Thread: Gun case baggage fee on AK airlines

Default Gun case baggage fee on AK airlines

so I'm getting conflicting reports on whether or not my Pelican 1750 gun case will be charged the $75 oversized baggage fee on AK airlines. Even the customer service folks give me different answers! has anyone flown recently with Alaska airlines with a case of similar size? its 53"x16"x6"

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbersig View Post
    so I'm getting conflicting reports on whether or not my Pelican 1750 gun case will be charged the $75 oversized baggage fee on AK airlines. Even the customer service folks give me different answers! has anyone flown recently with Alaska airlines with a case of similar size? its 53"x16"x6"
    I am flying United to Newfoundland in Oct and bought a TuffPak gun case 52x10x10 roughly. I took it to United counter and weighed it and female attendant that hunts said as long as it was under 50 lbs she would let it go as checked baggage for $35.00 but, if a certain male attendant was on duty the day I fly she said he would stick me for $275.00 for International fee's as we will be also using Air Canada. I guess it depends on the agent... Good luck I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Also took in a 50 x 30 duffel bag and using the lineal chart they use, that would be over the 62in max - yet was told same thing, as long as under 50 lbs - $25.00 checked bag fee...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I use a case that is 52.13 x 4.5 x 14.5, and I've never been charged and oversize baggage fee. I only fly in-state but I dont think that would matter. All else fails I would just call them ahead of time.
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

I just brought up from Portland, Oregon on AkAir an aluminum gun case 49.5"x16"x4.5" and paid $25 for oversized case.

$25? I have only seen $75 for oversized bags! Maybe they just do whatever the hell they feel like on a given day! I have called twice and got different answers twice! My flight is at 9:30 at night so hopefully I'll get someone who doesn't care and doesn't charge me anything since the flight is half empty as it is! Lol.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I just brought up from Portland, Oregon on AkAir an aluminum gun case 49.5"x16"x4.5" and paid $25 for oversized case.
    Are you sure the $25 was for oversize? That is what their normal bag fee is, so could it have just been the cost for an extra bag? With the club 49 thing, you get 2 free bags, but after that they are $25 each (or more if oversize/overweight).

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Are you sure the $25 was for oversize? That is what their normal bag fee is, so could it have just been the cost for an extra bag? With the club 49 thing, you get 2 free bags, but after that they are $25 each (or more if oversize/overweight).
    I have the club 49 and didn't have an extra bag. They told me it was oversize.

I don't recall the exact measurements of my case but AKair has never even put a tape on it, they always just put a tag on it and send me to TSA.

According to the Alaska Air baggage policy, you should be good as far as oversize is concerned. Here is the information directly from their firearms section of their baggage policy (bold/underline added by me):

"Firearms / Shooting Equipment

The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.

• Shooting Equipment
    • One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
    • One shotgun case with shotguns, or
    • One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools

There is no limit to the number or type of firearms (rifles/shotguns/pistols) per case. Different firearm types may be in the same case as long as each type is properly packed."

Just in case, you may want to consider having this page printed out or available on a smart phone when you go to check in just in case. Some agents aren't 100% up to date with all of the policies, especially if they are in other states and don't deal with those things on a regular basis.

I just flew Alaska Air with a 53x16x9 rifle case. They charge $25 for the first 2 bags and $75 each for additional bags. I gutted the foam out of my rifle case and surrounded my rifle, fishing rods, and trekking poles with clothes. They charge extra for bags over 50 lbs but the counter girl was nice and let me go with 3 bags around 55 lbs and my gun case right at 50 lbs. I also carried on around 60 lbs in a backpack and gigantic camera case. Good luck!

I just returned from Fairbanks with aluminum hard gun case , no problem just checked as any other piece of baggage
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

I have been flying between Anch and Seattle multiple times a year with 1 carry on and 2 Pelican rifle cases. Empty going down, full coming up. Right up to the weight limit. Never a charge. I'm a club 49 member, if that makes a difference.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I've flown between Bethel and Anchorage probably over 50 times in the last 6 years with various totes, coolers, bow cases, rifle cases of all shapes and sizes and never been charged extra for anything so long as it was 50 LB or under.

I've flown with a TuffPak gun case almost every, single time I've flown to AK with various airlines (mostly AK Airlines) since 2006 and have never been charged for an oversize bag. Most airlines have a "sporting goods" exemption. Keep it at or under 50 lbs.

I have traveled probably 50 times with that case on Alaska and have never been charged for oversize. I had Delta in ATL once try to charge me for oversize and I asked to speak with a manager. The manager said, "yes sir, that's oversize". I said, "when was the last time you charged oversize for a golf bag?". " Never mind, sir; I won't charge you".

They always make me take my 1750 to the oversized baggage area. Don't have to pay anything extra though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Make sure not to waste time waiting for your gun case to show up in the regular baggage claim. It will likely show up in oversized baggage and you'll need your baggage stub.