Thread: Want to make a sheep hunting video

Default Want to make a sheep hunting video

Title says it all. I would like to make a sheep hunting video this year. My brother and I have drawn the TOK unit and plan on filming it.

Question: Give me 5 ideas/comments etc..... on what you would like to see on a sheep video?

Thanks

Default 5 questions

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Title says it all. I would like to make a sheep hunting video this year. My brother and I have drawn the TOK unit and plan on filming it.

Question: Give me 5 ideas/comments etc..... on what you would like to see on a sheep video?

Thanks
    Advance stuff:
    planning with maps and research
    getting in shape
    packing and pack list
    communications with transporter
    shooting practice - bullet selection

On hunt:
    The Work of getting there and all the other usuals

After the kill:
    Trophy care - sealing process - taxidermists info. - and the final product on the wall ande on the plate.

I think the videos are usually short on the before and after stuff.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Thanks

I agree, most videos are just of the kill shot and my thought are to include what goes on the months prior to the hunt and jutst after the hunt. What video shows you what it is like packing 100+lbs?

Not sure I know everything there is to know about sheep hunting and I am sure I will leave a few items off. I posted this question in hopes of getting feedback (like yours) to help make sure I don't forget anything. If something does get left out, I can share the blame with all of you, Right?

I do have plans on including most of what you mentioned. We plan on doing a sheep hunting 101 in the begining of the video. Going over items like backpacks (exteral vs enteral frames), tents/bivy, boots (plastic vs leather), getting in shape, nutrition, optics, trophy care, How to take pictures/video,
    etc......

I forgot about the sealing part, I will include it as well.

Question for the Guides?

Top 5 things a guide would like to see from their clients?

Troy,

Can only assume you are aware of the legal technicalities of commercial production, copyright, release forms, permits etc etc. Don't think any permits are required for TMA filming, but fed areas do require permits for commercial filming. Some air-charter operators also do not want to be filmed and put in commercial videos, nor do they want their strip locations shown to the whole world. As more and more people try to market videos these days we are running into a lot of education problems, fines, lawsuits, lack of permits, lack of release forms etc. Also, Fish&Game staff may not want to be included in a commercial video. Hope you will be upfront with everyone that you are planning on marketing/selling this as a commercial venture and not just for home use. I just wanted to throw that out there so you don't run into problems down the line that may cost you thousands of dollars. Here's a good link on some of this in case others are thinking of marketing videos:
    http://www.videomaker.com/article/3651/
    Good luck,

Default Good Luck

I would love to see the finished product. Sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy yourself.

Default A few suggestions

Sounds like a fun project and you have a fantastic setting and opportunity to make a great video. I would suggest that you try to tell the complete story of your hunt the way Buck Nelson did with his float hunt video or George Young did in his classic book "Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost". I don't really think it need be a "how to" type of deal. Make it a work of art! I'd like to see scenes of river crossings, tent hangout time, cooking, hairy terrian navigation etc. to give a real feel for the experience. Also, complete coverage of the stalk from initial sighting to waiting for the right moment and route planning is often missing in hunting videos. I'd also recommmend that you bring someone along to do the lion's share of the video recording so you and your partner can concentrate on all of the other work. Just my thoughts and good luck on the hunt and video.

Alpine

Sounds like a good idea and would be good information if organized and you have some good footage. Ditto what bushrat had said about the permits and things. I don't know how much they are or how to get them but be very careful. If you are on federal land you will most likely need a permit and possibly on state land also. The feds are very strict about these types of things. Have fun and let us know how it goes.