Thread: Dg347

Default Dg347

Looking for tips and advice for hunting the dg347 goat tag for Seward. Can it be hiked or should it be hunted by boat? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

I would imagine you could do it either way. I have seen goats on Mount marathon so I know they're down that way.

Living like kings

Hi. Long time reader and first time poster here. I hunted DG347 on opening day and was lucky enough to shoot a decent Billy. From my experience with scouting the week before and up to the hunt I might consider taking a boat in. During my scouting trip I walked in from Lowell Point and started along the beach looking for a nice ridge to walk up. I walked in while the tide was out and spotted my goat but could not find a way up the mountain. Every ridge that I tried ended up at a cliff face or either to steep to get up. Every drainage that I tried ended up impassable.
    The day before opening day I walked in at Tonsina creek where the second foot bridge is and had a pretty easy walk about 2 miles in. As long as you walk the creek it's easy. Once you leave the creek its a never ending maze of devils club, ferns, berry plants, and bears....lots of bears. It took me almost a full day to get to my camp which was only about 4 miles from where I parked at Lowell point. If you have a machete I highly recommend bringing it. Its definitely worth the added weight. I didn't see a single Goat other than the one I shot in my area but where I marked on the map they are everywhere. There was a very good Billy/Nanny Ratio so finding a Billy shouldn't be hard. Getting to them is another story. Also, I wouldn trust the map or a gps with topo maps. I tried to find an easier way down the mountain for my pack out and ended up spending 2 days trying to walk out for what should have taken a 1/2 day. Cliffs are everywhere and google earth doesn't show them very well. If you have any questions feel free to message me. Ive attached my route and some pictures. If anyone is upset that im giving up info please don't be mad. There are more Billys up there than the 20 tags they give out. If you can make up to the area where I marked Goats on the image just make sure you don't cross the hunt boundary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More Pics of the area

Few More Pics

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by airborne3406 View Post
    Few More Pics
    I just pulled a decent billy out of the area you described. It took a full day of cutting trail to access the area, but your route description was a huge help. We worked the ridgeline you described for three days before a billy got within range, and there are some big boys holding back there. Hope to draw it again!

Years ago a buddy and i went in at bear glacier wiht a zodiac, and pulled it to shore. Walked up the river bottom about 2-3 miles and plenty of goats back there on the right side. .
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Congrats on a nice goat and nice of you to share info!

David,
    I have a Seward Tag also and am headed that way either this weekend or early next week. The weather looks decent at least that long.

Now that you have your billy would you share with me where you ended up going "up the hill"? I plan to walk in and head up somewhere.

You mentioned in your reply to the post online that there were some big boys holed up back there. Are they reachable?

Thanks in advance for any info you may be willing to share. Any pics of your billy? Would love to see some.

I tried to PM you but your profile is set up to not receive messages. Can you PM me? Not sure if that will work or not.

Best regards,
    Brian

Brian,
    I'm really sorry, I hadn't posted enough times to receive PM's, I just saw this. Hopefully you found my trial, I left it pretty well marked.