Thread: Sheep gear report

Default Sheep gear report

Here's a report on the gear I hated/ used / liked / loved on my latest sheep hunt in the DCUA.
    Starting from the feet up:
    Salewa Raven boots -I switched to these two years ago and LOVE them, they keep me dry, warm, and are very light.
    Smart wool socks - Is there anything better?
    Icebreaker Merino Long underwear- these work very well, even when wet, but weight a little more than I would like. I would get the KUIU ultramarino... but it's like shopping at a big and tall w/ those guys. I have a 30" inseam and am not a fan of 34" leggings on my stubby legs.
    Stoic wool boxer-brief - These are wonderful in hot and cold weather.
    KUIU Yukon pants - A bit warm on nice days, but very rugged and keep you dry when it's nasty like we had this year. Otherwise I use the Attack Pant
    KUIU Yukon Gaiters - combined with the pant and my boots, I can cross streams to my knees without a concern. Also, foreign debris is a thing of the past. Not a fan of the cinch at the top as it gets caught and losses in alders, but velcro would not be as tight.
    KUIU 185 Merino 1/4 zip - love it
    KUIU Yukon jacket - I will never wear anything else if it's inclement weather... the best piece of equipment I own
    KUIU Guide Beanie - great hat, but creates too much noise in my own ear while hiking. I always have to roll it up.

I feel your pain on kuiu clothing. I was gonna outfit myself for my second season dcua hunt but they discriminate against 30" inseam. So my helly hanson impertech will have to do. Did any of their other clothes fit you well?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by awwu View Post
    I feel your pain on kuiu clothing. I was gonna outfit myself for my second season dcua hunt but they discriminate against 30" inseam. So my helly hanson impertech will have to do. Did any of their other clothes fit you well?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    The Medium tops seem to fit okay (except the 'monkey arms') At least I can roll up the sleeves. So... their hats are nice

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    The Medium tops seem to fit okay (except the 'monkey arms') At least I can roll up the sleeves. So... their hats are nice
    I'm with you. I think they have the best gear made out there - except for the super long inseams and super long arm length. I am a very average size and the sleeve lengths are almost 4 inches too long for me. Even a modest consideration for normal sized people would change my mind.

Just got back from a haul road caribou hunt. First time out with my Kuiu Yukon jacket and pants. VERY happy, and held up extremely well busting through the alders/willows and the heavy rain and sleet.
    Not a sheep hunt, but sheep gear works great for caribou hunts 5 miles up a river as well

The Ultra Merino 210 bottoms have a 26" inseam for all waist sizes. I have a pair of larges I wore once that I'm trying to part with. I need the mediums for sure. I have the top too and loved it. Was nice to layer over my Patagonia Capaline if needed or straight up if I new it was going to be chilly. They were great as far as a base layer goes.

AZinAK