Thread: Have some open SES rating time

Default Have some open SES rating time

Just had a last minute cancellation for a float (SES) rating.He already rescheduled once, I should have known... "" Why I need to charge a deposit.""" Anyway, I now have from now until the 27th of August open if anyone wants to squeeze in their seaplane rating before the season ends.

I should have taken the number of the guy who called yesterday wanting his rating.

What says the peanut gallery regarding scheduling deposits.....?? What percentage sounds reasonable????
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Just hope he calls back and if he does, charge him more. If he doesn't like it, don't fly with him.
    ARR

I would base the percentage on whether or not you can fill his time slot. If you can fill it, hit him about 10% for juggling. If his cancelation was so late that you can't fill ANY of his time I'd hit him harder.

Life happens and we've all had to break an appt for one thing or another along the way. But sounds like he's backed out at least once before on you. That makes it harder to swallow if that's him normal way of doing business.

I'm not sure that theultrarider is on the right track. His approach appears to be punitive. Moreover, how is one to know in advance that a client is going to cancel out? You'll never get that additional 20% post-cancellation. Better, I'd think, to simply levy a 30% deposit and stick to it. In my guiding business, I demanded a 50% deposit, resulting in only truly sincere hunters and fishermen. None complained, and my book was always filled, sometimes two years in advance. A sliding scale for deposit returns was based upon time: 50% of the deposits was returned if 90-days cancellation notice was made; 30% of deposit money was returned if cancellation was made within 60-days, no return if cancellation was made less than 30-days before the starting date . . . IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I'm not sure that theultrarider is on the right track. His approach appears to be punitive. Moreover, how is one to know in advance that a client is going to cancel out? You'll never get that additional 20% post-cancellation. Better, I'd think, to simply levy a 30% deposit and stick to it. In my guiding business, I demanded a 50% deposit, resulting in only truly sincere hunters and fishermen. None complained, and my book was always filled, sometimes two years in advance. A sliding scale for deposit returns was based upon time: 50% of the deposits was returned if 90-days cancellation notice was made; 30% of deposit money was returned if cancellation was made within 60-days, no return if cancellation was made less than 30-days before the starting date . . . IMO.
    I'm terrible at putting my thoughts on paper at times. Grizzly 2 you are correct. I agree with how you ran your bussiness. That's more along the lines of what was in my head. It just didn't come out that way. And MAYBE be more lenient IF you could easily fill the slot that the guy backed out of.

Yep. If the slot is filled, return all the former customer's deposit, of course. Nobody is advocating theft of the first guy's deposit.

This guy only told me he was not coming yesterday afternoon and I was scheduled to pick him up at the airport this afternoon. So only 24 hours notice before backing out of the training PLUS the seven days he had scheduled in my guest cabin. ( usually $105 a night via my booking service.) Last time it was only 5-6 days notice.

A couple years ago I had a female Air Force LT type who kept making calls and rescheduling. I eventually found out she was also scheduling with at least two other seaplane instruction outfits on different dates. But she never followed through with any of us. It was like she wanted to have her bases covered just in case she decided to go through with the whole thing. She must have a screw loose. So she will make a perfect senior Officer one day.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hey Float Pilot, you don't owe you deadbeat customers any more than you owe to yourself and your family. Develop a down payment schedule and --------------- STICK TO IT !!! Good business practices won't cost you any clients, believe me.

Agreed. It's those kinds of people as to why we all have to pay deposits. Just part of life. A deposit doesn't cost a consumer a thing as long as they follow through on their word. Don't feel guilty for following through on your word by keeping their deposit when treated like that. You gotta pay your bills too.