Thread: New to waterfowl hunting and lots of questions

Default New to waterfowl hunting and lots of questions

Long story short, I'm going waterfowl hunting this year and my first go at it will be a trip of a lifetime. I have a few pump 12 guage shot guns, but I'm now looking at new auto loaders. I'm looking at the TriStar Viper and Stoeger M3000. Both seem nice for the dollar, balance well and seem to have good reviews. Is there a preference for gas operated or inertia guns? 26 or 28" Do I really need a camo gun?? I'm a left hand shooter, so the left handed Viper is appealing, do most autos eject forward so catching shells in the face is a non issue. I'll get to ammo selection later, but would like to get the gun bought ASAP so I can start getting rounds down range with it before October. Thanks

Don't waist your time with buying a cheap autoloader, if you spending that much get a Benelli Super Nova. It's a pump gun but is one of the best on the market. I shoot a Benelli Moneftro and love the gun. It's an inursa drive, which mean is has no gas system. Gas systems are a fraction of a second faster but need way more cleaning and jam alot more. If your a lefty get a lefty gun and the longer the barrel the better shooting it is. Just my 2 cents!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Iím sure either one of those would work fine. My wife has a Weatherby SA08 which looks like a clone of the TriStar and it works fine. You donít need a camo gun. Both the gas operated and inertia guns are good, just get one that fits you the best. I favor 26 inch on a repeating shotgun. Whatever you get, make sure you shoot it a bunch before the trip. Good luck and have a great season.

I shoot the SBE 2 with 26 inch love it.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I'll second the weatherby. Got myself and wife each a new one last year. Price was good and I like it much better then my extream 2. Nothing wrong with a good pump gun though.

stick with the pump if this is your first duck hunt! duck hunting can be wet, cold, and boring (I've fallen asleep more then a few times in the blind) would hate to drop some money on a nice gun just to find out that you don't like the sport. instead invest the money and go out trap shooting! you'll have more fun if you hit the ducks your shooting at! no need to dip your gun (camo) heck the Pump I shot spent three days at the bottom of the ocean and most of its blueing is gone! I just make sure to oil it before and after and I don't have any rust problems!

Note: what pumps do you have? are these the Tactical/bear protection kind? cause if so go buy a new gun.

Just my two cents. But if I were new to duck hunting I would spend my extra cash on decoys, clothing, waders, blind, etc. rather than the gun. Staying warm and dry while waiting for the birds, and also attracting them to you with your spread are far more difficult, important and expensive than shooting then when you finally get them into range. I would recommend a Mossberg 835 or a Winchester Model 870 express over a cheap autoloader any day. Once you really get into the sport and have all of your gear squared away, then spend the money for a quality purpose built shotgun. My preference in that regard is the Browning Cynergy Waterfowl edition for ducks and a Beretta Extrema for Geese.

Sorry about that I posted the reply below before proof reading it. It should say, "Mossberg 835, Winchester SXP or Remengton Model 870 express"

Like most have already told ya an auto gun isn't necessary. I shot a winchester super x pump for years and have killed more birds than I can count with it. Where your money needs to be spent is a boat and decoys. Then your time needs to be spent scouting and practicing calling. Duck hunting up here is hard work as some of these featherheads can attest to. Be prepared for an adventure and the proper gear to participate. The gun is probably the last on the list. You can kill birds with a cheap ol mossberg mavrick 88 if you dont mind a shoulder bruise.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

To answer some questions, my current pumps aren't really capable of bird hunting. My Mossberg 500 has a 18" barrel. I've contemplated buying a long barrel for it, but that's half the cost of a new gun. My grandpa's Winchester Model 12 only shoots 2 3/4" shells and needs work that I don't have time to do right not. I'm leaning heavily towards the TriStar Viper G2 in lefty and I may go pick it up tonight.

Also, this hunt I'm doing is fully guided, so I won't need decoy's, boats etc. If I enjoy it I may go that route in the future, but not necessary for this trip..

Sounds like you have your mind made up on the Tri Star which is great but in your first post sounded like you wanted to know how to get started in waterfowling. If your going on a guided hunt and everything is provided its a good way to see if you like to waterfowl hunt. But I will tell you this going on a guided hunt is a whole lot different then going out and finding your own spots your success rate is going to be much higher with the guide than when your first starting out on your own. Hope you have a great time and good luck. Chris

Agree with the above. Waterfowl hunting is not for everyone (even folks who love to hunt). I'd suggest either going with a guide or a buddy who knows the ropes before spending a lot of money on guns and gear. As far as guns go I hunted with 870s for many years and did fine. After taking a few shots with my buddies SBE II I let my wife know what was coming for my next XMas and birthday and have never looked back. Should have made that move years ago......
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

If interested, I have a Super Nova pump that needs a new barrel...I'd part with her for an extremely reasonable price or some decoys...

All you would have to do is buy a barrel for it. think they are like 250$

let me know
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

That's because I am his guide...

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Sounds like you have your mind made up on the Tri Star which is great but in your first post sounded like you wanted to know how to get started in waterfowling. If your going on a guided hunt and everything is provided its a good way to see if you like to waterfowl hunt. But I will tell you this going on a guided hunt is a whole lot different then going out and finding your own spots your success rate is going to be much higher with the guide than when your first starting out on your own. Hope you have a great time and good luck. Chris
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    That's because I am his guide...
    Get back to work LOL

Its a Ducks Unlimited Special edition if that makes a difference....

If interested, I have a Super Nova pump that needs a new barrel...I'd part with her for an extremely reasonable price or some decoys...

let me know

If your going on a guided hunt..that is not a way to gauge if you are going to like it or not. Here is a way to gauge it.

1. put on some blue jeans and tennis shoes, grab your pump 870 or model 12, throw a few dozen decoys over your shoulder and hike in a few miles and set up. Shoot a few birds and retrieve them. Gather your gear after about 6 hours and head back to the truck. Oh, did I mention the ambient temp was around 40 with a north wind of around 45mph.

Lots of details left out..but sure you get the moral of the story.

If you can handle that...then your set to be a waterfowler...

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post

let me know
    Or a DU 870 Supermag, all black, it would go for even less than that supernova....just sayin' oh there happens to be one sitting in my safe...just sayin' If you want to see it, just let me know, I'll even flip Mike $20 for letting us use his site to sell our stuff.
    Last edited by ERDucker; 08-19-2015 at 17:48. Reason: forgot someting

That's a great deal for someone getting into duck hunting. Sounds like two great deals..

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Or a DU 870 Supermag, all black, it would go for even less than that supernova....just sayin' oh there happens to be one sitting in my safe...just sayin' If you want to see it, just let me know, I'll even flip Mike $20 for letting us use his site to sell our stuff.