Thread: Gun prices

Default Gun prices

Going back a few years, gun prices grew with the demand created by the anti gun laws. Even though it can
    still be hard to find 22 LR ammunition. Other calibers of ammunition are available more.

Back when I bought my Super Redhawk. I noticed that (in a video) the Anchorage Walmart had the same
    gun for around what I paid. But I thought that things were supposed to cost more in Alaska. The store here
    actually tried to raise the price from what they originally told me. Another place here was 100 more
    from the start. More recently I priced another revolver and the store only went 45 under retail. I feel that the demand has reduced but the stores are still trying to ride a higher demand wave that has fizzled greatly. I'll have to take my business elsewhere.

I realize that prices can vary greatly from town to town in Alaska. Most likely much more available
    around cities like Anchorage. Is the demand reducing in Alaska when compared to a couple years ago?
    Have the prices leveled off some?

It seems like most guns are available with most of the big box stores discounting guns a little. Ammo is now available for most anything that used to be on the shelves except 22 LR. We have a Cabela's here now and you can order stuff on their in store kiosks for what I assume to be the same price as any other Cabela's. A lot of stuff is more expensive here, especially the things you have to have like groceries, gasoline, housing, cars, clothing and the like. Once out of Los Anchorage, things get more expensive. Get off the road system and prices skyrocket. Gas and diesel are $6 to $8 per gallon in some of the remote villages possibly higher in some places. Yeah, for a while, ARs were scarce and running $2000 plus. Now they are all over the place with prices starting under $700.

BUDS GUNS are as close to wholesale or dealers cost. If you have an FFL you can get them to your door cheap.

An example is a zastava m88a 9mm I picked up. Cabelas wanted $349. Buds was less then $200 delivered.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I've been watching Buds for the revolver. It's not in stock right now. They have it in Blue but I wanted SS.
    I try to buy locally whenever possible. My concern is that when people buy at places like Walmart, it runs
    the little store out of business. Then Walmart drops the products and you can't get them anymore. But some
    of the little stores are getting too greedy. One place opened right at the peak of the demand and another
    changed the person that gives prices. The places I felt most comfortable with have closed. I'll probably have
    to buy at Bud's eventually.

I sometimes watch someone on YouTube from the Anchorage area. Gas has been running around 30 cents more
    in Anchorage compared to here. Gas was pretty expensive especially at one gas station on the Alaskan highway.
    I think Ohio had the cheapest gas while driving back. Ohio was $2.399 a gallon. At Toad River Lodge (Alcan) gas was $1.459 a liter.
    If I calculated it correctly that would be $5.5229 per gallon at Toad River Lodge.
    Juneau was $3.399. We wrote down every time we bought gas. It helps us plan future trips.

The only problem with the little guys/gals is markup. Around here, michigan, mom and pop stores markup is hugh. I looked at the same gun in a local store. The owner didn't want to look it up. Strike 1. Then he talked it down after never had or held one. Strike 2. Then when he said he would order it the price was $399. Double the price online.....strike 3.

Small businesses need to remember that without the consumer, their out of business. If I had a store, I would bend over backwards to help someone get what they want.

Today I went for a tractor belt. The owner didn't want to cross reference or check stock because it wasn't what he wanted to do, which was leave his conversation about his cousin's wife. Yep, customer service.....

When I find a mom and pop store who sells guns here and is helpful, I will order....until then Buds.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I like your thinking Ron.
    My best Bud here in Iowa has had his FFL for years. He also had a gun shop for years. The man looks every customer in the eye and usually asks them what they are looking for and how much they have to spend. He takes the time to visit with the customers and many a time he has shown the customer his log book so they could see what he actually has invested in the gun and they go from there. One can not be any more honest with his customers than that. Most of my 343 gunbroker purchases have gone on Ray's shelf for resale. I have bought several guns from Bud's when they were on sale. I have also bought a lot from Richie's. I bought 5 or 6 Remington 783's for an average of $220/gun with shipping. Ray sells them for $250. I bought probably a dozen Howa's in various calibers from an outfit in Texas for $350 or less each and these are the ones with the Hogue stocks. Ray sells them for $375. Bass Pro 30 minutes down the road wants $375 for the 783s and $525 for the Howas........and they are getting it. The old saying a fool and his money are soon parted is very true. I would guess that most shoppers walk into Cabela's, Bass Pro etc find the gun that gives them warm fuzzies and then pull out the plastic and buy it. They are in such a hurry to get to the Steak House and buy that $50 per plate meal that they can no more afford than the gun they just bought. I just read somewhere that 40% of homeowners refinance their homes at least one time to pay off credit cards. Cabela's and Bass Pro love those people. I would bet about any amount of money(if I were a gambling man, which I ain't)that GrassLakeRon does not buy on impulse. I would also imagine that is true of about 90% of the people on this forum.

My honest opinion is that every mom and pop gun shop has the ability to be fair and still thrive. With this thing called the world wide web you do not have to pay top dollar for what you put on the shelf. You do not have to make all of your profit for the day on one sale. If you do then guys like Ron and I will go to Bud's or any one of 100 like them. When I go to a gun shop I already know what that gun on line is going to cost me. I will give mom & pop a margin of profit to keep the purchase local. Just keep it real!

The local gun stores on the Kenai Penninsula are few and they usually have a big mark up. I like supporting small gun shops, but they have to be reasonable. One thing about buying from a place like Walmart is it keeps guns in there stores, which means more gun owners. Guns are a good investment if one buys quality. Few of us wear a gun out because we shot it a bunch and they are great items to pass on to family. Guns are a good investment and I try to buy a new one every year.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The local gun stores on the Kenai Penninsula are few and they usually have a big mark up.
    Yes.... When I eventually was in the market for another pistol, Sportsman's wasn't here yet and neither was Walmart. Three Bears didn't have what I wanted. I ended up finding a Ruger stainless RH in 45lc. Both small shops had them....one was less than the other. I liked the other guy (that was higher) better so I told him I would rather buy from him if he would give me a better price. He did and threw in a couple other things too. When dealing with mom and pops, if you let them know you would rather buy from them, "sometimes" they will help you out. If not....then they'll loose my business.

I've never bought a gun online, but being in the market now for another rifle, after looking online there sure seems to be a lot of good deals. But, I've never dealt with an FFL for shipping so I can't say how much that'll cost me. I guess I need to go look at Bud's now.........lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Most mom and pop stores I know of guns are the loss leader and money is made on the extras like ammo,slings and such. I shop Buds and have guns shipped to the cop shop for free paper work. Buds less than wholesale most the time with free shipping and no tax,how can you lose.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I shop Buds and have guns shipped to the cop shop for free paper work.
    Well that's a first I've ever heard of doing this. Will any cop shop do this or is it just because you've got friends down there...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I appreciate the info, you guys are giving.

I've been told that the stores don't make big bucks on the sale of a gun.

With me, Availability is a big issue.

Say, you're lookin for a particular one, and nobody has it, cept ONE store, because they're scarce. Well, then that's what you're faced with.

Also, why would a store sell a firearm that is popular, and in great demand, at a much discounted price? They might even up the normal mark-up.

The question to you, is are you willing to pay, another $20, for example, or keep lookin.

I know that some of you guys are gooder at finding things than me.

Used guns are another story. Andy told me that because of he Internet, it's a Nation Wide Market.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well that's a first I've ever heard of doing this. Will any cop shop do this or is it just because you've got friends down there...???
    They all can do it but check with your local to see if they will
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have no problem paying a 10% markup to support a local business, but once you get around the 20% or higher then I've lost interest in supporting the local business.

I'm fortunate to have a friend with an FFL so ordering a gun on line is as simple as ordering anything else on line. The only difference is it's shipped to his shop and I have some paperwork to fill out for the transfer.

Buds, Grabagun, Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore, Palmetto State...
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.