Thread: Alaska airplane insurance prices.

Default Alaska airplane insurance prices.

Without going to an insurance website and putting information in to get a quote on a plane I don't have yet what are some general prices you guys are paying for insurance. This will be for a low time new pilot with a Stinson 108. There will be a loan on it so I assume the bank will require full coverage.

Living like kings

I pay about 1800$ a year for my PA-18 and I have about 300 hrs.

I'm paying $900 a year for my pa-20. 26k in hull(ground/taxi/air) and the standard million dollar liability. 0hrs in type when I bought it which I suspect increased the price a lot.

Prices can swing wildly depending on total time, time in type, type of air craft and total hull value. Also Avemco has told me Alaska pays a premium regardless of what you are doing with the plane because tons of people wreck planes up here. 900$/year is a smoking deal, must be a combination of your time, low hull value and that make and model of plane must have a good track record nationally.

Price goes up the moment you want to do anything commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    I'm paying $900 a year for my pa-20. 26k in hull(ground/taxi/air) and the standard million dollar liability. 0hrs in type when I bought it which I suspect increased the price a lot.
    What insurance carrier and what broker?
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Prices can swing wildly depending on total time, time in type, type of air craft and total hull value. Also Avemco has told me Alaska pays a premium regardless of what you are doing with the plane because tons of people wreck planes up here. 900$/year is a smoking deal, must be a combination of your time, low hull value and that make and model of plane must have a good track record nationally.

Price goes up the moment you want to do anything commercial.
    Ya, nothing commercial. The pacer actually has a terrible record. A citabria or similar value cub(lol) would have been cheaper insurance wise. Or anything with a nose wheel.
    Avemco is a massive rip off for Alaskans.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    What insurance carrier and what broker?
    Falcon insurance out of Soldotna. Underwritten by Lloyds.

A friend of mine is a low hour pilot and he had a new cub built and he mentioned he pays $4k per year I believe. I have no idea witch company.

Park a $125K+ airplane outdoors in Alaska and your insurance will be in the $4-5K range in my experience. Doesn't matter if it's a Cessna or a Cub or even an experimental. More pilot time and training helps some but the airplane insured value has the most impact. Some insurers allow you to set the value while others will quote your airplane at their book value and that may be much lower. Read your quotes and coverages carefully.