Thread: Over Powered Boat

Default Over Powered Boat

I have a friend that is looking at a 22' C Dory. It is rated for 100hp max, but it has a 140hp motor on it. A new 140 weighs about the same as an old 100. I told him that he may have transom problems if he hammers it and tries running it fast. He had an interesting question I did not know about. Are there Coast Guard issues with being over the boat spec for horsepower, like there would be without having flotation or other issues? Do you think there would be any insurance issues or other issues with being over powered like this?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Post the same question on the C-Dory owner's site. Www.c-brats.com. You'll get a lot of answers very quickly.

My tolman widebody is essentially the same dimensions as a C-dory 22 and Renn speced the widebody for 90 horse mainly due to weight. I hung a suzuki 140 on the transom. I've never found the boat to be over powered. I prefer to have a reserve of power. It's rare for the water conditions to allow me to run WOT, but it's nice to be able to run 25-28 knots when conditions allow or 30 and change if I open it up.

From a performance standpoint I don't think the added power will damage the transom, the greatest strain on the transom is trailering the boat and bouncing down the Seward highway.

The insurance issue I don't know about, but I could see where if the owner got into an accident and it was found he was running an larger engine than the boat manufacturer listed they could refuse to cover him.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I asked my insurance company about this when I was over-powered on one of my boats and they said if it is more than the data plate then it can't be insured, and if I lied and there was an accident, I would be liable. This was from State Farm. Your insurance may vary.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I asked my insurance company about this when I was over-powered on one of my boats and they said if it is more than the data plate then it can't be insured, and if I lied and there was an accident, I would be liable. This was from State Farm. Your insurance may vary.
    That's what I would expect to hear from any insurance company, doesn't seem like rocket science...

So here is an honest question, seeking an honest answer. Not stirring the pot, not wanting an internet fight, but if its so cut an dry, why can't anyone make a data plate (or someone require a data plate) that is legible after a few years? Of the three I have in posession now, and the three or so previous I have owned, only ONE had a readable tag.

Quote Originally Posted by akboater80 View Post
    So here is an honest question, seeking an honest answer. Not stirring the pot, not wanting an internet fight, but if its so cut an dry, why can't anyone make a data plate (or someone require a data plate) that is legible after a few years? Of the three I have in posession now, and the three or so previous I have owned, only ONE had a readable tag.
    Ha ha ha, legit question, I will say my 1972 Hewescraft River Runner has a metal plate up under a covered part of the transom and it is quite readable at 43 years and running...