Thread: My Outdoor tomatoes, 2015 a good year for toms in the garden

Default My Outdoor tomatoes, 2015 a good year for toms in the garden

Been eating ripe "Taste good" tomatoes grown outdoors this year.
    "Sun golds" are bigger & more fruit than in the GH.
    Early girl are doing well.
    Klondike doing well but nothing ripe yet.
    Couple hybrids from Mark at Mid Valley GH
    A "Moskovich" I also got from Mark Pic with my hand on one of the big ones.
    DSCF5398.jpg

No blossom end rot on any of them but have some "bird bites"
    Overall pic:
    DSCF5399.jpg

Your "Outside" tomatoes did better than most of my GH toms.. My One outdoor Stupice did better than most of my GH toms.., but we've already identified the problem there, so Now looking forward to Next Year. I've got a couple old worn out car tires, and intend to grow a tom in one of them, Got all winter to figure out which type to try...

Super nice, there is something about growing tomatoes outside.

Frosted here last night , was 31░.

Tomatoes & Beans took a big hit
    Zucchini are toast
    :-(

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Been eating ripe "Taste good" tomatoes grown outdoors this year.
    "Sun golds" are bigger & more fruit than in the GH.
    Early girl are doing well.
    Klondike doing well but nothing ripe yet.
    Couple hybrids from Mark at Mid Valley GH
    A "Moskovich" I also got from Mark Pic with my hand on one of the big ones.
    DSCF5398.jpg

No blossom end rot on any of them but have some "bird bites"
    Overall pic:
    DSCF5399.jpg
    My one Klondike produced 44 nice sized toms. But it's getting so chilly in the GH that I brought all of them inside and put them in a southern window. Now We are getting some color.

A good reason to use bucket, you can
    Bring them inside in the Fall to get some more ripe tomatoes

Default Tomato death

The cold finally got me too, I kept them going pretty good until now. I did get a couple hundred pounds though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    The cold finally got me too, I kept them going pretty good until now. I did get a couple hundred pounds though.
    And that pretty well documents that some tomatoes can be grown outside in this part of AKů I'm going to try to copy what Dave did growing some in an old tire, Next Season. That Klondike produced nicely for us, but it must be a late tomato as I had to bring all of those tomatoes inside and put in a south window to fully ripen..

John< I think that the Klondik is more suited for the green house as mine ripen very well in the G/H.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    John< I think that the Klondik is more suited for the green house as mine ripen very well in the G/H.
    Sorry, my previous statement was kind of misleading.

We grew the Klondike in our little unheated GH, but when the night temps got down into the 30's I picked the tomatoes and moved them inside to a south window where they are nicely ripening.. Next yr I want to try some of the same varieties outdoors in old tires, that Dave and Mark did this year.

I got a couple of tomatoes from Klondike outside, and several from the greenhouse plant, the yield was great, the tomatoes were pretty, but the taste was ho-hum for me, and it was pretty late too. Try Cosmonaut Volkov, for a variety with similar cosmetic nice looks. it is earlier, and taste better too.

Default Tomatoes

Here's a pic of one of our hauls from the garden a couple of weeks ago, the tastes were great.

For outside gardening of indeterminates in AK, Early Girl is hard to beat because of its thicker skin which handles slugs and rainy weather better than many. It out produced 4th of July, not Summer Girl, but tasted better than the latter. I did grow others that tasted excellent, yielded excellent, but thin skin had its flaws in AK, HOWEVER, we did solve a couple of problems too.

For great determinates try Sasha's Altai, or 0-33. Both of these Russian varieties produce more tomatoes than you could imagine on two foot plants, they do taste like tomatoes, and being determinates they are great for canning, since many ripen in a short period of time.

I grew about 50 varieties outside, I do like others not mentioned, but most people should be able to grow these noted above if you use good soil warming technique.

This is for warmer ares that compare to our valley weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

early girls are mighty tasty but dang they are awefully prissy! 2nd year trying them this year.

For some reason this year the hole plants leaves curled on all 4 of my EGs top to bottom. All 4 produced fruit, but did have some BER issues in the pots. Calmag seemed to help, assumed lack of calcium. My sweet baby girls did extremely well! I need to get to the garage and do some picking before they get to far along.

I let one of the 4 EGs go...picked all the fruit off , fed it hard, plant started out growing the curl and added more fruit eventually it curled again, I'm guessing some form of nutrient deficiency. Not sure what the shindig is on it. All 4 were grown in large pots, as were the sweet baby girls.

Sweet baby girls produced a massive amount of dang good cherries! I grow them to pick before work and they didn't let me down again this year. Do well in pots, they are all around 25-30gal sized.