Thread: Exposing/cleaning Diamond Willow

Default Exposing/cleaning Diamond Willow

I'm trying to come up with the best way to clean up a large piece of Diamond Willow. I've already taken a draw knife to it and shaved as much bark off of it as I could and now I just need to clean the bark out of the diamond areas. I've considered using a dremel tool, I would have to go purchase one first. Does anyone have any sure fire/easier ways of accomplishing this task? Thanks for any and all help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife, the woodworker in the family, has done lots of Dimond willow. She says Dremmel is the way to go and with some of the big dimonds you can use a die grinder. She says get the Dremmel 4000, about 95 bucks at Home Depot. Get some cutting bits for the Dremmel. She says there is no EASY way around it.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

It's tedious work, regardless. Personally, I think doing it by hand produces a better product. I've always only done it by hand; never with power tools so can't speak directly to that, except to say that of all the pieces I've seen done with power tools it was pretty obvious. They just didn't look as good. Not to imply that it's impossible to do a great job with power tools....but as with all woodworking, attention to detail is very evident in the end product.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    It's tedious work, regardless. Personally, I think doing it by hand produces a better product. I've always only done it by hand; never with power tools so can't speak directly to that, except to say that of all the pieces I've seen done with power tools it was pretty obvious. They just didn't look as good. Not to imply that it's impossible to do a great job with power tools....but as with all woodworking, attention to detail is very evident in the end product.
    Some of the new Dremels they have out now are pretty lightweight and not much bigger than holding a big ball point pen in your hand. I'm pretty sure you can control them pretty well. Plus they sure do have a nice assortment of bits for just about anything to use in them. I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself. Wanted one for a long time.

Oh, and what I REALLY want after using one now is one of those sonic saws. Extremely handy tool. Now that I think about it the triangle sanding attachment for it would probably work on the diamond willow as well.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have never done Willow so I`m not sure how soft of a wood it is but for cedar I use a power washer, start with a wider fan spray and go smaller slowly so you don`t dig into the wood. Cleans all the nooks & crannies without damaging the wood.

What do you make with it?

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    What do you make with it?
    Walking sticks, banister rails / spindles, posts / pillars, lamp bases, furniture, drawer pulls / cabinet door handles...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Always wanted to do my own furniture with diamond willow. Without giving up your picking spots (unless you can), what areas are best for searching for the right pieces of diamond willow?
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Always wanted to do my own furniture with diamond willow. Without giving up your picking spots (unless you can), what areas are best for searching for the right pieces of diamond willow?
    The only thing more common than diamond willow is black spruce... It's everywhere. It's probably in your back yard.
    #Resist