Thread: Ideas on getting the dog off the ground?

Default Ideas on getting the dog off the ground?

I mainly hunt walkin areas that are tidal influenced & or are always covered in marsh water using just natural ground blinds. Does anyone have some good suggestions to keep the dog out of standing water the entire time? I tried using feed sacks with styrafoam peanuts last fall but after about 4 days all the spray paint flaked off the sacks & the peanuts were waterlogged. Looking for any packable ideas.

I big plastic cargo sled. It makes a small boat for them and can also be used to help haul gear in. It's still a PITA but it keeps the dog mostly out of the cold water.

What birdstrike said...you can add conduit legs to stabilize the sled. I have seen the small concrete mixing tubs used more than the sleds as the tubs have higher sides. There are snow machine sleds that have taller sides as well, but $$$. If you set up the rear legs to cross behind the stern like, and have a wide base width that will stabilize the side to side, and then have the front legs on each side of the bow and angle back. Gives the dog an open bow to hop into.

over on the duck hunters refuge forums there a many threads for dog platforms, but the stabilized sled/tub appears to be the best option for deeper water. The most thought out one I saw used crutches as legs for depth adjust-ability.

Avery makes a dog stand that you can set up in the marsh. I used one for my dog, the water was about crotch deep on me, the table was able to stay above water and allowed him to see where the birds fell.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I just use a camo bag chair from Walmart and push the legs down in the mud a little to stabilize it. I cut a few holes in the back of it and the arms so I can grass it up well. On the slow days the dog has the best seat in the house. If the water is too deep for that then I take an old metal folding chair with 4 pieces of PVC and just put those over the legs and push them down in the ground enough to get the chair to set as high as you need it to. I have tried using the decoy sled but my dog will not crawl into the sled by herself and I always ended up filling one of my gloves with water and getting a sleeve soaked from lifting her back into the sled after each retrieve. I have tried using a roll-a-table, a floating foam lake mat, etc, but the bag chair is my favorite method, the others were not real stable and I felt bad for my dog having to constantly fight for her balance on them.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Avery makes a dog stand that you can set up in the marsh. I used one for my dog, the water was about crotch deep on me, the table was able to stay above water and allowed him to see where the birds fell.

Did you find the footing on the stand to be slick for the dog when he was jumping off to retrieve? I considered this as an option for future hunts, but the top seems very slick/smooth.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    I just use a camo bag chair from Walmart and push the legs down in the mud a little to stabilize it. I cut a few holes in the back of it and the arms so I can grass it up well. On the slow days the dog has the best seat in the house. If the water is too deep for that then I take an old metal folding chair with 4 pieces of PVC and just put those over the legs and push them down in the ground enough to get the chair to set as high as you need it to. I have tried using the decoy sled but my dog will not crawl into the sled by herself and I always ended up filling one of my gloves with water and getting a sleeve soaked from lifting her back into the sled after each retrieve. I have tried using a roll-a-table, a floating foam lake mat, etc, but the bag chair is my favorite method, the others were not real stable and I felt bad for my dog having to constantly fight for her balance on them.
    I like this idea a lot! I may just look into it. We have a chair here that I could probably 'vandalize'. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Did you find the footing on the stand to be slick for the dog when he was jumping off to retrieve? I considered this as an option for future hunts, but the top seems very slick/smooth.

It had a camo canvas cover on it, so he didn't have any issues.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Walmart has a small camo rubber raft for $45

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    What is a "bag" chair??
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I am referring to the lawn chairs that fully collapse and go into a long bag. We call them bag chairs down here. I am not sure if this will work, but I tried to post a link to a photo of one below.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...Ne2ZrwOUkutRSA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent.. Thanks....cod
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!