Thread: hunter safety course

Default hunter safety course

A friend of mine is going hunting for the first time this year, and he was born after 86' and needs the safety course. he seems to think its no big deal and is going to go a pay the fine or whatever citation they will issue. which he thinks will only be $50. i have been trying to convince him to take it without any luck. I would imagine they could even go as far as to take his harvest. does anyone know the penalty so i can convince him otherwise?

thanks

He will likely not be able to purchase a hunting license.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

That did not even cross my mind. Not even sure he can take the course now before he goes out. serves him right. i have been telling him since last year to get it done!

thanks

I have never had to show proof that I've taken the hunter safety course to buy a license or when I've been check in the field.

Kids these days...

There are certain areas that you can't hunt in, or permits that you can't apply for without hunters ed info. You can leave the cell blank on line, but if you step into an office to get the tag you better be packing a card. AK has not stepped up their system like other states, but if your buddy ever wants to hunt in say, Nevada, before he can even start filling out the forms he has to show proof of hunters ed and have that entered into their system.

If he gets caught it can result in his license not being valid, so hunting without a license, and hunting without hunters ed, could add up to over $500 for the no license and then the no hunters ed can be $150. Add the court costs on top of that. If outside the Mat-Su boundary he will have to travel to a district court in Healy, Nenana or Glenallen if he can't arrange to call in. And if it can be shown in court that you are a no account scofflaw then the judge just may take your hunting privileges away for a while.

That all sounds right to me. I can imagine people not getting checked, but also why take a chance? to easy to get hunter ed course, not worth trying to get away with it.

If your friend is 16 years old or older and was born after January 1, 1986 then he can not hunt in Units 7,13,14,15 and 20 without completing the Basic Hunter Education course. See page 13 of the current hunting regulations. Why not just take the class on-line and then sign up the 4 hour field day. Here is the schedule. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...es&classtype=h

im right there with you. He just isnt going to do it for some reason. I have been telling him forever now to just do it. its like talking to a brick wall. not that i think he isnt capable of hunting safely without it, just that everyone should follow state guidelines.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, its just re-inforceing my case against him. if he wont listen to me hopefully seeing all the replies will guide him in the right direction

His resistance seems kind of silly, I don't think anyone of any age would walk away from that course without learning (or relearning) something useful about safety of themselves and others with hunting and firearms. He probably hunts with one in the tube as well

Good luck and I hope he comes around.

got him signed up. thanks to all the input for everyone here. thanks again

I took a firearm safety course several times as a kid. It was offered at our high school. I took it even after I had the card. When my boys were old enough to hunt, I signed them up for the hunter education course here in Alaska. I took it along with them. A 3 day course. It was much more than just firearm safety. Lots of hunter ethics, and other topics were covered. It's a very good course.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    He will likely not be able to purchase a hunting license.
    Quite wrong. I know more than one person who gets their license without having hunters ed. It's only for certain units so they don't restrict it.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6