Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Seward Silver Salmon

Default 2015 Seward Silver Salmon

So I thought I'd start a threat on the derby. My wife and I are here for the duration. We are having a blast, our first EVER bait ball EXTAVIGANSA happened. A bait ball at the serface of the water, with Silvers "everywhere". 2015 is hit -or-miss in the bay. Hit all the normal spots but be willing to go outside if the seas permit. Good luck and be safe.
    Tony

Right on sounds like fun, hope you wife catches the big one, or even a tagged one !!

I'm getting off the slope today and the family and I will be traveling to Seward tonight. We will be there until the end. Where's all those 15-20 pounders that people said they were catching? Looks like the leader was 14 something. Fish stories!!!!!
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

They should rename it the pink and pollock derby. Can't seem to keep them from stealing my herring! Pretty slow inside the bay at the usual close in spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    They should rename it the pink and pollock derby. Can't seem to keep them from stealing my herring! Pretty slow inside the bay at the usual close in spots.
    Pinks really like herring. I use artificial lures when this happens and the pink takedowns seem much less frequent.

Speaking from afar, we always stop trolling and switch to jigs when the pinks are a problem. I don't recall ever catching a pink on a jig, but the silvers love them. Just find an area with a fair silver count and jig at the depth you think the silvers are running. Over the years the Luhr Jensen Crippled Herring in the 2 oz size has proven tops.

Was there last week. Lots of cod in Derby Cove, few silvers just south of Caines Head. Most still out at Agnes Cove.

Just got back from 6 days out of Seward. Day Harbor still has good #s. Cheval Narrows has good #s. Calisto is very slow. Caines Head is very slow. Just outside (south) of Eldorado Narrows is fair. Wait 2 weeks and the fish will be right at the harbor in good #s. We crippled the Silvers out near Montague in open water.

FWIW...there are good #s of Halibut in Cheval Narrows right now. We caught many bouncing vertical jigs while others played with the Salmon.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Pinks really like herring. I use artificial lures when this happens and the pink takedowns seem much less frequent.
    I like the artificials too but the herring outfished my Brad's 2 to 1 the last few days and the juvenile pinks were really bad on it. We moved and at least solved the pollock problem. The wife likes to fish for the tagged fish and they're more likely in the bay but it's time to head outside for some more action.

Been scratching up decent numbers of fish, but haven't had any hot, or even what I consider warm fishing. The fish are very small this year, we haven't even boated a double digit fish yet. On a positive note, the weather has been outstanding.

Well, one last day with my family. The week has been AWESOME WEATHER!!! Best stretch of nice weather in the last 7 years. Fishing has been hit and miss, but productive. Over a 100 fish landed, just no fat ones yet. Best of luck these last two days.

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Well, one last day with my family. The week has been AWESOME WEATHER!!! Best stretch of nice weather in the last 7 years. Fishing has been hit and miss, but productive. Over a 100 fish landed, just no fat ones yet. Best of luck these last two days.
    What kind of boat you fishing from?

What kind of boat you fishing from?
    31' Uniflite, named RAVEN. Is yours that 26' Duckworth I've been seeing?
    Tony

31' Uniflite, named RAVEN. Is yours that 26' Duckworth I've been seeing?
    Yes, that's me. I seen you out near cheval/Agnes a couple times

Raven we saw you fishing Cheval this week. Thursday was a pretty good day there for us, nothing over 10#, slow but steady then Friday was even slower. At least the pinks are moving out. How did you do?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I'm getting off the slope today and the family and I will be traveling to Seward tonight. We will be there until the end. Where's all those 15-20 pounders that people said they were catching? Looks like the leader was 14 something. Fish stories!!!!!
    Seems like the silvers are pretty small this year. Our biggest fish was only about 11# & we met a guy at the NE launch Thursday a.m. that had the 5th place fish & it was under 14#.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Raven we saw you fishing Cheval this week. Thursday was a pretty good day there for us, nothing over 10#, slow but steady then Friday was even slower. At least the pinks are moving out. How did you do?

Akdeweyj, Yes I saw you as well. Thursday was a good day for us. We kept 20 although none larger than 10.5 lbs. I am sure now that the derby is over we'll go back to catching our 18 pounders... LoL. We had a great time though this year. For the week, my boat landed over 150 silvers, well over 200 with the pinks and small rockfish. The week was a blast, given the seas (in general), weather and the wildlife kind of made up for some of the slower catching times. The fish seems to be around, but never in the same place from one day to the next. Congrats to the derby winners, and to my knowledge, no one had to be towed back in this year, so that is always a good thing.
    Tony

We were out at Pony Cove targeting halibut yesterday morning with plans to shift to Silvers at Cheval in the afternoon. About an hour into the day we had a good sized Silver hanging around the boat, nipping at a halibut we pulled up. We dropped a mooching rig with herring, and he stole the bait right at the boat. Dropped another, he stole the bait again. Sheesh, I need to work on my technique!! Dropped another, third time was the charm and we boated him after a good fight. I've never seen such an aggressive Silver. Great fun!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Akdeweyj, Yes I saw you as well. Thursday was a good day for us. We kept 20 although none larger than 10.5 lbs. I am sure now that the derby is over we'll go back to catching our 18 pounders... LoL. We had a great time though this year. For the week, my boat landed over 150 silvers, well over 200 with the pinks and small rockfish. The week was a blast, given the seas (in general), weather and the wildlife kind of made up for some of the slower catching times. The fish seems to be around, but never in the same place from one day to the next. Congrats to the derby winners, and to my knowledge, no one had to be towed back in this year, so that is always a good thing.
    We saw two boats getting towed into the harbor Thursday night about 6:30 pm. Not sure where they came from but both were about 1/2 mile out of the harbor when we came in.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Any updates on silver fishing? I am without a boat and so am stuck on shore. Wondering if they have moved in to the head of the bay. I was down there about 2.5 weeks ago and was nailing pinks off the rocks just past Lowell Creek. We had heard that a few silvers were around then but we didn't have any luck.

I know that the snagging to start picking up (combat fishing near the harbor/along Ballaine Blvd). Just looking for some reports before I drive down for the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast