Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it time to buy one of the last 2-stroke snowmachines?

I run a 16 expedition 600 ace. The only time I've wished for more was when the siglin was weighed down full of wet snow and camp and fuel in April off of the Denali highway a couple of years ago. Thought I was going to get stuck and be there for awhile. I rode with a friend who was on a 13 tundra 550 2 weeks ago. 62 miles. I burned 2.5 gallons of fuel to his 11 gallons... and I was breaking trail for 15 of those miles with him following. The smell and noise and lack of fuel economy was enough that he came home and sold the tundra. He was in love with the 4 stroke. I was successful along with two others on a caribou hunt last weekend and my little expedition had zero problems pulling all 3 caribou. Given the chance I'd buy that sled again. I'd immediately put the beefier bumper on it as well as a skid plate before going anywhere on it though. The tub is very very flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Thought I'd bump my thread back up to the top after a year, with a couple of new questions:

I was comparing two Ski-Doo Expedition Sports, one with a 550 fan two-stroke, and one with an 600 ACE four-stroke. The ACE is reported to get double the gas mileage of the other motor (20mpg -VS- 10mpg) under real world riding conditions. The ACE also costs $1450 more, which roughly equates to about 100 gallons of gasoline, which then equals 5000 miles of "free" riding on the 550 two-stroke.

Do 5000 "free" miles up front on the 550, outweigh all of the "half-price" miles provided by the ACE beyond 5000 miles?

Given a 10.6 gallon tank on both machines: How inconvenient is the 550's limited range of approximately 100 miles per tank?

Thanx, Dave.
    My $.02.
    The 600 ACE is a fantastic engine for almost all applications. However, there are some situations where the 550 will do better. Running a 550 and a 600 ACE breaking trail into the trap line, when the terrain gets technical and steep with lots is snow, the snap/holeshot of the 550 gives it a distinct advantage. Very small percentage of the time, but it happens.
    I have the 550 and can live with it, but ideally I'd have both the ACE and the fanner.
    The Tundra Extreme is the best of both worlds if you can live without the low snow running abilities of the 550 and ACE.
    If you are able, get the 900 ACE and don't look back.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

I have a little MXZ 550f that I got on the cheap as a starter sled and rebuilding project. It's rebuilt now, but I have found that it's only good for getting stuck. What do you suppose a person should do with such a snowmachine? I think it was valuable as a learning experience since I didn't know much about snowmachines before, but now I'd like to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksFlies View Post
    I have a little MXZ 550f that I got on the cheap as a starter sled and rebuilding project. It's rebuilt now, but I have found that it's only good for getting stuck. What do you suppose a person should do with such a snowmachine? I think it was valuable as a learning experience since I didn't know much about snowmachines before, but now I'd like to use it.
    You likely have a short track machine.
    They run well on groomed trails.
    If there is a trail network in your area might be fun to try there.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12