a bag of ice. On cooler days even longer. I have seen these pop up on ebay and local second hand stores cheap. They are metal and hold up well.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

If you really want one of the best and money isn't an issue, check out the Frigid Rigid coolers.

Yeti's rule. For a cheaper alternative, try one of the metal clad Coleman's.

I found a Pelican brand cooler at Costco last year. It's a good size cooler, thick and insulated. Around $500.. It rocks!!
    Cheaper then Yeti for the same size..

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I found a Pelican brand cooler at Costco last year. It's a good size cooler, thick and insulated. Around $500.. It rocks!!
    Cheaper then Yeti for the same size..
    The 95 quart is actually around $350 at costco. I have two of them and they are extremely well built and perform as advertised.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    The 95 quart is actually around $350 at costco. I have two of them and they are extremely well built and perform as advertised.
    They only have the run of the mill coolers as of today.

Don't screw around, get yourself a commercial 1/2 size insulated fish tote. 9.5 cubic ft $600. Saeplast Totes. I have one and so do many other die hard sport fishermen around SE.
    https://www.seattlemarine.net/produc...y=1322#details

I also just snagged a 150 QT Rubbermaid from HomeDepot for $99, it is a throw away cooler but bigger than most (120 QT seems to be the standard), but my last one lasted nearly 10 years. The new one has built in handles where the old one had handles that pivoted and snapped off.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermai...RWHT/202260813

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Don't screw around, get yourself a commercial 1/2 size insulated fish tote. 9.5 cubic ft $600. Saeplast Totes. I have one and so do many other die hard sport fishermen around SE.
    https://www.seattlemarine.net/produc...y=1322#details

I also just snagged a 150 QT Rubbermaid from HomeDepot for $99, it is a throw away cooler but bigger than most (120 QT seems to be the standard), but my last one lasted nearly 10 years. The new one has built in handles where the old one had handles that pivoted and snapped off.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermai...RWHT/202260813

Sobie2
    Not going to fit the bill for hunting. Our moose hunts are 14 day affairs. Need something that will keep the ice.

Pat,

You need to get a Grizzly 150. They have about the right size, insulation and everything to do well. You guys are big boys so it shouldn't be too hard.

I run Yeti Deep 105 but I do that because they are super for how much they can hold and pack in a smaller space.

I ended up ordering a Mammoth Coolers Discovery 95 because it's dimensions are what I need on my raft. I came real close to getting the Techni Ice 70L cooler, which comes with a "dry ice" product that looks pretty slick. These are of Australian origin but available in the US. Almost 3" thick insulation.

http://www.techniiceusa.com/

you guys need to check out RTIC coolers. Half the price of a yeti, built the same, holds more ice.

Quote Originally Posted by jwfishak View Post
    you guys need to check out RTIC coolers. Half the price of a yeti, built the same, holds more ice.
    "If your reservation was made in August you can expect to receive your cooler by November 30, 2015"
    -- https://www.rticcoolers.com/updates

Might consider other more timely options.

Getting my Brown RTIC 65 in October.......

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    "If your reservation was made in August you can expect to receive your cooler by November 30, 2015"
    -- https://www.rticcoolers.com/updates

Might consider other more timely options.
    Nice coolers, great deal...
    Looking at their website and trying to order a 65qt, guess which 2 states they DON'T show in the dropdown box as places to ship too?? But they'll ship to Puerto Rico... SMH...
    I just called them and left a message.

JeffU, did you contact them to see about shipping?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast