Thread: Albacore in Southeast

Default Albacore in Southeast

So I guess they are catching some albacore 35 miles off Noyse Island. We are thinking of running out there this weekend to try and get into some if the weather is good. My question is. Is there someplace that shows regulations on albacore in Alaska? I can't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    So I guess they are catching some albacore 35 miles off Noyse Island. We are thinking of running out there this weekend to try and get into some if the weather is good. My question is. Is there someplace that shows regulations on albacore in Alaska? I can't find any.
    In California, we are limited to 10 fish per day including albacore although we have not had albacore come near our coastline in several years. Since we follow the US limits when fishing in US water, I assuming Ak will also follow the US limit. I believe Oregon and Washington have the same limit. Check their saltwater fishing forum for reports as I think they are catching them.

Washington currently has no bag limit but is considering instituting one. Oregon has a bag limit of 25 albies.

AK Fish & Game phone call might get you the answer for SE Alaska. Seems like a long run to go to Noyes island plus 35 miles out from anywhere in Alaska EXCEPT if your home waters are west side of POW.

Is 35 miles even within ADF&G's domain? Sounds more like Fed waters.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Is 35 miles even within ADF&G's domain? Sounds more like Fed waters.
    From the Alaska regulations book:
    "All regulations in this booklet pertaining to fishing in
    the marine waters of Alaska also apply in all waters
    of the exclusive economic zone (the 200-mile limit)."

Halibut is a federally managed fishery, so Fed rules supersede Alaska regs within the EEZ. Unless there are Federal regulations on Albacore, the Alaska rules apply since they're being caught well within the 200 mile limit.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/...E_complete.pdf

There are no size or possession limits for Albacore in the Alaska southeast regs booklet, and it states clearly that any species not specifically listed has no limits.

Take what you can use would be my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    Unless there are Federal regulations on Albacore, the Alaska rules apply since they're being caught well within the 200 mile limit.
    Albacore are a Federally managed species. I'd call these guys to get the straight skinny: http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/fisheries/migratory_species/Pacific_HMS_pemits.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Albacore are a Federally managed species. I'd call these guys to get the straight skinny: http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/fisheries/migratory_species/Pacific_HMS_pemits.html
    That is one confusing website. My curiosity is piqued enough that I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Ok, just got off the phone with NMFS. The controlling Federal regulation is 50 CFR 660

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...60_main_02.tpl

This regulation controls the sportfishing and charter limits for albacore (among other species) for California, Oregon, and Washington, but does not include Alaska. The person I spoke with said that since albacore are so rarely caught in Alaska, there's little need for regulations on them there. Therefore, Alaska regs control, and I've already cited them.

Take what you need, but don't be wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    Ok, just got off the phone with NMFS. The controlling Federal regulation is 50 CFR 660

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...60_main_02.tpl

This regulation controls the sportfishing and charter limits for albacore (among other species) for California, Oregon, and Washington, but does not include Alaska. The person I spoke with said that since albacore are so rarely caught in Alaska, there's little need for regulations on them there. Therefore, Alaska regs control, and I've already cited them.

Take what you need, but don't be wasteful.
    I wondered if that would be the case when I found this map; it appears the Gulf and waters of SE are a little patch of Albacore no man's land....

Source: http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa....y_species.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thank you for all the info guys.

I think were allowed 25 each a day here in Northern Calif ,But I have been wrong once before. Go get em ! and report back and with Pics or will be calling you a Lier

As long as the weather is good we are going to give it a try.

You guys are killing me down there! Any updates? Have fished albies out of Newport a fair bit, one of my favorite fisheries.

We went fishing when we went out but the weather wasn't nice enough to go the first day so we caught some kings halibut and snapper the next day was the day to go but decided not to make the run out witch was a mistake. A boat ran out and got 16. We fished kings again and that was awesome. I got my biggest king 43.3lbs so I was pretty happy with that. We also got halibut lingcod and snapper. The boat that went out was from sure strike lodge. They went again yesterday and knocked them dead. Go to their facebook page they have some pictures.

Awesome, thanks for the update.

We went back to Craig on Wednesday and headed out Thursday morning with five other boats. The weather was great and we found some schools of fish about 50 miles off the coast. Our boat only got 3 but it was worth the adventure. We seen 2 sun fish and quite a few sharks out there also. I hooked into one but it wrapped up in the line and snapped off. It's pretty cool fishing that far out. Hopefully next year we can get out there a little earlier in the year.

Oh so jealous! Thanks for posting. This is great.
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's