Thread: Pot Puller Location Ideas

Default Pot Puller Location Ideas

Well I decided Iím going to purchase an electrodyne for my2525 Kingfisher but I donít know where I want to place the electrodyne, againstthe bulkhead or on a davit. Wouldplacing it on the bulkhead create issues getting in and out of the cabin? It just seems like it would cluster the areaespecially when retrieving the line.
    If I place it on a davit I would go three piece so I can removeit when not in use, but where should it go: transom/swimdeck, or the end of thefishing deck near transom, or near the cabin bulkhead?
    If the Kingfisher owners have pictures sharing them would begreat. Iíve reviewed the other threadswith pictures but Kingfisher bulkhead/roof setups are a little different. Thanks for the advice.
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

I don't know what the back of the house looks like but if you can do a flush mount that would have the least amount of hauler exposed, of course you have to have room on the inside of the house for the motor and gearbox. IMO mounting on the stern is a no-no, not good to be working the gear backwards to the seas. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions from the guys on here. I have a running demo hauler at the pot barn and your more than welcome to stop by to take a look and get any measurements for your install. Maybe the hauler in a box might work for your needs ?? Any questions just call 775-1692 or email.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

My previous boats were older fiberglass hulls and a 42' Sunfjord all set up to pull over the side and never knew any different. With our Kingfisher we have the Ace pulling off the downrigger mount in the back corner, starboard side set up to pull from the corner and I have come to really like that area better. The hull naturally drifts stern to the seas on the angle and we have pulled in a couple of nasty situations and the seas break on the corner of the hull just fine and the resulting hull motion makes it real easy to keep your feet under you. Can't talk to the effects of pulling from the side on our lighter hulls but I know I don't care for taking wakes, seas on the beam on our 2825 and your a foot narrower. Either way, congrats on the ED.

I have to........ "ED In A Box" - is that a Justin timberlake song?

Ok, bulkhead mount, or mid/back fishing deck for pulling pots? And why? I'm trying figure out the ins and outs of each. Thanks
    Ryan

Read the capsized boat in valdez thread. This is purely speculation on my part but it says they went out to haul shrimp pots, 3 people in stern, boat took water over the stern or thru a stern door and boat filled with water, many boats don't have watertight decks so water fills any holds or bilge makes boat even heavier/lower in water for next wave/waves to add more to the disaster. Most likely hauler mounted on/near the stern so hauling backwards to weather.
    OK picture same scene in better weather but pots are hung down so backwards to weather and a good sized boat wake or smaller waves could cause the same thing to happen. See why i don't like haulers mounted on the backends of boats.
    If mounted on the side up behind house then the boat can be "run up the line" so pots are hauled more straight up & down and bow is into the wind/weather. Less chance of hanging down when hauling this way.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks to all who responded. I'm going to mount the electrodyne near the cabin bulkhead. I'm either going to mount directly on the bulkhead or 15" off the bulkhead on a davit. Which location would be the best?

I'm hoping to hear from those who have it mounted directly on the bulkhead, I'm concerned it would be cramped quarters retrieving line so close to the bulkhead.

Thank you
    Ryan