Thread: Duck hunting near Soldotna

Default Duck hunting near Soldotna

I am working on the Soldotna hospital and my boss wants to duck hunt somewhere in an hours drive or less. Any possibility of doing that around here. Any suggestions or comments would help. Thanks.
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

Answer: not really. Duck hunting is very limited and a lot of people are vying for what places there are. Sorry.
    If you can get across K-Bay from Homer, you will find mallards and teals and a few other species.

Yes you can.
    Will people tell you where they hunt ducks near Soldotna? Highly unlikely!
    Midweek hunts are best with the lowest chance of hunting near other people or being crowded out.
    Get out your maps,check out google earth,get out your boots and get to scouting.
    Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes you can.
    Will people tell you where they hunt ducks near Soldotna? Highly unlikely!
    Midweek hunts are best with the lowest chance of hunting near other people or being crowded out.
    Get out your maps,check out google earth,get out your boots and get to scouting.
    Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    Amen. Ive had some successful hunts down there but you'll never know where!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I've spent the last several years looking and hunting for good spots and they are few and far between. The normal heavy hit areas look like they're short on water this year so it may be a little tougher in those areas. After about the first two weeks the pressure drops off substantially and the areas open up quite a bit.

Living like kings

There are some pockets with ducks on the central peninsula, but face it, compared to other areas of Alaska like Cordova, Ak Peninsula, Bristol Bay, YK Delta and such, we just aren't "ducky". Also, the mallards we have around here eat a lot of decaying fish matter and don't taste all that great IMO.
    Basically, everybody either has a few lakes or portion of the Kenai below Skilak that they like, or they crowd into the flat near the WA bridge. Or as I said, you can go across from Homer and do OK.
    Those who have spots ain't tellin'. I have a spot and I can tell you that there is more competition there every season, so you can see why we might be tight-lipped.

I spent two years figuring out how to hunt an area that is within two hours of Anchorage. In the eight years we have hunted this area we have only had one other group come close to us and once they realized we were there they backed off. But it took two years to figure out how to best get into the spot, how to set up and when to set up. There is a lot of satisfaction in working that hard and then seeing the results. We came home more than once with few if any birds but every trip we learned something new that we either wouldn't do again or would do differently. We now have it fairly well dialed in. But I do limit the folks who we take out there to blood relatives and a select group of friends who I know won't tell everyone they know about our honey hole. Best advice I could offer is to look for a place that takes a bit of effort to get to (not someplace that you can walk ten minutes into)-that will eliminate most of the folks who you will likely not want to hunt next to-and then spend the time to figure out how best to get there. It takes a bit of time but it is well worth the effort. Good luck and be safe.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.