Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Which Wooldridge to Buy for "All Purpose" Use?

  1. #1

    Question Which Wooldridge to Buy for "All Purpose" Use?

    Which Wooldridge should I buy for most versatility, greatest payload, and least weight? Prefer outboard jet with windshield and canopy. Planned use from Deshka (not just mouth - like to go above the weir), to Twentymile River to mile 10, (not the Glacier River branch!) to Knik River (all the way to the glacier), to Tustumena Lake (when the wind is down!) and ideally salt water use out of Whittier? i.e. the best all purpose boat............ My present boat (Crestliner Sportsman with 46 HP mud motor - photo attached) has done all these things (depending on water levels) except Whittier unless water is F.A.C., and can not get on step with large (>1000 lb) payloads. I am guessing a 20 foot Super Sport or 20 foot Sport Drifter with 150HP O.B. jet and tunnel? Or anybody got a better idea by another manufacturer? Considered Jetcraft 2075 XS but does not seem good for salt water or big lakes.......also heard the Mercury Optimax inboards do not survive well in silt water even with sand traps...........
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Member alaska bush man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    905

    Thumbs up Woodridge Alaskan

    I have a 94 Alaskan 20' with 1998 105 V6 Eve Jet with ez lift......I would like to upgrade to a Honda 105 Jet one day........great boat!
    Alaska

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Since you want to use it in the salt my vote would go for the 21 Sport Drifter but with a 200 hp jet. You will end up hating the 150 over time.
    Tennessee

  4. #4
    Member tjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,125

    Default Optimax and silt

    what did you hear the silt was doing to the motor?...

  5. #5
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    I have to second Snowwolfe another good option is the 20' Xtra Plus with the wide body option.

    Both are great boats and with a 200 outboard I believe you can get the new larger jet unit that gives you a bit better fuel economy and gets you on step faster and carries a load a bit better.

    The Sport Drifter has a more modern look about it and dry storage under the bow while the Xtra Plus has that classic rugged Wooldridge look and a nice open bow. Tough choice between the two as they are both excellent boats and would well suit your needs with carrying loads and running the shallow water and PWS with ease.

    Good luck with your search!

    Rob
    Last edited by broncoformudv; 06-25-2007 at 13:41. Reason: spelling

  6. #6
    Member mod elan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glennallen
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Also curious about the Optimax and silt. I wonder what all the guys running the Tanana, Copper, Chitina, Bremner, Yukon, etc, etc do about running them in the silt?

  7. #7

    Default

    Glen at Wooldridge just recommended to me their new "super sport drifter" in a 20 ft or 23 ft with 200 HP or 225 OBJ. He said this new model combines best of the "super sport" and the "sport drifter". A 23 foot boat will plane faster, carry a greater load, handle open water much better...........but a 23 ft is a lot of boat to push off a gravel or sand bar when you stick it, so I would lean towards the 20 ft. Of course this a new model that I assume is impossible to find in a used boat!

    Silver Streak boats told me they tried the Optimax in the past and had too many call backs due to overheating etc... when run in silt even with sand traps and therefore they will not sell them in their boats. They recommended Chevy V-6 if you go inboard, and outboard with tunnel unless you need the power of the inboard.

  8. #8
    Member tjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,125

    Default Optimax

    Hate to hijack so if there is interest I'll start a new thread ....
    ...do you know if the overheating issues were on boats with heaters?..
    I have heard issues with that but there are fixes.
    ....I got a new 200Opti in May with 59 hours already mostly in the silt with no issues...I did notice higher temps when it was 85 deg on the Su though....By passing the heater dropped temps approx 2 deg at 4200 rpm
    ....any other issues you guys heard of??....

  9. #9

    Default

    I suggest you call Ben at Silver Streak and get the scoop directly from him. I would be curious to know if he still says the same thing........

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Hate to hijack so if there is interest I'll start a new thread ....
    ...do you know if the overheating issues were on boats with heaters?..
    I have heard issues with that but there are fixes.
    ....I got a new 200Opti in May with 59 hours already mostly in the silt with no issues...I did notice higher temps when it was 85 deg on the Su though....By passing the heater dropped temps approx 2 deg at 4200 rpm
    ....any other issues you guys heard of??....
    Tim, what type of heater are you running off this motor? The 200/225 Optimax is currently my top choice to install on my 23 foot Wooldridge Alaskan when it is finally built.
    Time to start a new thread!
    Tennessee

  11. #11
    Member pta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Hey, I've got this one for sale, it should fit your needs:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=11967

    I've had it to most of the places you want to run, including 35+ miles out in whittier and seward.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    630

    Default My experience

    I got a 2003 Wooldridge sport with a 2003 optimax 150 on it, and do everything you mention. The only thing I would change is, yes put as much HP as you can afford on it. The 150 gets plenty of weight up on step......eventually. What you really need the HP for is the hole shot. No she rides a little rough out in whitter with any chop, but that is expected. I would seriously look at the Evinrude E-Tec, but I have no complaints with my merc. I had all the same questions you have, and I love this boat. The only problem is dealing with marita, it seems like they are doing you a favor in there. There mechs are awesome though, I mainly deal with them now. Mitch is awesome.
    Have any questions. you can email me if ya want. Another good guy for advice is SPORTDRIFTER on here, super nice guy, has tons of advice!

  13. #13

    Default 23 Wooldridge Super Sport Drifter

    Here are a few pics of the SSD




  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    630

    Default 21 super sport drifter

    Sport drifter, whats the price of a 21' ssd with windshield and top? How have the E-tecs been working out? Is the over revv problem worked out?!

    has anyone heard of getting a sterring box for the outboards. that 180* turn left or right is full left or right. My Current set up is about 520* = full left or right. Need something that can turn a little faster!!!

  15. #15
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,272

    Default 21ft Alaskan II

    I have a 2005 Wooldridge Alaskan II. Hard to get a one boat does all for Alaska. I have this boat setup up with air ride seats and good electronics. I have it so I can swap between prop and jet. I have run the Chena, Salcha, Tanana, Copper rivers and put well over a 1500 miles in PWS. This boat is as close to a one boat does all as one can get. In the salt it is all about weather. Be safe and happy spending.

    Steve




  16. #16
    Member AKBassking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE Alaska-Summer Columbia River-Winter
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    I have a 1993 20' Xtra Plus with a 2005 250 hp Evinrude w/jet. Love it! I use it out of Whittier and then run the rivers.

    ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    Sport drifter, whats the price of a 21' ssd with windshield and top? How have the E-tecs been working out? Is the over revv problem worked out?!

    has anyone heard of getting a sterring box for the outboards. that 180* turn left or right is full left or right. My Current set up is about 520* = full left or right. Need something that can turn a little faster!!!
    Tblooma
    I would think that a SSD would be a bit cheaper than a Sport Drifter if they are priced like the inboards. This is just a Super Sport with a 3inch wider bottom and the bow wing up front shortened to make the boat not over 8.6 wide. The windshield is 1ft further ahead of a Sport Drifter and the dash is 5 inch higher for more leg room. They drive really nice and handle the chop better than my Sport Drifter.

    The two Etecs that I know of in Fairbanks have ran good so far this summer they are both on 20.6 AK II. Wooldridge has installed quite a few now and they have not had any issues yet. The purple boat above is a guide in WA,http://www.fishskagit.com/ he has ran an Etec since they came out and highly recommends them. You might try getting a hold of him he was a North River Pro staff guide and made the switch over to Wooldridge. That has to say something about the boats, to leave the offer NR gives the guides down there to pay out of pocket for his wooldridge.
    Your steering should be 1 1/4 turns lock to lock if there is more that this it's not set up right. Give WB a call and they can help you out on fixing this.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    630

    Default thanks

    Sport drifter, Thanks for the heads up. I really like the look of that SSD. Not that i will be getting one, as I got the sport 2000, and plan on keeping that for a long time. The 150 opti is running Great, but If I ever have to replace it, I will headed to the E-tec jet in 200 or 225 hp. I am so impressed with wooldridge quality, that I believe this is a one lifteime boat. As in this hull will last a lifetime for sure!! This is my 2nd yr running skinny water, and I have a few bumps to prove it, looking at my boat, you wouldn't be able to tell i hit anything.
    Sport drfiter, have you deen out to deshka this yr, I thought i saw your boat out there a few weeks ago? We did lake creek last weekend, REALLY slow, probably deshka this weekend.

  19. #19

    Default SSD

    Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    Sport drifter, Thanks for the heads up. I really like the look of that SSD. Not that i will be getting one, as I got the sport 2000, and plan on keeping that for a long time. The 150 opti is running Great, but If I ever have to replace it, I will headed to the E-tec jet in 200 or 225 hp. I am so impressed with wooldridge quality, that I believe this is a one lifteime boat. As in this hull will last a lifetime for sure!! This is my 2nd yr running skinny water, and I have a few bumps to prove it, looking at my boat, you wouldn't be able to tell i hit anything.
    Sport drfiter, have you deen out to deshka this yr, I thought i saw your boat out there a few weeks ago? We did lake creek last weekend, REALLY slow, probably deshka this weekend.
    TBLOOMA That was not me, there are several Sport Drifters that are blue, you probably saw John in a 23 with the same hard top as me there was most likely a 24ft Sportstour with him as well. I haven't ran the Deshka since the really late fall several years back, we went up in Nov for the last trip of the year. We went over to PWS on the 4th and got some reds and halibut.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    Glen at Wooldridge just recommended to me their new "super sport drifter" in a 20 ft or 23 ft with 200 HP or 225 OBJ. He said this new model combines best of the "super sport" and the "sport drifter". A 23 foot boat will plane faster, carry a greater load, handle open water much better...........but a 23 ft is a lot of boat to push off a gravel or sand bar when you stick it, so I would lean towards the 20 ft. Of course this a new model that I assume is impossible to find in a used boat!

    Silver Streak boats told me they tried the Optimax in the past and had too many call backs due to overheating etc... when run in silt even with sand traps and therefore they will not sell them in their boats. They recommended Chevy V-6 if you go inboard, and outboard with tunnel unless you need the power of the inboard.

    Get the longer boat. I hate our 20V70 Alweld, but it is what we have and it's almost paid for. The length allows you to ride on the waves, not dive into them. I actually went to a local wleding shop to see if they'd cut my boat in half and weld in 6 feet. It is only one...two...three...additional feet. Don't get a tunnel, they are worthless in the long run: additional drag sucking fuel, and pull the stern down. You are lifting that slab of water, and unless you genuinely need it, forget it. Get Bostrom air-ride seatbases, you'll wonder why you never had'em. Evinrude E-Tec 200 h.p. small-block = 425 pounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •