Thread: Calling deer?

Default Calling deer?

One thing I love to do is call moose. To get those bulls riled up and coming to the call ready to fight is something I really enjoy. I also love to call predators (although not a pro by any means). And now one thing I'd like to learn to do is to call deer. I have hunted Kodiak a few times and finally made it to PWS last week I have yet to hunt these little deer in the rut. I am hoping to get back out later this season and do it again and I'd like to do it during the rut and give calling a try..
    So teach me oh great deer callers of the north your tips, tactics, and timing.

Living like kings

just walking down the beach the sound of our boots crunching on the gravel would make them run out and see if we were does. Unpressured deer are a lot of fun to hunt.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Fawn bleat/Doe call in late October through the first week of December in areas that are holding deer at the time( varying due to snowfall usually). Call a few times and wait 5-10 minutes then try again. After that I usually move. Everyone is different when it comes to calling deer. There's nothing like blowing the call and hearing a buck come crunching in through the snow out into a muskeg!

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Fawn bleat/Doe call in late October through the first week of December in areas that are holding deer at the time( varying due to snowfall usually). Call a few times and wait 5-10 minutes then try again. After that I usually move. Everyone is different when it comes to calling deer. There's nothing like blowing the call and hearing a buck come crunching in through the snow out into a muskeg!
    I bought a primos call the can you turn upside down and it makes a doe bleat, it's a white tail call but will it work for blacktail or do you use a different call?

Living like kings

Nope deer calls don't work leave them back on the boat
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I bought a primos call the can you turn upside down and it makes a doe bleat, it's a white tail call but will it work for blacktail or do you use a different call?

Living like kings
    Somewhere long ago I remember hearing that the fawn bleat works the best......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I used a Primos Can last year in Kodiak and it definitely got some attention. Simple to use but don't overcall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watch your back if you're deer hunting/calling in brownie country.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Just watch your back if you're deer hunting/calling in brownie country.
    Yep, I usually don't call if I am alone (on Chichagof Island) and when I do call me and my hunting partner are facing opposite directions. Works two fold: one of us will either see the deer or the bear before it taps us on the shoulder...

I usually blow a few bleats and wait at least a minute, listening carefully and trying to remain motionless. Another couple calls and wait a few more minutes. Maybe one last series of calls and another wait. I think that if there is an interested buck within ear-shot of the place you chose to call about 5 minutes should be enough to bring them in. If I see a hesitant buck in the distance I might keep calling to try to get him closer but if I don't see anything I usually try to move on. Also, in bear country if you call for too long in one spot you might call in the wrong sized brown furry if yah know what I mean.

Hunting responsive deer is a treat, I hope you find some that are interested in your call.

Bleats are about the most effective brown bear call I've ever seen. Nuff sed for me.

My first experience hunting blacktails a few years ago was with my to-be-father-in-law on Admiralty Island. We used the fawn bleat in a manner similar to that which hoonahtic described. Instead of using any type of advertised deer call though, he used a dog squeaky toy. By cutting a small hole in it, you can blow air into the cavity and out through the squeaker. You can vary volume and pitch by the amount of air you blow and by how you muffle the call with your hands. I thought he was nuts, but it worked and I was hooked.

His call is shaped like a phone (to call deer...haha, get it?), my wife's is an XTRA tough boot (she's an Alaska girl), and mine is the good old standby hamburger.

These four were taken last year. Two one day and two the next.

We use the fawn/doe bleat. Works very well. Usually calling a few times and sitting for 10-15 minutes before moving on. Also, as stated before, works just as well with brown bears.
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

Excellent thanks for all the help. Sounds like it should be fun. I tried the fawn bleat on raspberry Island last year and never had any success but I made darn sure I could see a long ways in all directions before I even attempted it there. I did however call in a couple fox that will make nice hats someday so it wasn't a total failure. We were there over Halloween week, I thought they'd be rutting at that time but it didn't seem like much was going on

Living like kings

I have to add unsolicited advice. Calls work all year round if used properly. Deer like deer much of the year (otherwise you'd never see bachelor groups). Deer even spar way before the rut and mount eachother etc... so even rattling works well before November.
    I used to frequent an area that held a number of great deer that wouldn't come out of cover to feed until after dark but I found that if I showed up early and called they would leave cover early and feed. If a calling scenario makes sense to you it probably will to a deer as well. You are after all creating a radio program for deer. If you know deer behavior you can replicate stamping feet, raking brush, grunts, and weezes challenging and alluring. Just don't make it a lousy over the top melodrama outside of the rut!

Another tip I would give hunters comes from Valerius Geist the renowned deer biologist. He observed that deer do not like eye contact and take it as a challenge.

Also have you ever noticed that when you're out hiking and making noise with kids, deer often pay little attention, but when you are being quiet and sneaky deer spook readily. Deer know what stalking looks like and sounds like and they won’t stick around long if they pick up on it (or they will stick to cover and not move until flushed). It is ironically often better to openly but indirectly approach a deer (quartering towards) than to stalk it.

Try it for yourself on a scouting trip and see for yourself.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

It's not Alaska Blacktail but I have success on Minnesota whitetail using calls. I use a tube call that you can grunt and bleat from. I both blind call and call when I see one out of range. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but I am convinced I have taken deer I would not have seen had it not been for the call. I like the fawn bleat and I usually tone down the grunts so they are not as deep. I figure a deep grunt is a bigger deer and a lot of bucks do not want to mess with a bigger buck. Once bowhunting I had a small 3x3 in front of me that I was not going to take so I played around with a grunt. I tried a deeper grunt and he could not get away fast enough as he did not want to tangle with a big boy. I mostly use it when I am stand hunting but also make some calls when still hunting so hopefully a deer thinks the noise I am making is a deer instead of a person. It is just something else to add to your hunt. Good luck.