Thread: fuel vent hose question

Default fuel vent hose question

Im pretty excited my GC is in the final rigging stages!! Im concerned with the cheap fuel vents I had purchased and water getting in the line. Originally I wanted to install the Attwood P-trap style vent but the idea was lost during the boat building confusion so far. We are ready to install plumbing and I am revisiting this idea. So does anyone have any experience with this style vent? They make a couple different types, the P-Trap and the P-Trap fuel surge protector. Here is a link…..

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p...urge-Protector

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Im pretty excited my GC is in the final rigging stages!! Im concerned with the cheap fuel vents I had purchased and water getting in the line. Originally I wanted to install the Attwood P-trap style vent but the idea was lost during the boat building confusion so far. We are ready to install plumbing and I am revisiting this idea. So does anyone have any experience with this style vent? They make a couple different types, the P-Trap and the P-Trap fuel surge protector. Here is a link…..

If it's a non epa system, I'd suggest the 1670 model or the 1674.

So what exactly is a non epa system?

So what exactly is a non epa system?
    One that doesn't have all of the new epa required BS that is required on any gas powered vessel.

In 5 years, I'm getting very little water in my fuel tanks based on the fact that I don't drain my filters during the season (I do at the end of the season with maybe 6 oz between 2 filters). I did install some inline Raycor surge protectors which really helps my refueling. I just make sure I feel air coming out the vent (cuz I'm paranoid with as much fuel as I fill that I don't fill my bilge). I cover the fill opening with absorb and let the pump rip. The absorb catches the splash back and not a drop of fuel comes out of the vent. Good luck with the Attwood style and let us know how it works.

Builder stuck the vents under the roof overhang on the back of the house on my boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The biggest fact is to ensure your vent hose routing is such that any fuel that gets in the hose will always drain back into the tank. Any low spots can trap fuel in the line and cause issues with venting and filling.

We have decided to run the vent lines through the gunnels to the stern and exit above the extended transom. This should not allow any water into the lines. So we have decided not to use the Attwood vents since there really is no need in the stern. I understand the vent line shouldn’t have any bellies in the run, we will try to prevent that in such a long run.

We have decided to run the vent lines through the gunnels to the stern and exit above the extended transom. This should not allow any water into the lines. So we have decided not to use the Attwood vents since there really is no need in the stern. I understand the vent line shouldn’t have any bellies in the run, we will try to prevent that in such a long run.

remember to put a big loop in the hose above the exit.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692