Thread: Iso-butane Availability

Default Iso-butane Availability

I'm flying into Anchorage at 11pm on Sept. 2. Since I can't fly with gas for my stove I had two plans that kind of fell through. The first was to pre-order at Walmart for in-store pickup but the gas isn't available as an in-store pickup item. The second was to order through Amazon and have it shipped to the hotel. Since I am a prime member I get free two day shipping so I could accurately judge when to order and when it will arrive. Well, none of the isobutane gas I found offers prime shipping and they give you a window of dates it could arrive. So I would order early enough to be sure it was there and with the window it could be sitting around for a week, which I am sure the hotel does not want.

Long story longer, Is this an item that I can just expect to be able to find at 7am on the 3rd or should I source it beforehand.

Walmart and Fred Meyer should have it in store, both should be open by 7am, and not a long taxi ride from the airport. Could call ahead and see if they would hold it for you.

I'll have a rental car that morning. My dad's concern is that at the Walmart here they have 3-4 canisters at any one time but I would guess that since the use is probably much more prevalent up there, they stock a lot more.

You can readily find Isobutane fuel at Wal Mart, Fred Meyer, REI, Sportsman Warehouse, Cabelas and Bass Pro as well as many smaller hardware stores.

You should have no issue scaring up a can or two.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Im sure if it really came down to it, you could probably work something out with one of the Anchorage members of this forum and ship it to their place. Just an idea, good luck.

REI, get the snowpeak brand. Burns better at colder temps than other stuff i've used it has more propane to butane ratio.

If your flying out on a transporter you may not be able to bring isobutane. Just ran into this on a sheep hunt. Liquid fuel and green propane only. Guess their has been a regulation change recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    If your flying out on a transporter you may not be able to bring isobutane. Just ran into this on a sheep hunt. Liquid fuel and green propane only. Guess their has been a regulation change recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not recent. The regulation has been in place since early 1990's. Enforcement became more serious about seven years ago after DOT/FAA noted some problems with how poorly the canisters were made.

It also depends on the type of air service you are flying on. 40 mile operates under a different cert than other smaller cub operators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup 40 mile is who I flew in on. Don't seem to have trouble with isobutane in Kodiak though.

Ya, most people I bumped into in MI had never seen the MSR stoves and such, thought that was teh coolest thing when I was heating up coffee at Tippy every morning. Thougher to find there, here, those canisters are avaialbe at 7-11.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts