Thread: Any good Rossi M-92 smiths in Alaska???

Default Any good Rossi M-92 smiths in Alaska???

I know there are a couple Smiths who specialize in Lever actions out of state. But since Andy left Palmer, are there any left here in Alaska?
    I installed a 3/4 loop lever in my new Rossi M92 and now the lifter does not want to lift the cartridge up to aline with the chamber. It sorta works when empty but no dice with ammo. So I buggered up something....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have the DVD that shows the complete disassembly/assembly step by step and also the tricks to smooth it out. Be happy to loan it to you.

Sorry I moved, I miss it . . . but there are advantages here too.

Anyway, if it ran with the other lever it sounds like the lever you put in has too short a nose on it. The lifter has a detent ball in it that with up and down hole positions in the side of the receiver and ramps feeding the ball into the holes under pressure that move the ramp. The lever only moves the lifter till the ball gets in the ramp and the spring takes over snapping the lifter into place up or down. So most likely the lever isn't pushing it far enough now.

With the lever closed there is a notch cut in it just ahead of the trigger guard, watch that from the bottom as you open and you'll see it contact the lifter. Now apply some tape to that spot and see if it starts working for you. If so you ether need to weld more on there or send it back for another lever.

Or it to me to fix . . . or just send me your old lever along with a drawing of how big a loop you want it to be made into.

TIP . . . whenever taking the lever pin in or out the bolt on 92s, 94s and other Browning designed Winchesters close the bolt on a spent case to trap the ejector. Otherwise it's a big fight, especially putting it back in because the pin also retains the ejector. Don't loose the little color on the ejector when the bolt comes out.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Here are some photos of the original lever and the new large loop lever.

The new large loop lever is missing a couple grooves up by where it goes in the bolt assembly.

Also the part of the lever that pushes the lifter up is actually longer on the new lever. ( Maybe too long )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another photo. For some reason I only see photo links...

Okay here are the pix.

As for the issue . . . hmmmm?

Too long should definitely shove the lifter up and looking at the pictures it's sure not the issue I was thinking.

I'm a little perplexed now cuz it should work on that lever, it should run unless there is an issue with the lifter, the detent ball or something other than the lever.

Sooo, did the detent ball maybe go AWOL in there?
    Is the lifter installed over the pivot screws and are the correct screws with the bump on the nose that fits into the holes in the lifter?

Anyway I'm guessing at this point without looking at it but it must be something to do with the lifter itself not right or not installed right.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It is very weird. The carbine was feeding just fine as issued. I changed to the larger loop lever and at first it seemed a bit bound up. I then lubed the heck out of it and cycled it a bunch of times and it seemed to work fine. UNTIL I tried feeding live ammo again.

Here are photos of the cartridge lifter. It is very crude and just a simple casting with NO finish work.

A couple more follower photos. My computer is still acting weird so I only see question marks. But I guess you can see the photos....

Yea I can see the pix one at a time, I'm moving them to Photobucket so I can see them all at once.

Okay the ball detent doesn't look very balled on the end, in fact it looks a bit ground down as best as I can tell. Does it move freely in and out? I say freely but there is a bunch of spring pressure on it so what I mean is not bound in the hole or by the retaining pin . . . you should be able to push it flush with channel locks.

Next would be does it come out far enough to snap firmly into the hole? The way to figure that out is to install just the lifter in the receiver and flip it back and forth with a punch or something. It should snap into the up and down detents with some authority and once there not rattle around much. If it doesn't go in and out freely or far enough remove the detent ball and check for busted spring, burrs at the hole entrance or where the pin hole intersects . . . if all that is good you may need to clearance the notch in it more so it has enough travel.

Also take a good look at those detent holes inside the receiver to make sure they are cut well and don't have a big bur or something hanging things up. Polishing/slicking those ramps is part of an action job and while your there I'd shine them some.

Let me know how ya get on . . .

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The little detent ball moves. In fact I can press it down with my finger-nail.
    I cleaned out a few burrs on the inside of the receiver. Plus I buffed up the lifter on the sides.

When the lifter locks into the upper groove, I can pop it out of the detent and push it down with my finger. Should it be harder than that???

It should be locked up firm with little wiggle but yes it should move from finger pressure. It should take maybe as much force as a military trigger or a tad more maybe to get it moving. Moving the ball with your thumbnail seems like a weak spring to me, spring may be broken in there or maybe wrong spring.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

When I convert to 256wm sometimes I need to nip that spring or it snaps the lifter up so hard that it will stove-pipe the little 25 caliber because it's designed for 180g 357 bullets. So the lifter should move on its own once into the ramp from just the spring pushing that ball down the ramp and into the detent, it's a tough little spring.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well I re-assembled it using the old original lever. Then made up some dummy rounds. It lifts and feeds them, HOWEVER...
    The ejector really pushes itself out pretty hard and the guide shaft under the ejector spring is very rough. So it binds a little bit and takes more pressure to chamber than it should . So I need to take it apart again and smooth up more of the guts. In between other things...

It still makes me wonder why the big lever loop was not working... In theory it should have worked TOO WELL.
    Insert Twilight Zone theme music here.....

It's amazing what tiny changes in the geometry can screw up sometimes. I still suspect that detent ball and spring myself.

Yea the Rossis can use all the slicking up you can d in there, I've seen the guts of some that left me stunned that they worked at all. But the material is there to fix them, they only do the bare minimum work in there at the factory so it's almost like building a new gun from parts when you do an action job.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona