Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hare numbers?

Default Hare numbers?

I took a walk to scout my favorite grouse spot this weekend and still see no hate sign, I figured they'd be on the upswing this year but maybe not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm seeing a few more here in the interior than last year... Seems like they're beginning an upswing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ive seen a ton in the interior. Havent been out to hunt them yet but last time I drove down the rich there was about 100 on the road.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Ive seen a ton in the interior. Havent been out to hunt them yet but last time I drove down the rich there was about 100 on the road.
    Great news! How hard would you guys laugh if I made a trip up there to go hare hunting...

I was in the interior this past weekend and saw 3 hares. First ones I've seen in 5 years.

I drove from Anchorage to Delta and back on August 17-18 and saw zero hares alive or as road kill. Road kills are an excellent method to assess huntable populations.

I work all over the state... the interior has a better population right now then anywhere else I've seen at this time,,,,,, but not even close to what I consider a large population. The very beginning of a rebound hopefully. I might be able to call in a lynx this winter.... before the season closes again... but rabbit hunting isn't on the memo quite yet

Awesome, thanks for keepin the updates coming! I tried to take the dog bird hunting last weekend and scout the hares around here but alas I grabbed the wrong gun case and only had a 12ga with slugs so we walked the gravel road and agate hunted. Bugs were rather bad too, worst I've seen this summer.

Got the dog out again today and remembered the right gun!

Still can't find any sign of hares, looks like we're still in the trough down here. It will be interesting to see what the snow shows!

The 5 acres next to my house near Palmer has a few running around it. We also wondered around moose hunting and my kids Pt Mack cow moose tag and saw a few. Unfortunately we haven't seen a single moose out there. Even the 7 or 8 trails we have found on borough land barely have any moose sign at all. At least I know where to head back for bunnies later, hopefully we will get the moose figured out as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The 5 acres next to my house near Palmer has a few running around it. We also wondered around moose hunting and my kids Pt Mack cow moose tag and saw a few. Unfortunately we haven't seen a single moose out there. Even the 7 or 8 trails we have found on borough land barely have any moose sign at all. At least I know where to head back for bunnies later, hopefully we will get the moose figured out as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Good luck with the moose, seems like the odd weather patterns have them a bit skittish everywhere, I bet when the weather settles you'll get on them!

While working on Afognak Island two weeks ago I saw 30-50 hares a day. They were like cockroaches!!!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    While working on Afognak Island two weeks ago I saw 30-50 hares a day. They were like cockroaches!!!
    Wow that would be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    I drove from Anchorage to Delta and back on August 17-18 and saw zero hares alive or as road kill. Road kills are an excellent method to assess huntable populations.

If you miss the just before sun up window you wont see any. I drove out about 30 minutes before daylight and they were everywhere in the donnely flats. Went through the same area about 1hr later the next day and saw nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    If you miss the just before sun up window you wont see any. I drove out about 30 minutes before daylight and they were everywhere in the donnely flats. Went through the same area about 1hr later the next day and saw nothing.
    Are you talking about road kills (carcasses) or live hares on the edge of the road? I'm talking about road kills whose traces don't vanish too rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Are you talking about road kills (carcasses) or live hares on the edge of the road? I'm talking about road kills whose traces don't vanish too rapidly.
    Live ones. All I saw were fortunate enough to cross the road unharmed. I havent been down that way in a few weeks but last I did there were more bunnies than I have ever seen in one area just running across the road. Of course I saw a couple of nice fat owls down there too.

Red face

are you sure @ interior? i see nothing..have to drive up toward EAST. There i found it. TXT me if u like we can share info

Quote Originally Posted by tom907 View Post
    are you sure @ interior? i see nothing..have to drive up toward EAST. There i found it. TXT me if u like we can share info
    Seen a few while out yesterday. Couldnt get a good shot lined up on them and that was just poking around the house. I had the .17 so I wont shoot it if I cant hit it in the head or neck cause that little round destroys things.

008.jpgWatch out for this guy, it's that time of the year when they see red, lol. ( two weeks from now they could overtake us, )

We went out a few days ago for grouse and ended up with a few bunnies. We saw several more but didnt have clean shots on them so we didnt take em. More than I have seen all fall. Im sure they are still in the upswing and not at the peak but there are plenty around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast