Thread: Another great Sheep Hunt

Default Another great Sheep Hunt

This hunt started about 12 years ago, before I was a sheep hunter. A new friend called and asked if I’d be willing to go on a sheep hunt with him, that after 20 years he had finally drawn a coveted Delta Controlled Use Area (DCUA) tag. It was an epic walk-in hunt. 25+ miles one way. He got his ram and I got bit by the sheep hunting bug. I haven’t been the same and have sheep hunted ever since. His ram was the first I packed and ate. There have since been 9 others and I’ve got to lower the boom on 4 of them.

Over the years it never worked out for us to sheep hunt again until last year. On the second stalk on a ram I fell in a steep, rocky chute and dislocated my shoulder. We popped it back in, finished the stalk (no ram) and hunted 4 more days.

We still had the feeling of “unfinished business”…. us hunting together and me pulling the trigger.

It was a typical sheep hunt (if there is such a thing!) 10 days of hot sun, cold temps, high winds, snow, rain, sleet, long valleys, steep passes, rocky ridges, stream crossings, brush busting, etc.

We saw 6 griz, 2 wolverines, caribou, 60+ ewes and lambs, 15 rams… one shooter.....8 year old broomer. I guess that means we batted a 1000

I found this horn half buried in the rocks 10 ft from where the ram landed in the steep chute. Nice one. I brought it home.

Last edited by Snyd; 10-17-2015 at 18:36.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Excellent! Man, that makes me happy to see you find success again! How wonderful that it was shared with a long-time friend and hunting partner. Well done, sir!

Glad it all came together for you. Now I have been biting my lip and not posting pics of that new pistol so get to it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Glad it all came together for you. Now I have been biting my lip and not posting pics of that new pistol so get to it.

LOL.... ok, done... it's in the handgun forum
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Very nice way to enjoy your friendship! Well done!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Congrats on a successful hunt without too much bad karma this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    We saw 6 griz, 2 wolverines, caribou, 60+ ewes and lambs, 15 rams… one shooter.....8 year old broomer. I guess that means we batted a 1000

Most excellent......Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There is balance in your world. Congrats!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Really happy for you Snyd...glad to see it.

Now there you go..................a story that doesn't allow any information that might help another hunter decrease your future chances of success! You can see why he's a mod!!
    Congrats Snyd. Hope there are many more to come!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Now there you go..................a story that doesn't allow any information that might help another hunter decrease your future chances of success! You can see why he's a mod!!
    Congrats Snyd. Hope there are many more to come!

Here is the clue....

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    We saw 6 griz, 2 wolverines, caribou, 60+ ewes and lambs, 15 rams…

Dislocated your shoulder? Yikes. Been there and done that, you must have popped it before to reduce it and keep going?
    Looks like a great adventure, how do you like hiking in the Lowas?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Dislocated your shoulder? Yikes. Been there and done that, you must have popped it before to reduce it and keep going?
    Looks like a great adventure, how do you like hiking in the Lowas?
    I had dislocated my other shoulder about 20+ years ago and at that time learned how to reduce it. Last year when it happened to my other shoulder I knew what had to be done. Fortunately my partner was right there and I told him how to do it. It was only out for a couple minutes. whew....

Here's that story...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...the-sheep-mtns

Lowa Civettas. I'm on my second pair. I finally rounded off the edges and packed out the liners on my first pair. I love them in the mtns. Don't much like them on round river rock but I'll take the compromise. They are not waterproof though. I use a plastic oven bag between the liner and shell and that keeps my feet dry from wet grass, rain and creek crossings, etc. With gators and can do a quick ankle deep+ wade and stay dry. Koflachs don't fit my feet but the Lowas do. The liners have a rubber bottom and are like moccasins as "camp shoes".

Perry,

Way to get it done. That's a great ram. You earned him👊

Full Circle! Congrats!