Thread: Bear Fence On An Island?

Default Bear Fence On An Island?

We are planning a hunting trip to an area with lots of bears and intended to sleep on an island to reduce our chances of having a late night visitor. Now we decided to get an electric bear fence as well. The island is pretty small, maybe 100'x100' about 600' from the shore. We'll be cooking / storing food on the mainland, not the island.

Is it a bad idea to put the fence around our camp on the island? What happens if we wake up to find ourselves on this little island with a bear? Should we just keep quiet or try to shoo it away?

Curious what others think.

Thanks,
    Mark

I've seen bears swimming five miles from shore.Think of all the Alaska islands with bears. I would be more worried about weather on a small island
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Bears are good swimmers and I've seen them swimming more than a mile offshore. Leaving food on the mainland will definitely cut the odds of a bear encounter but a bear fence will let you sleep better.

I ran off a griz one night sniffing the tent just saying "hey bear" in a low voice.... he left a trail of poo about 30' long leaving. Sitting there getting sniffed in silence didn't seem appropriate.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks, do you think that if a bear saw us on this tiny island with them it would be willing to get back in the water and swim away? Or do you think because the island is so small it might make the bear feel threatened with both of us in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Moven_North View Post
    Thanks, do you think that if a bear saw us on this tiny island with them it would be willing to get back in the water and swim away? Or do you think because the island is so small it might make the bear feel threatened with both of us in it?
    That's kind of up to the bear. It's just my experience that bears have no aversion to water whatsoever- either coming or going. The island you're talking about is 1000 sq ft.- unlikely to even attract a bear to start with unless you put some kind of food attractant on it.

I'd just put up the fence and get a good night's sleep.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Nobody in their right mind will tell you what a bear will do. Yes, "most" of the time when they know you're there they will go away. But depending on their mood for that day, hour, minute, they just may not.

You can never second guess a bear. They're just too unpredictable.

As hodgeman said, put up your fence and try not to worry about what they'll do.

Just sleep with a big gun next to your pillow.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

i'd have my food inside the fence, not in the bears front yard. put it on the mainland away from your fence ya might as well put a big red bow on the box.
    like 4mer said...every bear is different, most are fine. but they are all weird.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We are planning a hunting trip to an area with lots of bears and intended to sleep on an island to reduce our chances of having a late night visitor. Now we decided to get an electric bear fence as well. The island is pretty small, maybe 100'x100' about 600' from the shore. We'll be cooking / storing food on the mainland, not the island.

Is it a bad idea to put the fence around our camp on the island? What happens if we wake up to find ourselves on this little island with a bear? Should we just keep quiet or try to shoo it away?

Curious what others think.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Just make sure that fence is working properly before you go to bed, and sleep like a baby. No point in keeping quiet if he comes on that small island with you, he already knows you are there, and obviously made the choice to come to you anyway.... its time to make noise.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Last summer my dad and I went camping on camp island lake. At about 1130 at night early june i think, we were getting ready to fall asleep when I heard a large splash and stood up to find that large brown animal was swimming towards my tent and not looking to change course without some encouragement. I ran to the shore and yelled several times, not knowing what this animal was. It turned its head and cut to my left still swimming like the dickens not even a little bit frightened about me yelling at it. It climbed on the island and ran towards the middle staying out of sight of us then i assume it laid down and was quite or it swam on but i did not hear it run in the water. A couple mins later I heard what sounded like big foot dragging a coleman at a dead sprint through alders and small spruce. Myself I am wondering what the hell someone is dragging a canoe at 1130 at night and with such energy, when it became apparent it was a brown bear that was running full bore and jumping into the water like the dogs you see jumping off the dock after the plastic toys. The bear was about a third of the way across the 125 yards it is to the other side, before my yelling and headlight flashing got it to turn around. Who knows what would have happened had we not been awake. As unlikely as it is a animal will run through your camp, I don't believe a electric fence will stop a animal running full bore in fear or off of adrenaline, simply won't feel it fast enough.