Thread: Tracked Skidsteer for hunting?

Default Tracked Skidsteer for hunting?

Anybody use a tracked skidsteer for hunting? They seem to go good in the mud and snow...

Seems like that would be extremely slow and wouldn't really have much of any carrying capacity unless you pull some kind of trailer. There are various versions, so maybe there are one or two that are more versatile than what I am thinking of. Another concern would be they are a lot harder to work on out in the middle of nowhere than a typical ATV.

Exceeds the 1500 pound limit for BLM lands by a long ways.

Is there a picture of the one your looking at?

Maybe you mean a tracked Argo? Lots of people use those both tracked and un-tracked.

Sobie2

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've heard of guys using a John Deere 350 wide track dozer, not sure why you couldn't use a skidsteer. You could probably use a riding lawn mower in some places
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

skidsteer is so low to the ground...i'd skip it
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

if you get one stuck and you hunting fun meter may go down for the next few hour/days. but if conditions are right would be an awesome tool to have!

I own a tracked skid steer. The **** thing weighs 10,000# and has one way of extricating itself if it gets stuck. I'm pretty good with it, but extricating yourself with just the bucket is nearly impossible if it's high centered. A dozer with a 6 way blade is harder to get stuck. It goes through dry country just fine, get it anywhere near a swamp and you're in for a heap of trouble. That said, if I shoot a moose near the house and I can get there with the skidsteer I am going to do it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Theres a reason you don't see skid steers all over the trails.

Now a D11 would be interesting.......
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Be interesting to see a D11 disappear in a bog... a quarter of a million pounds can get stuck pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Now a D11 would be interesting.......

Pisten Bully. Gotta spread the load out and get the float. Of course they tend to be on the wide side of the tracked vehicle spectrum but that's why they don't sink in the snow and swamp. http://www.resortboneyard.com/i/pisten-bully-160d/44206 35k ain't too bad when you figure an Argo runs around 10k and can't climb nearly the grade a snow cat can. And while they're not amphibious they will ford some pretty deep streams and they are really difficult to flip. Plus you could just strap the moose to the blade and off ya go. They actually leave less of a rut than ATV's so you'd rank lower on the A-hole chart in that regard. Heated cab is nice too. They aren't too cheap to maintain but they're pretty decent on fuel consumption and you can run them year round with the right inter-coolers. We have one with a brush cutter on the front that turns alders into chips and will climb 50 degree slopes. It's one mean trail cutting machine.

Well, you can buy them with pretty wide tracks. I watched one drive on 4' of snow and it went pretty good. I was just thinking that at least you could use it for other things the rest of the year, rather than have a machine sitting unused until hunting season.
    True, you probably wouldn't want to drive it in a bottomless swamp, but sometimes you can take the long way around.
    It might be handy with the brush attachment to clear shooting lanes, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dbooth View Post
    Theres a reason you don't see skid steers all over the trails.
    Cuz 4 wheelers are cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I own a tracked skid steer. The **** thing weighs 10,000# and has one way of extricating itself if it gets stuck. I'm pretty good with it, but extricating yourself with just the bucket is nearly impossible if it's high centered. A dozer with a 6 way blade is harder to get stuck. It goes through dry country just fine, get it anywhere near a swamp and you're in for a heap of trouble. That said, if I shoot a moose near the house and I can get there with the skidsteer I am going to do it.
    Yeah, I kinda forgot about the high centering thing that happens. I wonder if a different attachment, such as a fixed hoe, would be better to push or pull with?