Thread: Garmin GCV 10

Question Garmin GCV 10

Anyone running a GCV 10? If so, how do you like it, how was the installation? Does it come with its own transducer?

I just installed a Garmin 7607xsv and GT51-TM transducer. I still need fiddle with the settings and get used to using it but it's night and day vs my old Garmin unit. I wish I could have afforded a larger display, but no complaints on the chirp sonar.

The transducer stops reading above 20 knots but I just have to fiddle with the mounting as its an issue with turbulance.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Is anyone running dual transducers? I would like to have a high power (1k watt) transducer in combination with Chirp (or downview/sideview). Can you just toggle in software between the two?

Or maybe chirp is good enough so read bottom deep for shrimping and when on step??

I run two transducers. One is a chirp transducer, and the other gives me traditional/down and side vu. I use two displays. I'm very happy with the down/side vu transducer, but the chirp transducer has quit working and I don't really miss it that much anyways.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

That 6307xsv is a really nice unit, but beyond what I am going to spend at this time.

I want to upgrade, and I want to expand, but in small steps. The 6312 is where I think I will eventually get to. I want to try to do the first step by upgrading to a good transducer and only using the 741xs. My wife can Bluetooth into it with her Ipad so we have 2 displays, but really only 1 input for a transducer.
    The 6312 is a 12 pin ducer and the 741 is an 8 pin ducer.

I am looking into possibly getting a cheap 8 pin transom mount chirp transducer - run it up to the existing 741 and swap as desired. Then later on upgrade.

Currently the 741 works pretty darn good with the cheapo transducer it came with. I can read pretty deep on step at 25-30mph and the clarity is pretty good.