Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful weekend hunting the sound

Default Beautiful weekend hunting the sound

Left Whittier Friday around 11 o'clock and made a smooth run out to Montague. Not a breath of wind the whole way and hot sun shining through the windshield. uploadfromtaptalk1439397860993.jpg
    Made it to Montague about 2 o'clock and proceeded to get ready to hike for the night above the trees. Got everything loaded in the dingy and headed to shore with my wife. Took a slow 2 hour hike to get above the tree line stopping numerous times to gorge ourselves with the blueberries that covered the island and glass for deer. It didn't take long to spot the first group of four deer high above us, no horns on these. Made it above treeline and set up camp with an awesome view of Port Chalmers below. uploadfromtaptalk1439397156596.jpg
    Spotted several deer and did a practice stalk on a couple does and got within 20 yards undetected. That night we spotted almost 20 deer and only 2 had horns we went after one of those but a switch in wind at the last minute blew it for us. Went back to camp had dinner and called it a night. The next morning we were awoke by the sound of bears fighting below our camp, they had an argument that lasted long enough for us to get dressed andwe tried to move down to a vantage point and see them but they were in the thick brush so we went back to the tent for breakfast. We started spotting deer again immediately but like the day before none were bucks. The Bears eventually came up out of the trees and we got to see the two of them still arguing about something. They finally separated and one came by the tent at about 150yds caught our wind and left in a hurry.
    The weather forecast had changed from great to ugly for Sunday and Monday for the ocean but the pws forecast only had Sunday being bad. I didn't want to be stuck out there so we came back to the boat and headed to naked Island to hunt for the next two days.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Awesome! Assume there is more to the story.....naked is., part 2.

On the way to naked Island we stopped for just a few minutes to catch a rockfish for dinner. We dropped the lines and as soon as they hit bottom we both hooked up, me with a black Rock and her with a quill back. I released hers and kept the little black rockfish and put the line out for one more. As soon as it hit the bottom I hooked up again this time with something much bigger. I was using a 2oz jig and my 6' 6" bass rod and what I thought was a big Ling cod ended up being a nice 60-65# halibut. Now we had plenty for dinner and a little more for the freezer if it had been much bigger I would have let it go but this size is still good eating so I shot it and drug it in the boat.

Made it to naked Island and got the BBQ out and had us a nice fish fry on the back deck under a darkening sky. That night we ate like kings and went to bed early. It started raining sometime throughout the night and continued all the next day. We didn't have our kids with us so we stayed in bed late and enjoyed the kind of quiet morning only parents can appreciate. We had a late breakfast and my wife wanted a nap so I put on the rain gear and headed out about 11 o'clock to see if I could find a deer. I had made it into the brush about 50yds when I spotted the first deer it was a little button buck yearling 120yds distant. I opted this trip to hunt with a bow so I started trying to get closer it took me an hour but I finally closed to 50yds and had a nice broadside shot and what looked like a clear shooting lane. I came to full draw settled my sights and squeezed the trigger the arrow was in slow motion as I herd it hit an unseen branch and deflect high. I again caught up with this little buck and had a great shot opportunity, he was feeding broad side to me unaware of my presence I took my pack off nocked an arrow and ranged him at 40 yds. I came to full draw again and stepped out from behind my cover making extra sure there was nothing in my way. I remember thinking before I let the arrow go that he sure looked farther than 40yds but I didn't listen to my gut and let the arrow go and watched as it just bearly missed low. I was sick with myself and couldn't figure out what happened I had an easy 40yd shot and I missed. I went back to where I was and again ranged where the deer was and in my haste to get a range I was gotten by another **** branch, the deer was at 50yds and I had ranged a branch that I must have missed in my rain soaked rangefinder lense.

I hunted for another hour or two and found another 6 deer on my walk, one buck that I was able to get to full draw on before he slipped away, ten more seconds and he would have been dinner. Found a few more does and worked my way back to the boat. Made it out to the boat and had a late lunch. Got the wife ready and again went to shore for another walk this time on a different hillside. That evening we found another 5 deer one button buck we passed on and 4 does. Went back to the boat and settled in for the night. The next and final morning we woke up had breakfast and listened as the rain finally quit and watched as the clouds got thinner. We went for one final walk and found a little buck bedded with a doe deciding back straps sounded good on the grill she took the little guy and we took some pictures just as the sun was breaking through. Upon rolling him over and starting to make the initial cuts we noticed an ever so small cut to the bottom of his brisket, closer inspection revealed a surgical edge was used to make the nick in the skin and slice the hair, yes it was the little guy I had missed the day before.
    We boned it out and packed back to the boat stopping to pick a few gallons of blueberries along the way. Made it to the boat and had back straps ribs and mashed potatoes for lunch before heading back to Whittier.
    It was a fantastic trip, we seen almost 40 deer in our 4 days out and 2 brown bear caught a nice halibut and enjoyed a beautiful long weekend on the sound just me and my favorite hunting partner, no worries, no kids, good times and living like kings.

Fantastic! Man, what a phenomenal start to the hunting season! Thanks for taking the time to share that. There is indeed something special about getting away with your wife without the kids now and then. Most excellent!

Nice story for sure, thx for sharing!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Awesome!

My wife and I were out as well. We only got to hunt for about 7 hours total between Friday night and Saturday and only saw one Doe. It was blasted hot Friday night in the clearings!

Glad you guys had success! Awesome spending time with the wife in the hills. Hard to beat!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Awesome story Tony, can't wait to hear part 2 when you guys head back out.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Awesome story Tony, can't wait to hear part 2 when you guys head back out.
    You may be involved in part deux

To cool, congrats on your success!
    Can't wait to get back out there and chase deer myself.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Bk

Congrats! No kids for my wife and I yet so I can't fully appreciate the weekend away together, but I sure do love hunting with her so I understand that part! Thanks for the write up!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    You may be involved in part deux

I'm always down to go do some hunting! We need to bring the shotguns too and see if we can't get some ducks

Congrats Tony. You got me all amped up for deer season. Nothing like hiking those islands with deer popping out in the trees and clearings.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Were you in cabin bay? We fished around Naked Island Sat/Sun/Mon - came home monday with a 98lb halibut and handful of silvers. Parked in cabin bay Sunday night. Was wondering if you had been forced to change plans due to the weather and if either of the two boats hiding on the west side of the island was you. It was definitely wet.. LOL...
    Congrats on a successful and safe hunt! The pix are great!

And if you go out again, I am looking for a mid sept deer cape for a 4x4 velvet blacktail I shot years ago.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I'm always down to go do some hunting! We need to bring the shotguns too and see if we can't get some ducks
    Seen some geese on Montague and a few scoters as well but by October there should be a lot of ducks around

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Were you in cabin bay? We fished around Naked Island Sat/Sun/Mon - came home monday with a 98lb halibut and handful of silvers. Parked in cabin bay Sunday night. Was wondering if you had been forced to change plans due to the weather and if either of the two boats hiding on the west side of the island was you. It was definitely wet.. LOL...
    Congrats on a successful and safe hunt! The pix are great!

And if you go out again, I am looking for a mid sept deer cape for a 4x4 velvet blacktail I shot years ago.
    That was probably us in the Bayliner. We're you on the Glacier craft "Genesis"? I've seen pictures of that boat on the forum but couldn't remember who it belonged to.
    That other boat was in there when we showed up and we never herd or seen anyone from that camp. I'm thinking they ran that black zodiac all the way out there from Whittier, if that's the case that's a long run in that boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Seen some geese on Montague and a few scoters as well but by October there should be a lot of ducks around

And they should be in full color, maybe that full color pintail and GWT will come by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast