Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver fishing with a c-185 on wheels

Default Silver fishing with a c-185 on wheels

Hey guys/gals, I got family in town. My 185 is on 29 gar aero wheel gear.. Can I pm anyone for a few silver holes they might want to share?

You might want to consider the Tsiu River. Best silver fishing in Alaska. It's about 250 miles east of Anchorage right on the coast and accessible by airplane (wheels). Google Tsiu River for more information. Call Cordova Air Service for possible up-to-date information.

Thanks! Will do!

Landing areas at the Tsiu are sand and can be soft. Check with any sources you can find regarding landing conditions.

TBLOOMA, we used to land the twin otter on the beach there (tsiu) very flat and solid , and the silvers are huge
    "f/64 and be there"

The landing areas I always used were well above any normal highest tide. We used the sandy areas on either side of the river
    upstream from the mouth about an eighth of a mile or so. By this time of the silver season on the Tsiu, those landing areas will
    be obvious. There will be set netters, little fish cabins and possibly some fish hauling light planes transporting fish to the big gravel strip at Yakataga just down the coast a few miles.

From Cordova crossing the Copper River and headed toward the seaward tip of the
    ragged mountains and Martin Islands will take you to coast and a pretty scenic ride for people on the left side of the airplane.
    Going across the Copper and heading for Martin Lake, the north end of the Suckling Hills and then Bering Lake, would provide
    a nice scenic view for both sides of the plane. It's an enjoyable flight coming and going regardless of how you choose to go after leaving Cordova.

If the weather turns too sour to get back through the Chugach mountains via Whittier and Portage Pass, a night
    spent in Cordova might be a fun thing to do with your family. In any event hope the weather is great and the silver fishing the best.

Right now I am running out of days, but I might try this another time!

What about dip netting from a super cub on floats on the Kenai? I would love to go dip netting next summer but I am not sure how to leverage against the mass crowds that can ultimately make the experience unenjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    Right now I am running out of days, but I might try this another time!
    Theodore river.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    What about dip netting from a super cub on floats on the Kenai? I would love to go dip netting next summer but I am not sure how to leverage against the mass crowds that can ultimately make the experience unenjoyable.
    Chitna.

Don't try dipping from plane....ESP on the kenai. The current and crowds will make it a fiasco at a min.

Wouldnt it be the same as doing it out of a boat and if you are in a plane you can stay away from shore. Perhaps the way to do it is to just be out there on the shore at 6am when the fishing opens, of course you can never know when the runs come in and I heard once it passes about 8am everyone and there mom is out there.

Don't try dipping from plane....ESP on the kenai. The current and crowds will make it a fiasco at a min.

So are you saying fly out, land, beach on river, and than drag net from shore?
    DENNY

Thats an idea too, but I was thinking dip netting from the plane and then just taking off after you get your limit. But I suppose with a float plane you could beach on an area where there are no people, but I am not sure how it would work logisticlly becuase the fish only run in certian spots and I dont know if there are only certian legal area etc. i just want to desperatly avoid the combat fishing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    So are you saying fly out, land, beach on river, and than drag net from shore?
    DENNY

You need to go there in a boat/car and see just what a mess it is!! THERE ARE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. It is a tide thing and everyone shows up with the tide on shore and water. It is hard to do in a boat with dedicated driver. China poot at Homer might work given tides but it is salt water.
    DENNY

I second what bone guy says.... People everywhere.. Boats every where. Yes there are designated places for shore dipping and boat dipping.. Just fly over it. You'll see. I'm normally a pretty positive person, but this is a bad idea.

Yea thats probably true, I just hear stories about guys pulling like 10 grand worth of fish out and never having to buy costco fish all year but I am sure for every one of those guys there is 9 guys that gets 5 fish and spent more in gas to get there plus pissing away a weekend to go back to work stressed out rather than refreshed.

Might be fun to fly over next summer or the summer after just to see what a zoo it is.

I second what bone guy says.... People everywhere.. Boats every where. Yes there are designated places for shore dipping and boat dipping.. Just fly over it. You'll see. I'm normally a pretty positive person, but this is a bad idea.

There are a few places on the kustatan you can get into. Devito strip is an easy one for you but the fishing is very tide dependent. Fish the incoming tide and right now its been pretty hot action.

Thank you avid flyer!

There are some spots on the mighty mac that you can get into as well and the fishing there has been pretty decent.

As far as trying to dip net the Kenai from floats in a plane... Some one ate way too many paint chips as a kid or has taken too many hits from the bong. No way you could pull that off with anything resembling safety to yourself, the aircraft or the hundreds of other boats on the water at that time. Your weaving in and out of commercial boats anchored up, a few hundred other boats running in all directions at once and also fighting the wind and current. As if thats not enough, try and keep the plane headed the direction you want it to be with someone dragging a net in the water... Now put the bong down and dont drink the water.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

hey avid...I don't care who you are THAT WAS FUNNY...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast