Thread: Moose Hunting

Default Moose Hunting

I am not looking for anyone's favorite hunting spot, but looking for some general pointers on hunting areas within a couple hours of Anchorage. I was stationed at Ft Wainwright a few years ago and moose hunting locations were not hard to find. Delta Junction and the White Mountains were a short drive from the house. Now that I am stationed on Ft Richardson, I was hoping to find some hunting areas that are not saturated by hunters. I have ATV's and am willing to travel off the main road system in my pursuit. I did a little scouting this weekend and decided to try going down the Glenn Highway to the trails near the Eureka Roadhouse. I realized this was a bad idea because a few hundred people had the same idea. I can only imagine what this area will look like during the moose season. I am looking for any info on places within a couple hours of Anchorage that do not receive a lot of hunter pressure during the general season. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjoe54 View Post
    I am not looking for anyone's favorite hunting spot,.
    Of course you are, we all are. LOL

A hunting area with few hunter a lot easier to find than you think, just look for areas that have no moose or is almost impossible to get into.

If you use atv's to hunt in Alaska your going to be in the hardest hunted areas.

Hit up the Denali hwy

I seen some big bulls on the mountains around turnagin arm
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

There is often a sweet spot between the road hunters, and all the guys that are trying to get to the end of the atv trail. It is impossible to outdo the laziness of the road hunter, but also nearly as hard to outdo the guy that wants to be at the bitter end of the trail or river (with all the other "hard core" guys).

Basically, work first to outsmart your fellow hunter, then the moose are easy. THe other option is to join the rotisseries and hope to get lucky.....I'd rather go to Hawaii than that option personally.

A hunting area with an ample supply of moose, that is not hunted by very many people on wheelers, within a few hours of anchorage is a VERY RARE FIND THESE DAYS. Nobody is going to give you that information, and why would they? The amount of people choking places that were pretty secluded 15-20 years ago is insane......people have and are learning their lesson about running their mouths about any location you are inquiring about in the above post. The Denali Highway is pretty long and guess what? You don't need a sanctioned atv trail to get your wheeler across a fair piece of that land up there. Get off the trails, and your odds of seeing no people go up substantially.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

A Better Question is to ask what kind of habitat do moose like? then you can find your own spots! my uncle likes looking for willows when he finds willows he feels confident that he'll find moose. my view on it is I will see moose when I don't have my gun/bow with me!

If you have the money resources a fly out hunting trip with a air taxi will probably get you somewhere with less hunting pressure. I live off the road system in 16b and with a boat or a plane you can get away from the masses.

I am not looking for anyone's favorite hunting spot, but looking for some general pointers on hunting areas within a couple hours of Anchorage. I was stationed at Ft Wainwright a few years ago and moose hunting locations were not hard to find. Delta Junction and the White Mountains were a short drive from the house. Now that I am stationed on Ft Richardson, I was hoping to find some hunting areas that are not saturated by hunters. I have ATV's and am willing to travel off the main road system in my pursuit. I did a little scouting this weekend and decided to try going down the Glenn Highway to the trails near the Eureka Roadhouse. I realized this was a bad idea because a few hundred people had the same idea. I can only imagine what this area will look like during the moose season. I am looking for any info on places within a couple hours of Anchorage that do not receive a lot of hunter pressure during the general season. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Try to take leave and head farther north. I was looking at a road move this past year, but my desire to hunt where few hunt superseded my desire to live where it is semi-affordable.

I am in the same boat though. I have moved to a new unit with a lot more people than where I was. The moose hunting may not be as good or I should say as easy. I have an inflatable with a 25 hp motor, but I am not crossing the bay to get to where most people go. Luckily I have two large lakes with nice boat launches within car driving distance with a paved road for most of the trip. I'd like to hit some of the lakes I see off the roads (1/2 mileish) but don't want to pack out that far...lol. I don't have an ATV, but I am sure I have friends that could help. The key is putting some time in scouting, or finding some friends that hunt and tag along.

I'm excited about the new unit b/c it offers something my previous unit didn't...Big Browns.

I am looking for any info on places within a couple hours of Anchorage that do not receive a lot of hunter pressure during the general season. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Call Hawk Mountain Air. He has a few fly in moose spots in unit 16 that are producing better thanks to the bear hunting going on. Not much hunting pressure and within a couple hours of Anchorage. He now charges by the hour for moose since he will need a couple trips to get the meat back to Birchwood.