Thread: New Cabover-Need Boat Towing Advice

Default New Cabover-Need Boat Towing Advice

Ok, I am getting a 24 foot Bayliner boat on an old steel trailer that looks to be really heavy (whole rig 7000 lbs). I am also working on a deal for an 8 foot cabover camper for my Dodge 2500 with 6.5 bed. The camper is almost 3000lbs. My question is will one of those extended stingers work to extend the 24 inches or a little less so I can tow this boat, or do you guys think that the Bayliner is too much tongue weight? it will come with a weight distributing hitch bar setup. I'll likely need airbags to really stabilize everything. I know the local guys have a double receiver hitch system that you can get but want to avoid anything unnecessary. Thanks for any comments. Mark

Why not ask a RV company they would likely have a bit more knowledge on this set up. Or at least know where to find that information.
    Is this a diesel or gas? The bed is 6.5 is that a short bed?

I drive a Dodge 2500 and I have both it chipped and helpers on the rear that all helps when I pull the boat. The problem I run into is not power but the suspension with ice heave.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I would also add to this.... insure that you are running E rated tired as well with that sort of weight.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I'm running an 11 1/2' Bigfoot cabover. E rated tires. Airbags. 24' Trophy Pro behind my F350. I run the dual bar setup since I have a 42" extention. I not only pull the big boat in the summer but pull a 24' enclosed car hauler for the atvs and snowmachines. 18" you might get away with a single bar. But personally I wouldn't go longer than 18" without going to the double.

As to the first response, I am running Cummins! As for asking an RV shop, that's all good but I like to hear from you guys first because you are the real users, and don't want to sell me your product. My suspension is factory super heavy with sway bars front and rear. I've hauled some serious weight in there without much squatting. I do have E rated tires, thanks to Ultrarider for that.
    I just spoke with another guy from Elmo that I dipnet with who has a big camper and he is using the double bar rig. I camp with them every year and have never paid attention to their setup. Sure wish I had been looking and asking questions before now! Thanks again to you all.

I have towed my Hewes 260 with my Lance camper on the back of my cummins. Power for towing both is not even close to being an issue. EFI live takes care of that.... But I had to use a 7" hitch extension to clear my trailer jack when turning. It does appear to sag just a bit more than just the hitch, but I don't think it's that bad. Just remember when using any extension, you lose 1/3 of your tongue weight capacity. It works, but be careful.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I will also add that the airbags also act as sway bars as much as they do just supporting the extra weight. This is my 3rd truck with bags. I will never haul a camper or serious weight without them. You will find that more so than the 3000 weight, it's the overhang that is really going to affect your ride and handling. Adding a set of bags will get you back near stock handling when empty.

As to the power, mine is a gas motor. The 6.2 Ford gas motor and power is not an issue. It'll run with most any STOCK diesel out there. And when rolling with 20k pull close to the same milage. 9mpg. 16 when emoty so not far off of diesel milage there either. I'm done with diesels after making the switch. Loving this gas engine for many reasons.

Using an equalizer hitch makes a huge difference for towing but especially so when using a hitch exteneder. You said you setup is coming with one. Take the time to use it! So much safer and easier on your hitch.

I have Ford 7.3 diesel w/ 11' Lance using 48" extension when pulling my 20' enclosed trailer w/ UTV/ATVs. Had to get the equalizer hitch, extension has 5000lb weight limit w/out, or 10000lb limit w/ equalizer. Have had no issues towing. I also run airbags on the back to level things.

sorry I haven't been back to respond to all these great posts folks. I've been very busy installing, cussing, installing and cussing some more. The folks at the place that makes that big double hole hitch swore to me that mine was a straight up bolt on affair and I shouldn't have any problems. Well, I made a liar out of that guy let me tell ya. I had a couple clearance issues with crossmember rivets and spring hanger back braces but a die grinder and more cussing fixed that. So now that I have everything installed, I found out my boat did not in fact come with the hitch setup so I'll have to get that.

I do have a question for you guys with these campers..just how tight do those tie downs have to be and is there a test like belt deflection or tension that is measurable?? I have standard happy ones with no special lever actions...yet... I want a set of the fast gun ones when funds build up a bit. Gotta go get airbags tomorrow.. my wife says camping is getting expensive!

They should be snug, but not over tightened (I have the Fastguns and they do not get tight until half of the locking pin hole lines up). You are only trying to hold it in place, not bolting the camper to the truck, you need to allow for some truck frame flex without yanking the tiedown out of the camper. I have a similar setup as you, but I tow a much lighter trailer with a 2-1/2" receiver and extension.

Thanks for the guidance MORSNO, I appreciate it. I got the bags finished up today, putting the camper back on tomorrow so should be a lot more stable. It was wallowing all over the place. The overloads were on the perches too. I think I'll go weigh the whole rig too just for gee whiz.

Rob B, what is EFI Live?