Thread: Deep Creek -Halibut

Default Deep Creek -Halibut

We have some friends in town and are thinking about taking them halibut fishing out of Deep Creek either Thursday or Friday this week. We have not been fishing down there since the end of June so do not have any clue as to how it has been fishing lately.

Anybody care to share a fishing report? Not looking for locations just hoping to find out if the fish are still in the area and if it is worth fishing at this time.

Thanks in advance.

dg

Kayak crew reporting decent halibut still by Anchor Pt. my experience is the fishing is good through September. I have gotten a slight uptick in reports of "mushy" halibut. So you may want to reconsider keeping any heavily liced or abnormally thin fish.

Charters are bringing some huge fish in looking through my Facebook and other posts. Here's a recent ADN article. http://www.adn.com/article/20150813/...rage-residents

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I picked one up out of deep creek last weekend in about an hour. Pulled anchor and went closer to Anchor point and caught our limit for 4 people in about 2 hours.

We ended up launching out of Deep Creek on Friday afternoon and headed south before anchoring up. The fishing was slow at first. We managed to pick up 14 fish total. The fish seemed to be smaller on the average than at the beginning of the season. We did manage one fish that was close to 40lbs. We ended up getting blown off the water and had to leave earlier than planned.

Most likely our last halibut trip of the season.