Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funky brow tine

Default Funky brow tine

Check this fella out. Looks a bit on the iffy side. Would'ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd shoot him. But only with a camera. Odd rack for sure.

I took a very odd one several years ago. His palm had broken off early on in the summer and never really grew back. Very small palm on that side. But all the antler grow switched over to his brow tine growth. He had 6 large prominent brow tine on that side. No question what so ever it was browtine. He looked goofy but sure tasted good!

Doesn't look to be 50. I'd estimate around 46 to 47 and those drop points don't come off the brow palm they come off the base. I would doubt they would count as brow tine. Pass, let him grow another year. Nice picture though.

Cool looking rack

There's some goofy racks like that out near the airport/Kincaid. Pretty neat to see.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

"Technically", wouldn't he qualify as having a total of 3 brow tines on one side?
    Even though its split and goofy, by the letter of the law, doesn't he have 3 forward projecting points coming off of the one main beam??
    He's got 2 pedicals, not 3. So that's one antler on each side. Is it not?
    It'd be a tough call...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    "Technically", wouldn't he qualify as having a total of 3 brow tines on one side?
    Even though its split and goofy, by the letter of the law, doesn't he have 3 forward projecting points coming off of the one main beam??
    It'd be a tough call...
    That's was my thought as well. Definitely a tough call though. I might show the pic to the folks at F&G and see what they have to say. Doubt I get a straight answer but it's always good to have a chat with those guys and hear other opinions.

I'm sure you would get a straight answer if they checked you out after you shot it...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Hah! No doubt

It'd be a tough call...
    No. "Technically", he has 1 brow tine on that side. Brows are counted from the base of the antler to the first large indentation on the antler.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    That's was my thought as well. Definitely a tough call though. I might show the pic to the folks at F&G and see what they have to say. Doubt I get a straight answer but it's always good to have a chat with those guys and hear other opinions.

About their opinions... one biologist said my ram was only 7 and the other claimed 9 1/2. Good thing it was full on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    About their opinions... one biologist said my ram was only 7 and the other claimed 9 1/2. Good thing it was full on both sides.
    Biologists or techs? There is a difference.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    No. "Technically", he has 1 brow tine on that side. Brows are counted from the base of the antler to the first large indentation on the antler.
    If he has "one" brow-tine on that side, then what are those two other points just above it, coming off of the same beam? Which was my original point. It all comes off of one (1) pedical. Meaning, one antler..
    If the bloodveins are split, one headed to the brows and the others headed to the palms, that differentiates which is brow-tines and which is palm points.
    Even though it's a split antler, I'm seeing 3.
    I'd almost be willing to bet that this bull has 3 brow-tines coming off of one main beam on his right side.
    Definitely an interesting and debatable topic. Even worth letting a fish cop look at this pic and get an opinion..

Definitely an interesting and debatable topic. Even worth letting a fish cop look at this pic and get an opinion..
    A few years ago my hunting partner saw a full grown bull moose with 12 inch fork on one side the other side was missing. mile away I found the other side that gotten broking off in a fight. Because it was so difference I took in into F&G to get there opinion on a small point near the base. It turn out it was 1/16 to high and was not a legal bull. If he has taken that bull and a trooper looked at the antlers. He could have given my partner a ticket costing him hundreds of $$$, his rifle and all the meat over a 1/16 of a inch.

Let say you take the bull in the picture and it's legal. The trooper still give you a ticket are you willing to loose everything because you wanted his opinion?

Definitely an interesting and debatable topic.

If he has "one" brow-tine on that side, then what are those two other points just above it, coming off of the same beam? Which was my original point. It all comes off of one (1) pedical. Meaning, one antler..
    If the bloodveins are split, one headed to the brows and the others headed to the palms, that differentiates which is brow-tines and which is palm points.
    Even though it's a split antler, I'm seeing 3.
    I'd almost be willing to bet that this bull has 3 brow-tines coming off of one main beam on his right side.
    Those aren't brow tines because they are after the first branch off of the main beam.
    He's 21 and not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    A few years ago my hunting partner saw a full grown bull moose with 12 inch fork on one side the other side was missing. mile away I found the other side that gotten broking off in a fight. Because it was so difference I took in into F&G to get there opinion on a small point near the base. It turn out it was 1/16 to high and was not a legal bull. If he has taken that bull and a trooper looked at the antlers. He could have given my partner a ticket costing him hundreds of $$$, his rifle and all the meat over a 1/16 of a inch.

Let say you take the bull in the picture and it's legal. The trooper still give you a ticket are you willing to loose everything because you wanted his opinion?

Definitely an interesting and debatable topic.
    I totally see your point. It's a crapshoot if you shoot it (with a questionable or unusual set of antlers) and go show it to the troopers...
    Regarding this particular photo, THATS what I was referring too though regarding showing it to a fishcop...
    Not sure what you mean by "if you shoot that bull in the pic and it's legal" comment. Why would They give out a ticket if it's legal? Or am I reading that wrong?

They can't measure to a 1/16" in a pic nor can you. Can't be sure it's legal or not til it dead. The moose in question is also a tough one to judge in a pic. Especially in velvet. Where exactly do the veins split? Which are brow tines and which arent? Common sense and common logic can have many thinking in one way or another. Til the rack is laying on an exam table with velvet stripped, under good light. The question becomes how big of a risk are you willing to take on a borderline bull that is a freak of nature? Myself. I've shot enough bulls in my life and no doubt will shoot more. A winters worth of beef at Safeway is cheaper than guessing wrong. I'll shoot it with a camera instead and what if it to death all winter as I eat beef and drink a cold one. I'd rather do that then pay a fine. Lose my meat. Maybe lose property as well as the right to hunt next year. Just isn't worth the gamble to me. Even if a fish cop looked at the pic and says it looks good to me. He may well change his mind when it's holding still and upclose.

Regarding this particular photo, THATS what I was referring too though regarding showing it to a fishcop...
    I assume the only way anybody could know if the moose in the picture is legal or not, is to inspect the antler with the velvet remove. IMO
    That why I did not think you were talking about showing him the picture.

Not sure what you mean by "if you shoot that bull in the pic and it's legal" comment. Why would They give out a ticket if it's legal? Or am I reading that wrong?

I did not mean to imply the Trooper knew the animal is legal, but thinks it not and give the hunter a ticket. Only to find out later it was legal.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    They can't measure to a 1/16" in a pic nor can you. .
    I never said I took a picture into F&G it was the broken half that I found.
    BTW I've been told some Troopers have a one inch I.D. x one inch long tube to prove it's a point or a tine.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    They can't measure to a 1/16" in a pic nor can you. Can't be sure it's legal or not til it dead. The moose in question is also a tough one to judge in a pic. Especially in velvet. Where exactly do the veins split? Which are brow tines and which arent? Common sense and common logic can have many thinking in one way or another. Til the rack is laying on an exam table with velvet stripped, under good light. The question becomes how big of a risk are you willing to take on a borderline bull that is a freak of nature? Myself. I've shot enough bulls in my life and no doubt will shoot more. A winters worth of beef at Safeway is cheaper than guessing wrong. I'll shoot it with a camera instead and what if it to death all winter as I eat beef and drink a cold one. I'd rather do that then pay a fine. Lose my meat. Maybe lose property as well as the right to hunt next year. Just isn't worth the gamble to me. Even if a fish cop looked at the pic and says it looks good to me. He may well change his mind when it's holding still and upclose.
    Good point. Good debate. Like the hunting reg's say, when in doubt and not sure, don't shoot..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast