Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter Boat hit my truck - Need Advice

Default Charter Boat hit my truck - Need Advice

Hey guys I am in a tough situation and need some advice:

About 4 weeks ago a charter boat hit my vehicle while I was parked with my boat at the tractor launch. I have not been able to tow my boat for 4 weekends in a row now because my vehicle is in the shop and I have a rental. I could not find a rental car company that offered a vehicle I could tow with. I have spoken with the insurance company but they have no resolution other than apologizing.

This weekend I am supposed to take out some coworkers for Halibut, but none of them have a vehicle I can tow with. This was planned months ago. I am thinking about just paying for a charter and asking the charter boat's insurance company to pick up the tab. I am open to taking this to small claims court if needed but I would like to avoid that option if possible. Has anyone ever had this problem before or have any suggestions? THANKS!

Tell the insurance company the truck was used for work purposes. As such they will have to step up and authorize you a rental truck they cant have you hauling construction materials in a subcompact.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    Tell the insurance company the truck was used for work purposes. .
    Good way to get arrested for fraud. Even if you have a company truck if it is damaged while towing your boat or launching then the insurance will deny the claim and you will be responsible for it in whole.

The insurance company only has to pay for alternate transportation unless it is a true company vehicle. They do not have to provide like vehicles (except for the passenger carrying capacity to match what you have)

The charter insurance will not pay for your charter. All they have to pay is to fix your vehicle. They don't even have to pay for new parts if good used parts are available. You can also try small claims but it will be a waste of your money. Judge will just say sorry.

Crappy deal.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Rent a truck or van big enough to tow your boat from Uhaul.

If I knew you I would lend you my truck. Do you have any buddies that would do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Perhaps kindly asking the charter company that hit your vehicle to take you and your coworkers out on a (free) charter is a good place to start.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Check out rental companies that rent construction equipment. Many of them rent 1ton trucks.

PM Danattherock, he rented a PU in Anchorage one year in order to tow a rental from Alaska Canoe.
    Don't know who he used or what he paid but it was a nice rig.

Airport equipment rentals has 1ton crew cab long beds.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The insurance company gave me an allowance of $50/day for a rental. In Alaska, insurance companies are not required to give you a "comparable" vehicle but a "reasonable" vehicle. They are fixing my vehicle with OEM parts because I elected to have the dealership fix it and they will only use OEM. In the state of Alaska they are also required to pay diminished value, which I will be pursuing in small claims court if needed. I have won similar claims in the past year so I know the judge will not laugh at me. The insurance company is required by law to make you whole so that is the argument I do have.

That being said, I would think other people have had this problem. I can't imagine how disappointing it would be if I had family coming up for a week from the lower 48 to fish.

At what launch did this incident occur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happened at the Deep Creek Tractor Launch in mid July.

So just curious I read this post and twice you mention suing because your truck was hit. Did this rich charter operator hit your truck then run off and not let you know about it or did he do the correct thing and own up to it? Now you think it appropriate to sue him so you can take your family and friends fishing. Would you feel the same way if Joe blow had hit your truck? Would you sue him for your problems or are you just after this guy because he is one of those filthy rich charter operators?
    Have you ever had an accident? Hit another vehicle perhaps? Did they sue you personally for any damages?
    Another member on here mentioned that if they knew you they would loan you their truck, there's no way in hell I would loan you my truck even if I did know you because if you got a flat tire in it I'd be afraid you'd take me to court and sue me because you had to get out and change it. Or you may expect me to pay for the tow truck that came and did it for you.
    It was an unfortunate accident. Suck it up and drive on.

Living like kings

I don't like sue'er's either, but he is going to potentially pursue small claims court for the dimished value of his vehicle - which would be paid by the insurance company.

"... In the state of Alaska they are also required to pay diminished value, which I will be pursuing in small claims court if needed...."

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I don't like sue'er's either, but he is going to potentially pursue small claims court for the dimished value of his vehicle - which would be paid by the insurance company.

"... In the state of Alaska they are also required to pay diminished value, which I will be pursuing in small claims court if needed...."
    But in his first post he also mentioned small claims to make them pay for a charter for his family and friends. Not just for diminished value of his truck. The way the op talks about small claims it sounds like a hobby of his.

Living like kings

Try having a commercial truck that your livelihood depends on. Insurance doesn't cough up a loaner or rental truck, you are screwed. One of my semi's was totaled by another driver and I lost about 10 grand on the whole deal when it was all said and done. My lawyer basically said not to pursue it because I'd never win. I searched high and low for a reasonably priced insurance that provided a rental truck if my truck was damaged and I couldn't find anyone to provide it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    But in his first post he also mentioned small claims to make them pay for a charter for his family and friends. Not just for diminished value of his truck. The way the op talks about small claims it sounds like a hobby of his.

Living like kings
    Not a hobby. You Tony make really poor assumptions. Here is an explanation for you:

I had another vehicle totaled in March from a drunk driver that hit me. That insurance company did not want to pay me KBB on my vehicle so I had to take them to court and I won. I had no lawyer and I did not have some frivolous lawsuit for injuries. This was all based on my own research. From that experience I gained very valuable information on how car insurance works and Alaska driving/insurance laws.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    So just curious I read this post and twice you mention suing because your truck was hit. Did this rich charter operator hit your truck then run off and not let you know about it or did he do the correct thing and own up to it? Now you think it appropriate to sue him so you can take your family and friends fishing. Would you feel the same way if Joe blow had hit your truck? Would you sue him for your problems or are you just after this guy because he is one of those filthy rich charter operators?
    Have you ever had an accident? Hit another vehicle perhaps? Did they sue you personally for any damages?
    Another member on here mentioned that if they knew you they would loan you their truck, there's no way in hell I would loan you my truck even if I did know you because if you got a flat tire in it I'd be afraid you'd take me to court and sue me because you had to get out and change it. Or you may expect me to pay for the tow truck that came and did it for you.
    It was an unfortunate accident. Suck it up and drive on.

Living like kings

I am not pursuing any sort of claim against the charter either. What part of my post was confusing for you? I got hit by someone, and that person's insurance is required to pay all damages that are incurred by that accident. Period. You don't just roll over and say "Oh ok my summer is ruined better luck next time" You fight for everything you lost and I happen to be educated enough to do that in a court of law and prove to the judge what my losses are.

Perhaps you are the type of person that gets taken advantage of and just says "suck it up and drive on." I am the type of person that says "Hey accidents happen, but I expect you to be responsible and compensate for ALL damages". You my friend are an insurance companies dream. An ill educated consumer, that rolls over.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcrox View Post
    I am not pursuing any sort of claim against the charter either. What part of my post was confusing for you? I got hit by someone, and that person's insurance is required to pay all damages that are incurred by that accident. Period. You don't just roll over and say "Oh ok my summer is ruined better luck next time" You fight for everything you lost and I happen to be educated enough to do that in a court of law and prove to the judge what my losses are.

Perhaps you are the type of person that gets taken advantage of and just says "suck it up and drive on." I am the type of person that says "Hey accidents happen, but I expect you to be responsible and compensate for ALL damages". You my friend are an insurance companies dream. An ill educated consumer, that rolls over.
    I agree with you they should compensate you for your entire loss.
    Tony's family ran a charter business for many years. I think that makes him feel more for the charter guy in this case.
    But it really isn't about you vs a charter.
    It is you vs a guy who damaged your property and costing you much more than it seems on the surface. You can't use your boat without your truck.
    That's a loss I doubt you'll be compensated for. I think that's wrong but I don't know if its a battle worth fighting.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by rmcrox View Post
    Hey guys I am in a tough situation and need some advice:

About 4 weeks ago a charter boat hit my vehicle while I was parked with my boat at the tractor launch. I have not been able to tow my boat for 4 weekends in a row now because my vehicle is in the shop and I have a rental. I could not find a rental car company that offered a vehicle I could tow with. I have spoken with the insurance company but they have no resolution other than apologizing.

This weekend I am supposed to take out some coworkers for Halibut, but none of them have a vehicle I can tow with. This was planned months ago. I am thinking about just paying for a charter and asking the charter boat's insurance company to pick up the tab. I am open to taking this to small claims court if needed but I would like to avoid that option if possible. Has anyone ever had this problem before or have any suggestions? THANKS!
    Is it normal for repairs to take 4-5 weeks? That's nipping at the heels of taxidermy timeline, lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast