Thread: Fishing Gustavus

Question Fishing Gustavus

How is the salmon/rockfish/lingcod fishing around Gustavus
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Salmon and halibut fishing is Outstanding! Lings and rockfish...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    How is the salmon/rockfish/lingcod fishing around Gustavus
    Need to quantify "around", e.g. 1 mile, 10 miles, 50 miles? Also, open ocean or protected water. You could spend the rest of your life fishing off the Gustavus dock and not catch a ling cod, but catch 20 a day if you run to the open ocean, about 30 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    Need to quantify "around", e.g. 1 mile, 10 miles, 50 miles? Also, open ocean or protected water. You could spend the rest of your life fishing off the Gustavus dock and not catch a ling cod, but catch 20 a day if you run to the open ocean, about 30 miles away.

Yea, I was going to say just motor over to Elfin Cove and beyond for lingcod waters....but like you say in Gustavus...not too many hanging out.

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    Not knowing much about the area, a 20-30 mile radius in protected waters would be a good starting place until I learned the area & the water.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Not knowing much about the area, a 20-30 mile radius in protected waters would be a good starting place until I learned the area & the water.
    I have done ok on lings and rockfish in the rockpiles east of Cape Spencer, which is an area that is protected in the prevailing NE winds. We used to catch a few lings in Icy Strait when jigging for halibut, but haven't caught one there in years. The few rockpiles in Icy Strait don't seem to hold any lings; expect a few duskies and sea trout at best.

Big_E

All around Pleasant Island are some good spots with plenty of pressure. Lots of Cod around. More whales than boat traffic, keep your head on swivel and know the marine mammal laws if you don't. I came close to a 33mph impact with one. The tail fluke barely cleared my rod rack as we went under it.

Just west of Pt. Adolphus is a good area for anchoring up. The Sisters gets pressure but holds fish regularly. Up Excursion inlet is glass smooth and fair fishing.