Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Alloy boat build

Red face New Alloy boat build

I will try to get a few pics posted on a boat I am getting built. (Still learning this pic posting detail)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another attempt

When I get more time and better pics, I will dig into it some more.

Neat, what size & who is the builder?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Some more progress on boat....image.jpg

Sorry for multiple pics, kinda tricky for me posting with iPhone.

Its around 9.5'wide and total length of aluminum is just under 30', I believe. I will post more pics when I get to walk around on it again....
    Builder is Hylite Fabrication... He's a good man.

Just curious what folks think about center steering rather than the typical starboard side.....

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    Just curious what folks think about center steering rather than the typical starboard side.....
    i can't see any major advantage doing a center helm over a port helm on an ocean boat. Biggest con might be that it restricts space for having another helm seat forward and access to the birth.
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Agree with ^ , walked through a center console GC and you had to go around a bulkhead and down some steps to get into the cuddy, seemed like a PITA, although more private down in the berth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, we ended up going with the traditional starboard side helm.

Trim tabs... How necessary are trim tabs? With twin motors, can a guy adjust with them instead?

Default More pics

Picsimage.jpg more pics of progress

Table goes down for bed useimage.jpg and for some reason they are sideways pics, argh

"Trim tabs... How necessary are trim tabs? With twin motors, can a guy adjust with them instead? "

Very necessary in my humble opinion. For the cost, no reason to go without either. I've got twins on my aluminum boat and I use the tabs every outing, even if only here and there as a comfort feature. I don't go out much in the nasty stuff but in the few instances I have been caught in nasty water or confused seas, trim tabs are a necessity and they are worth much more than the few bucks you might save if you were thinking about going without. I installed a new set of Lectrotab electric tabs with wireless controller on my old boat in my driveway in about 2 hours for something like $800 if I remember right. Sweet looking boat btw.
    Last edited by archertom; 01-08-2016 at 21:08. Reason: forgot to reference the post I was replying to

Absolutely on trim tabs. I would never have another boat without em. Besides horsepower and the correct props, tabs are the best bang for the buck for performance. I don't recommend trimming one motor vs the other to try to correct a list, it puts a LOT of pressure/twist on the transom (per a local boat builder). I mess with my tabs every time I run the boat, like playing an instrument, fun to do and you can purposely list the boat when running into quartering seas or taking boat wakes at an angle.
    A pretty important factor; go with adequately sized tabs (width); for that size of boat 12" minimum. I installed a set of tabs on a friends 28' Boulton charter boat, we went with 16" I think. Doesn't take hardly any down angle on the switch to notice them working and it's a bit more economical as opposed to having to crank down smaller tabs a lot to get results.
    Roy, you're more than welcome to make a trip down here and we can go trolling/boat ride and show ya how effective they are!
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I once drove from the end of Glacier spit into the Homer harbor using the tabs to steer as a hydraulic fitting had, unbeknownst to me, rotted under the desil tape and failed. Worked rather well. Otherwise, I won't tender an opinion.

R/Mark

Thanks for the advice. I just thought that as long as the motor stayed in the power tilt (slow tilt) part of its travel, one could adjust a little. I have used trim tabs in the past but it was on a single screw boat. I will look into mounting them on this boat.
    Another question for the masses. Steering. I was planning on going with seastar hydraulic steering and am wondering if they have a good product. Also, do the lines perform ok in cold weather (Coldest I have boated in was 8 degrees F) I am planning on doing all the rigging myself as I would like to know where everything is when emergency repairs need to happen. (Also to save money but this doesn't always happen with an amateur doing the job)
    Right now I am looking into:

-Steering
    -Batteries (2 or 3 and what brand that doesn't cost a fortune) What way to separate them....
    -Fuse/ circuit panel and number of branches

Then:
    -GPS/Depth/ Fish finder combo
    -Heater (More than likely Planar, ....I know you do bkmail, lol)
    -VHF Radio (I think I have the antenna type covered per thehull truth dot com)

More things later.

Does anyone have recommendations as to purchase rigging material? Amazon and westmarine are on the list....

I am going to meet with the builder and he knows the whole rigging process but I don't want to bug him too much!

I will try another pic to see if it is upside down or sideways... Does anyone know how to fix the previous ones?

Almost all of the fabricating is done as far as I want, windows are ordered; I will post pics when I get out there and take some more. Thanks for any advice, all of which will be taken with a grain of salt, jk....boat pic 1.jpg

Glass:

I went with ZERO tint on the glass besides the head (translucent) . I had some tint on a previous boat and didn't like trying to see through it on the seemingly majority of days it is raining, gray, low light, etc... The main door is also going to be glass rather than aluminum with a window, will see how long it lasts......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast