Thread: Ivishak conditions

Default Ivishak conditions

Anybody been up around the Ivishak recently? Or is anyone trying to float it within the next 3 weeks and heard the water conditions? Just called Mike at 70 north and he said he has had some cancelations because extremely low water conditions. Little late for a plan B fly in float out, but just seeing if you guys have heard or seen the same or different. Thanks and good luck to all this fall!

Ben

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That would be awesome if that river got a year without pressure. Sucks if you have plans though. There are other options but you will double your air taxi bill. Always have a plan B, especially if you are a group coming from Outside and trying to do a DIY hunt on the cheap.

I have a fellow hunter that has been in the IV area. Low water for sure, not to many bulls being brought out of the field but you know how that goes with the bou, feast or famine sometimes. I'm using a 14ft Zodiac Canoe that only draws a few inches of water with a decent load. A few storms can make that float more manageable in a hurry. My plan is to do some sheep' and try to plan my floating days around the hopefully increased water levels. Stay light!

Ryan

I'm hearing reports of low water all over the Brooks so far. You might consider a drop camp instead.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

We are flying out with Mike on the 24th. Just talked to him as well and he confirmed all that. This is our first float hunt, so I'm going to remain optimistic. Considering getting dropped off further down river so as to avoid a couple days of dragging.Hopefully we can get lucky!

Right on. Drop a line after you get back, would be great to hear a report on the water level. Stay safe.

I should be back in service on the 3rd. Will update then.

I have a friend who just got back. I would describe his updates as something to this effect.....Saw about 1000 bou, 4 of which were bulls. It was cold, windy, foggy, rainy, and snowed at times. Water levels were rising with the amount of rain. He switched from his hunting boots to muck boots due to constantly having to change out socks as the ground was wet and mud. I will update further when I can.

Side note, LOTS of brownies around with some sheep spotted, for those interested.

Thanks for the update, good news all around! I remember my hunting partner in 2013 not having muck boots and we did the 5 mile trek in from the road. Brutal. Needless to say his feet were wet and cold most of the trip, nothing better than rolling out of the rack to put on frozen boots....I hiked in a pair of Lacrosse mucks that kept my feet dry and warm the entire trip. This year I think I'll go with my Koflach's and Glacier Socks from Barney's, instant hip waders come in handy. Have a great hunt!

Well my worst nightmare has come true. Was up there running the first 9 miles on jet bet last week. Weather turned very bad on Thursday as we left. Pilot called today said they are packing up and heading out because the weather is so bad. Looks like a quick plan B is all that's left. Least I got up there for a few days

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just back from fishing with a nice arse kicking I got around the mouth of resurrection. Caught 54,000 pounds my last day and quit at noon though(Aug 29)

Anyway... low water huh? Hows about the 40 mile? Called Vanessa and she had no real time reports.. rain today and a but this week. I imagoine low there as well... interested in the west fork of the Dennison specifically.

Well, made er back last week. We dropped at the Bench and floated out. Water levels were good for our raft and weight, we drug a hand full of times but only for a few feet. It snowed sideways everyday except our kill day. Glassed about 150 bou coming out of the mountains, floated down the river to em and had 4 down in a few minutes. Didn't see many big bulls but the freezer is full for a while. I should mention I looked over my shoulder to check my six and had a charging Grizz at 20ft, took her down at 6ft with a head shot. Long days of inclement weather but we enjoyed every minute!