Thread: Who is running the Yukon?

Default Who is running the Yukon?

My dad and I bought a 21' North River Commander this year, so we'll be making our first run on the Yukon in a couple of weeks. We plan to put in at the bridge and run downriver to Tanana, where we will gas up, and then on to the Novi.

We are hoping for a trip free of major incidents, so we have read up here and elsewhere on what guys have to say about staying in the channel on the Yukon. That said, reading up is no substitute for experience. If any of you gents know the channel and plan to leave from the bridge on the morning of the 7th, we'd certainly appreciate the opportunity to trail you downriver for a day.

We get the basics - follow the cut bank, avoid apparent shortcuts, etc. We have also heard to run the Rampart Rapids on the right side if headed downriver. Anything else to keep in mind?

Thanks, guys.

We have always hugged the left hand bank when travelling downriver through the Rampart rapids. Being through there at very low water, it was still very deep there and the obvious main channel. A friend of ours came up the opposite bank some years ago at higher water levels and ripped the jet right out of his inboard on a rock and had to have it barged to Nenana. River left going down.

Left bank through the Rampart rapids - got it. My boat and my dignity both thank you, kind sir.