Thread: Range time..

Default Range time..

I took my grandson to the Snowshoe Gun Range today for his Hunter Ed Class and some trigger time prior to the class. He did well as did most of the class and the instructors were safe and patient. It is a good thing!

He shot his CZ .22 I got him a few years ago and he does well with it and the 4 x Leupold Rim Fire scope. I brought my new Stoger 12 gauge Uplander with the 24" barrels that I put matching Briley Imp. Cyl. chokes in. I thought it would make a good scatter gun to keep in my toy hauler. I fired off a bunch of low recoil tactical buck shot at 5 and 15 yards and it threw tight patterns. It shot the Brenneke 3' Black Magic 600 grain slugs close enough together for what I want it for at those ranges.

The Stoger is not that heavy and those big Brenneke slugs were absolutely no fun, they were borderline brutal. After trying to shoot 10 of them in fast pairs I realized any dreams I ever had of being fast with 2 shots from a big double rifle were just dreams. I salute any one who has mastered a large caliber double rifle. This old Alaskan ain't man enough for it.

My grandson said when I shot the right barrel it went up to the right and up to the left with the left barrel. I can attest to that. He laughed every time I shot it and declined my offer to give it a try. I still have about 30 of those bruisers and they will be reserved for the bear that comes into the toy hauler. So I probably won't ever have to shoot those painful blasters again!

I think I do much better with my old Vang Comped 870. Maybe I should get a .410!

One difference between all the old double rifles I've shot and your Uplander is weight. Those firing 600 grain loads faster than the 12 gauge rocked you pretty good, but were manageable with good technique. But they weighed between 10.5# and 12.5#, depending. What does your Uplander weigh? I'd dump the Brenneke's for something lighter before giving up on it.

I have a lightweight 54 cal inline muzzleloader that tips the scale right at 7# with a scope. Tried some 550 grain slugs at around 1100fps. Scoped myself every single time I pulled the trigger, no matter how I held it! Felt pretty stupid with all those eyebrow cuts when I finally gave up on it! Now I'm shooting it with 300 grain slugs lots faster, and if I behave myself with the scope, it doesn't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I took my grandson to the Snowshoe Gun Range today for his Hunter Ed Class and some trigger time prior to the class. He did well as did most of the class and the instructors were safe and patient. It is a good thing!

He shot his CZ .22 I got him a few years ago and he does well with it and the 4 x Leupold Rim Fire scope. I brought my new Stoger 12 gauge Uplander with the 24" barrels that I put matching Briley Imp. Cyl. chokes in. I thought it would make a good scatter gun to keep in my toy hauler. I fired off a bunch of low recoil tactical buck shot at 5 and 15 yards and it threw tight patterns. It shot the Brenneke 3' Black Magic 600 grain slugs close enough together for what I want it for at those ranges.

The Stoger is not that heavy and those big Brenneke slugs were absolutely no fun, they were borderline brutal. After trying to shoot 10 of them in fast pairs I realized any dreams I ever had of being fast with 2 shots from a big double rifle were just dreams. I salute any one who has mastered a large caliber double rifle. This old Alaskan ain't man enough for it.

My grandson said when I shot the right barrel it went up to the right and up to the left with the left barrel. I can attest to that. He laughed every time I shot it and declined my offer to give it a try. I still have about 30 of those bruisers and they will be reserved for the bear that comes into the toy hauler. So I probably won't ever have to shoot those painful blasters again!

I think I do much better with my old Vang Comped 870. Maybe I should get a .410!
    That was a great read!

The only time I've popped myself with a shotgun was hare hunting, I carry #4 shot chambered, one more #4 in the tube and then slugs after that. Well I didn't realize I had shot at a hare twice already and I was holding the shotgun as if #4 was about to come out but I was on the third shell and the brenneke recoil shoved that pistol grip right into my chin. It wasn't real noticeable but I was still embarrassed!

I always go over board when I buy ammo. I should of bought one box of those monster slugs. Now I have 35 of them I will dread shooting. I will try some 2 3/4 Black Magic slugs some day and maybe sell these 3" beasts to one of my younger buddies. I like the Stoger as it was cheap and a double 12 ga. is cool to me. It will travel with me on the big trip we are going on. My grandsons like looking down the big bore, I do too. From the receiver end of course!