Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28' Kingfisher opinions

Default 28' Kingfisher opinions

After 30 years, I have decided to move to a boat with outboards. I still want it to be trailerable so I am looking in the 26-30 foot range. I want to buy used also. I never thought that I would be interested in the Kingfisher, but the wider beam and somewhat "cheaper" price is attracting me. I know that you usually get what you pay for, but I am looking for feedback from people that have some firsthand experience with them. I don't think I would go less than twin 200s for power. Any good, bad or ugly things would be helpful.

We have a Kingfisher 3025 with twin 200 Honda's, burn about 15 gph at cruise speed. I'ld say the only thing I don't like is the bathroom when you're over 6 feet tall. Gotta kick everybody out of the cabin because ya can't shut the door and sit down... heh

I just purchased my new kingfisher 2825 in March this year and absolutely love this boat. I have had a Bayliner 2556 and an Alumaweld 24' hardtop before this boat. The kingfisher cuts through the water better than any boat I have been on and is extremely stable in the water. My other boats pitched around a lot, but this boat sits very still in the water.
    I opted for the shower feature (something I came to love from the Bayliner) and it has been the only disappointment on the boat. The heater you get with it is a espar hydronic. This heater is woefully incapable of heating the cab in cold weather. I am having an espar airtronic heater (what i had on the 24' alumaweld) installed this fall.
    The Kingfisher has no flaws that i have seen thus far. It handles great and has more than adequate storage inside the cab and on the back deck. I have been out of Seward with 5 guys and limited out on almost every speicies (halibut, ling, yellow eye, sea bass, and silvers) and had plenty of room in the fish hold. The back deck is large enough to fish 5 guys, you have to watch your lines though. I opted not to have the drive station on the back deck and am happy I did not add it. It gives me more area on the back deck and I never can see a need to drive from back there. If I had to do it again I would have added the bow thruster, got talked out of it by a guy I work with but there have been several times coming into the dock and leaving that it would have been very handy to have.

As for the outboards I went with twin 150's. i was hesitant at first because I was concerned about being under powered. Since I have had them I am pleased with the performance. i top out at 44 MPH at 5500rpm. I normally cruise at 36-38mph at 4500rpm. I get around 2 miles per gallon no matter where I am at rpm wise. I bought my boat new because the deal I got from the dealer was at the same price used boats were going for so I couldn't pass up the deal. If your interested I can give you the name of the dealer I bought mine from (out of state). You won't be dissatisfied with this boat!!

I have an older 2825. Go with the 3025. Two more feet of deck/fishing space would be awesome. For my needs the fuel tank is way to small. I have an older one and it is only 125 gallons, I believe the newer models are in the 160g range. I have taken it from Cordova to Kodiak and all the ports in-between. The oversize permit is an extra $300(for six months) a year and now that you don't have to worry about Holiday weekends it is not that big of a deal. A friend has a newer 2825 and they have made some nice changes. I do prefer my older larger single fish box rather than the two smaller ones on the newer boats. The cleats on the angle rather than on the top flat surfaces of the boat are nice. The bowsprit is nice on the newer boats. An spar heater is a must for defrost and heat. The newer boats have one through hull rather than two but access to the valve can be an inconvenience. I have twin 225 yamaha (max power). You may not need that much motor but originally had twin honda 150's and felt it was underpowered. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate the info. pollards, what year do you have? This is one that I am thinking of looking at http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/5127534139.html It is a ways away, so Im trying to do some homework first to make sure it is worth my time to go look. It does have 250's, so it may guzzle some fuel. Any opinions on burn rate with this set up?

On the older 28's you could get both a short and long cabin. I have the short cabin. On the original builds with the long cabin and the rear station the starboard door on our single fish box would not open past halfway. At some point they went to the long cabin only which really eats up the rear deck space especially with the rear driving station. Not sure if there is still a fishbox door interference with the split fish boxes. Another thought, with our bigger back deck we are able to inflate a full size air bed for company under the top and it fits perfectly between the rear station and the stern wall. Looking at the picutre of the Skagway boat, cut the back window in half and the rest is your added deck space. I agree with polardds, I would get the 3025 and keep the deck space if I did it again. As for power there are a couple 2825's running around with a single 225 and those look to struggle when I have passed them. I have twin 130's and they are working full time but do fine with a heavy load. Most folks running the higher horse motors I have talked with get marginally better mileage than I do but are able to throttle back a bit where I am running those 130's for all they are worth. I fall back in the hole if I throttle back to 4000rpm where the bigger motors/props can stay on step. All that said, thats a lot of boat for the money on that Skagway deal. Pictures make me glad I bit the bullet on the electronic throttles though. I like the way they did the davit and no Wallas is a big plus in my book. I would interested in how he plumbed in the extra fuel indicated in the ad.

I have the 30 footer and am extremely happy with it. The extra deck space is really nice. I have the aft steering witch is nice when you need to chase after a king. It has the espar heater for the windows and also the the glass top cook top that when the lid is down hears the cabin as well. It will flat cook you out of the boat when we are deer hunting in November. One thing I would have done is put some heat outlets in the berth upfront and down low on the floor. I'm running twin merc verados 200's and it performs nicely.

My wife and I just bought a 2825 Coastal Express. Kind of a neat model that has a ton of deck space, and you don't need oversize tags. The only downfall (not for us though) is you loose the stand up head and kitchenette. It still has a porta-potti and will be able to sleep 4 of us. We should be getting it on Friday so I will let you know more after this weekend. The back deck is what sold us on this model as we will be able to easily have 6 people mooching at once without tangles. I want to say the back deck is about 8' x 10' on these ones. The other advantage is you are a lot lighter than the 2825 Weekender so you are able to run smaller motors. Mine is outfitted with a single 250 and 15HO kicker. The one thing I would highly recommend is get the heavier gauge aluminum upgrade. It stiffens the boat a bunch and makes for a much better ride.

I do bottom paint and boat repair. If Kingfisher boats would stop using bondo to make welds look better, and fill places on the hull I would like them better. They are a nice boat for the price. I have had to blast and repaint because of bondo popping loose.

Soundfisher, I have been looking at the kingfisher 2825 for quite some time. I just sold my boat this week so I am hoping to find something like this as well. I do believe that the Skagway boat is overpriced. I have seen a lot of 2825 come and go for a lot less than what they are asking for that particular year. You can get a newer boat than that for the same price. Not sure what your price range is but Mining and Diving had(might still have) a 2825 for 150k new.

If any of you who are looking for a kingfisher want to crawl around one let me know. Mine will be in my yard for the next week or so. I am in Eagle River. Also be happy to tell you what I like and don't about the boat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    If any of you who are looking for a kingfisher want to crawl around one let me know. Mine will be in my yard for the next week or so. I am in Eagle River. Also be happy to tell you what I like and don't about the boat.
    What do/don't you like about your kingfisher?

Soundfisher here is one in BC the asking price is in cdn so the boat itself would be less than 100k. http://m.kijiji.ca/powerboat-motorbo...=1440181992897

Default 2825?

Quote Originally Posted by fareforce View Post
    My wife and I just bought a 2825 Coastal Express. Kind of a neat model that has a ton of deck space, and you don't need oversize tags. The only downfall (not for us though) is you loose the stand up head and kitchenette. It still has a porta-potti and will be able to sleep 4 of us. We should be getting it on Friday so I will let you know more after this weekend. The back deck is what sold us on this model as we will be able to easily have 6 people mooching at once without tangles. I want to say the back deck is about 8' x 10' on these ones. The other advantage is you are a lot lighter than the 2825 Weekender so you are able to run smaller motors. Mine is outfitted with a single 250 and 15HO kicker. The one thing I would highly recommend is get the heavier gauge aluminum upgrade. It stiffens the boat a bunch and makes for a much better ride.
    @ Fareforce. Your 2625 grew into a 2825? Are you lying about the size of your vessel again?

Quote Originally Posted by Shanonamous View Post
    @ Fareforce. Your 2625 grew into a 2825? Are you lying about the size of your vessel again?
    Hahaha. No, I have a 2825 Coastal Express. They are 26' 7" by coast guard spec, but 28' 11" overall (without motors) I don't make the model numbers so you would need to ask Kingfisher why they did it that way and not follow the model number to sizing they did on their Offshore series. In the mean time don't be jealous that yours is only a 24'. =)

http://www.kingfisherboats.com/wp-co...talexpress.pdf

joebut1985 thanks for the heads up, but I really don't want to go that far. I liked the one I was looking at in Whitehorse because I did like the twin 250 package. I was second in line on it, but she informed me that the 1st guy bought it. The hunt continues. Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone.

We bought ours used so we didn't have any say on the outfitting of it. The wallas stove top is a pain. It only works part of time and was poorly and improperly installed. The paint is starting to peel in places and fall off in others. The upholstery is falling apart but my kids are hard on it. The wiring, while all very nice and neat, is one color. Kink of hard to troubleshoot five red wires to one switch. The macerator pumps on the fish boxes are junk. Had to replace them both (not an easy task), waiting for the one on the crap tank to fail.. The anchor locker doesn't hold near enough rode. 400 ft plus 50 ft of chain is all it will take. Someone has to stick there arm up in the locker to make that fit. With all that said the boat handles the rough stuff great., gets 2 mpg going 28 mph and we all like sleep warm and dry. The air ride drivers seat is fantastic, it has a real toilet and my wife is happy.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We bought ours used so we didn't have any say on the outfitting of it. The wallas stove top is a pain. It only works part of time and was poorly and improperly installed. The paint is starting to peel in places and fall off in others. The upholstery is falling apart but my kids are hard on it. The wiring, while all very nice and neat, is one color. Kink of hard to troubleshoot five red wires to one switch. The macerator pumps on the fish boxes are junk. Had to replace them both (not an easy task), waiting for the one on the crap tank to fail.. The anchor locker doesn't hold near enough rode. 400 ft plus 50 ft of chain is all it will take. Someone has to stick there arm up in the locker to make that fit. With all that said the boat handles the rough stuff great., gets 2 mpg going 28 mph and we all like sleep warm and dry. The air ride drivers seat is fantastic, it has a real toilet and my wife is happy.
    JR2 pretty much summed up my impression. I was just about convinced a 2825 was what we needed. Right price, space we needed, etc. After I looked at several I just couldn't do it. I always came to the same conclusion he has. Admittedly, I've never owned one but after my Hewes I couldn't justify going back to dealing with the corrosion and the nickle and dime stuff. All the Kingfishers I looked at had serious paint corrosion. They seemed like a sea worthy boat but that corrosion and the other issues he mentioned just gave me a bad feeling. Boats are inherently a money pit so getting one that's been well put together from the beginning is huge. I'm not knocking them, I had my Hewes for 4 years and it served us well. The 2825 Kingfisher is much more boat. I just couldn't justify spending well more than $100K only to deal with these issues. Save your pennies, wait a year, and jump up to something that won't nickle and dime you to death. Just my 2 cents.

The stove and anchor locker are a few of the reasons I picked the coastal express over the weekender.the coastal express anchor locker is much bigger and has an open top. I have 600' of rode plus 50' of chain with room to spare. I don't have to knock it over either when bringing it in. After looking at both Hewes and King fisher stove I was not impressed with either so my coastal has the cold air defroster so everything is pre-plumbed and ducted and I will add an espar 44 for the heat.

Soundfisher, you should take a look at the Norvelle boat on Alaska boat brokers. I know the boats first hand and it is dandy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast