Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homer boat ramp closure

Default Homer boat ramp closure

The load and launch ramp will be closed 9/15-12/15 for much needed improvements. Boats can be launched at the commercial ramp during this time but must be arranged through Harbormaster to not conflict with scheduled commercial activities.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave, have they changed their mind about letting people use the commercial ramp? The website still says that it's closed except for hauling out of the harbor.

http://www.cityofhomer-ak.gov/port/h...e-construction

Hmmm... The wording certainly does imply you can check out but not in. I'll get some clarification from the Harbormaster.

Will certainly make winter king fishing for me more challenging this year.... At least until it opens back up.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I was just down at the harbormasters office, they said that a person can use the commercial barge launch one time for take out only and it would have to arrange withe harbormaster. They will not allow for putting in. They mentioned that slips for mooring a boat should be available during that time of the launch ramp construction that a person could pay for on a month to month. They are not reimbursing anyone that has purchased a season pass. Also to mention, the Homer Elks lodge has it's annual derby during this time and they have had to cancel it due to the launch ramp closure. The reason they chose this time to do the construction is because the tides will be very low which them more access of the ramp. Being it's during one the best times of winter king fishing I hope they get it completed during this time frame and the weather cooperates.

We really need to make a little noise about this, word is no alternatives are going to be planned w/o some opposition, if you are interested in launching a boat during this time frame please Email the harbor master bhawkins@ci.homer.ak.us I think in is very poor planning to have the ramps all closed at once w/o some type of alternative!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email sent
    Fish fear me, My wife don't.

Personally I think they need to cancel the work and donate the money to the Seward harbor to redo their ramp docks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe some fresh oysters would grease the wheels... :-|

Charterboat Operator

I had sent an e-mail to the harbormaster as well, got a friendly response,
    "sorry for the chain letter but here it is"
    same announcement that was posted above.
    guess we are changing our waterways to two different seasons, fishing/construction, just like the roadways!

The good thing is, it is very much needed and will be fantastic when done, right???

***?! They cancelled the Elks Derby????
    Ya know didn't they do the Whitter ramp in stages or at least keep one lane open?
    And why could Ya pull out but not launch? Heading over there now
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Day use, small boat load-and-launching will not be allowed at the Barge Ramp.

There is no way that we can substitute a single lane ramp for a five lane boat ramp. The facility would quickly become plugged up with traffic. However, we do offer a compromise during this construction period.

Vessel owners who have vessels in the harbor and want to haul out after the launch ramp closure can schedule to do so with the Port and Harbor Office.

***Vessel owners who want to put their vessel into the harbor for at least a month during this construction period may do so by scheduling with the Port and Harbor Office.***

Normal mooring and launch fees will apply. Vessel owners wishing to use the Barge Ramp will have to confirm with harbor staff that they will be able to provide two operators and use the normal trailer parking area by the Load and Launch Ramp.

This came off of the page linked above, looks like if you wanna put in for at least a month that you can schedule a launch... I couldn't highlight the pertinent part on my phone, but put stars around it.

That is sure nice of them to offer up a slip during this time (NORMAL FEE'S WILL APPLY) They could leave one ramp open during this first phase of construction. It's winter how much demand for the ramp do they really get after Sept on any given day.

I wonder if they would stop you from beach launching near the fishing hole? Of courser with the prevailing winter northeasterly that might not be an option anyway...

Look at it this way. The reason why they choose to do this closure during this time is that the tides will be at there lowest giving more access of the ramp without water covering it. So when we back our trailers down the ramp there will be no drop off if we launch on low tide. Also if they do only part of the ramp at a time it will them longer to do the construction forcing them to keep the ramp closed longer, and we don't want that. I'm looking at renting a slip for my boat during that time the ramp is closed. For a boat that takes up 28' it will cost me over $200.00 a month. Right now they said no slips are available and to check back around Sept. 10th or so. The ramp has need ed to be re-done for a long time and when it's all done it's going to be much nicer and easier to launch our boat. We're just going to have to sacrifice our time and deal with it while this construction is going on. The harbormasters office I'm sure is doing this the best way they possibly can and is trying to accommodate our needs, so lets not bash them for what they're doing.

This is absolutely crap. I do all of my halibut fishing for my family at that time due to fishing being better and less tourists around. My girlfriend and I are completely bummed about this. Leaving my boat in for a month or more is not an option.

Well that takes care of my late season sea duck hunting. This really sucks I look forward to that every year.
    I have to agree that having no way to launch your boat from the harbor for three months is a little excessive when they have another ramp that could be used. There cant be that much traffic that time of year where it would overwhelm the single launch they have.

Never used the Homer ramps, but you think by letting you boys use the commercial ramp they'd still be getting your money right? Guess they'd rather you stay on the beach and keep your money.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Never used the Homer ramps, but you think by letting you boys use the commercial ramp they'd still be getting your money right? Guess they'd rather you stay on the beach and keep your money.
    They don't charge to use ramp after September usually
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    Normal mooring and launch fees will apply. Vessel owners wishing to use the Barge Ramp will have to confirm with harbor staff that they will be able to provide two operators and use the normal trailer parking area by the Load and Launch Ramp.
    Where did you get this piece of info? This makes it sound like we might be able to launch from the barge ramp if we use a 2 person operation. Or did this only apply to launching a boat if it will be moored in the harbor for at least 30 days?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast