Thread: Newby finger release problem

Question Newby finger release problem

I recently switched over from compound to 55# recurve and was wondering if those more experienced have tips for reducing my finger numbing problem. I shoot 3 finger (one over-two under) and my fourth finger is getting both sore and numb. I switched from glove to a thicker finger tab and that helps a little, but it still gets pretty sore. It seems the fourth finger is the last to leave the string and takes the most punishment from the release. Is this just a temporary thing until my finger toughens up? I would be interested in any advice you trad shooters have. Thanks, Rod S.

If you are talking about you're bottom finger, sounds like you might be hooking a bit to deep and in the joint. It's different for everybody, some don't have that problem, I did same as you. Try not hooking as deep and keep the string on the end pad of the finger rather than back in the joint area.

I actually had a finger nail go dead and fall off of that finger from shooting once.

May also try glove with reinforced tips like the super glove. Constant practice and time will also help that problem. Good shooting and enjoy...

North pole Alaska

Raise your elbow to make your fingers straight up and down. It will give you even pressure on the string.