Thread: It's Kenai River Classic Time!

Default It's Kenai River Classic Time!

Was just curious who plans to attend this year's event. After all, since APOC classifies it as a "public event", I guess it is open to everyone.

Of course, there's the required $4,000 "donation", unless you are a public official. I noticed that they changed the entry form, eliminating the word "cost":

http://www.krsa.com/user-files/KRC%2...m%202015.1.pdf

They also changed the wording on their website:

"KRSA's fundraising policy is generally to ask for a financial donation of each Registered Participant; provided, however, KRSA policy is not to ask for donations from public officials as they represent the interests of the public."

http://www.krsa.com/event-detail.php?event=1

What "interests of the public" are our public officials representing or serving by attending this year's classic?

It would be nice to get a list of the public officials in attendance this year, and of the sponsors. I've never been one to bash politicians or business people for rubbing elbows, but after KRSA's activities the last few years, any public officials I vote for or businesses I support should be elsewhere. Hopefully someone who goes will take notes. I'm gonna save my 4 large and hang out with people I like.

Support a real charity. Save your money for the Hospice auction boys and girls.

I won't be attending, and I'm ashamed to admit that I worked at the classic as a teenager valet parking. I thought it was cool at the time seeing these rich and famous people, but now that I know better, its embarrassing
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    "KRSA's fundraising policy is generally to ask for a financial donation of each Registered Participant; provided, however, KRSA policy is not to ask for donations from public officials as they represent the interests of the public."
    The use of the word "ask" suggests the donation is optional. So, if Registered Participants decline, can they still participate in the KC? If not, then "ask" is the wrong word. The word "require" is the appropriate adverb. Does anyone know if, for example, I can register and participate in the KC without donating a cent?

I won't be since I'm not planning on being in the Great Land anytime soon.... And if I was, I would be fishing for halibut, not coho. Or, perhaps, Pacific albacore in Craig, AK. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1061802

If you can believe it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    The use of the word "ask" suggests the donation is optional. So, if Registered Participants decline, can they still participate in the KC? If not, then "ask" is the wrong word. The word "require" is the appropriate adverb. Does anyone know if, for example, I can register and participate in the KC without donating a cent?

I won't be since I'm not planning on being in the Great Land anytime soon.... And if I was, I would be fishing for halibut, not coho. Or, perhaps, Pacific albacore in Craig, AK. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1061802

If you can believe it.....
    No, you will not be allowed into the event without donating, unless you are a politician or part of the syndicate.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    No, you will not be allowed into the event without donating, unless you are a politician or part of the syndicate.
    Ruined my whole day.......

An interesting choice of words by the sponsors. A donation can be considered tax deductible if it's made to a qualified organization (e.g., 501c3). But an admission fee is not tax deductible. So which is it? It can't be a donation if it's required to gain admittance. That's an admission fee. I wonder if the folks who are attending this event (and pay 4K to get in) are also claiming this "donation" as a tax deduction? I certainly hope not...

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    Ruined my whole day.......

An interesting choice of words by the sponsors. A donation can be considered tax deductible if it's made to a qualified organization (e.g., 501c3). But an admission fee is not tax deductible. So which is it? It can't be a donation if it's required to gain admittance. That's an admission fee. I wonder if the folks who are attending this event (and pay 4K to get in) are also claiming this "donation" as a tax deduction? I certainly hope not...
    Yes Coho, it's all in the verbage...

This is what Alaska's APOC had to say about the entry fee / donation as it relates to public officials, after multiple complaints were filed last year.

The Commission, however, states the following for future guidance concerning the unusual circumstances apparently involved in the Kenai River Classic event. Under AS 39.50030,a public official must file an annual POFD report that includes sources of income, and any gifts from a single source with a cumulative value exceeding $250 in a calendar year that was received by the public official, the official's spouse or domestic partner,or the official's dependent child. Based on the Staff's investigation, KRSA does not request or require any entry fees from invited guests which include public officials such as Lt. Governor Treadwell. Thus, the Staff concluded that there were no such fees for public officials to report. But although KRSA states that it does not have an entry fee for the Kenai River Classic, it does request donations from registered participants (but not invited guests) in the range of $4000.00. And there appears to be no question that both invited guests and registered participants are provided various services during the Classic including being taken on guided fishing trips. Although not clear,it also appears that it may be the case that in order to participate, for example, in fishing trips an individual must make a donation unless they are an invited guest.

The current manner in which it appears that the Classic is being managed may place public officials invited to the event in the future in a precarious position because they are not being charged an entry fee while others attending the event as registered participants are apparently expected to make a substantial donation. Now that this information is known, if the Classic continues to operate in the same manner, public officials should consider the requirements applicable to the reporting of gifts received by public officials set forth in AS 39.50.030.

I love it! "Unusual circumstances apparently involved in the KRC event", and "The current manner in which it appears that the Classic is being managed may place public officials..... in a precarious position." Unusual circumstances? Current manner? Oh, you mean ILLEGAL???????? Yes, I suppose it would put public officials in a "precarious position".

If I paid money to attend the Classic, I would totally write it off. KRSA is a registered 501C3 charity, and they are classifying the cost to attend as a donation. As a citizen, it is not my job to determine whether or not they are legit - that is the responsibility of our public officials, the IRS, and the State of Alaska. As we can see from this "conclusion" of our ethics office, they are doing a terrible job.

God, I hope the cops use this kind of wording next time I get busted. "Sir, concerning the unusual circumstances apparently involved in your driving 20mph over the speed limit, the current manner in which you are driving could put others in a precarious position. Now that this information is know I recommend you slow down."

I wonder how many APOC officials have attended the KRC...

So the end result was the elimination of the words "Cost to attend" from the KRSA entry form, and the cheesy paragraph I already posted from their website. Other than that, business as usual.

This is what we call having your cake and eating it too. Best of both worlds. It is clearly illegal, but none of our public entities have the stones to do anything about it. "Greasing the skids" is how things often get done in resource rich governments, and cleaning up messes like this often comes with a lot of unintended collateral damage. Best to leave it alone, and simply classify the people complaining as a bunch of extremists.

Hey Quest, this is exactly what I am talking about when I use the words "syndicate", "corruption", "illegal", and "rich snobs who think they are above the law and can buy their way out of anything". Don't take it personal. Hope you have a blast at the classic.

Or perhaps you prefer the women's classic? I heard you were in town for that one last year. S'what I'm talking about! Plaay-ahh!

I remember someone sometime mentioning 'corrupt' public officials in office but I can't remmbr the details or who said it.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I remember someone sometime mentioning 'corrupt' public officials in office but I can't remmbr the details or who said it.
    Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of those as well. That's inevatible. For me, it's like regulating drug use. We know people are going to use drugs, so it's more efficient to go after the dealers than it is people who decide to use drugs. Of course that's very hard to do if public officials are too busy snorting the evidence to do anything about it...

Think of KRSA as your local corruption hook-up!

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of those as well. That's inevatible. For me, it's like regulating drug use. We know people are going to use drugs, so it's more efficient to go after the dealers than it is people who decide to use drugs. Of course that's very hard to do if public officials are too busy snorting the evidence to do anything about it...
    Sounds like your talking about fishing guides. It's a lot easier to go after them than it is the people paying for their service

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Sounds like your talking about fishing guides. It's a lot easier to go after them than it is the people paying for their service
    Ha!

Actually, I got no beef with most fishing guides - only the ones who are trying to put me out of business in order to turn the Kenai into a theme park. I'm likely more supportive of guiding than many sport fishermen since I primarily utilize our sport fisheries in the off season, and since I directly benefit from their economic contribution to our community. At least they provide a car-pooling service for the many who want to fish our area - while sucking money out of them in the process

I would like to see the growth of their industry limited - which would be a good thing for 95% of current guides. That requires some action on the part of our policymakers...

It's actually surprising how many commercial fishermen are also guides.

I have a friend who wanted to be on the local ADFG AC board, but cannot serve because he is both a "commie" and a guide. Guides and commercial fishermen cannot serve on the central peninsula AC in a general public seat, guides cannot fill a commercial fisherman seat, and commercial fishermen cannot fill a guide seat. Thanks for trying out, were just not picking up that many this year...

It's a silly rule, but I get why it's needed. Goes to show just how ridiculous this fight has become.

According to the clarion, lisa is attending the classic. And to think I voted for her.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    According to the clarion, lisa is attending the classic. And to think I voted for her.
    Well, you didn't do your research before the last election. Lisa has been a part of the Classic for a long, long time. It became her event after Ted died.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Well, you didn't do your research before the last election. Lisa has been a part of the Classic for a long, long time. It became her event after Ted died.
    Lisa's husband is a KRSA board member. Other board members include the President of Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, VP of Alaska Airlines, CEO of ASRC Construction, and the Executive Director of the Alaska Oil and Gas Association. Also, Retired leaders of Yamaha, Tesoro, and the University of Alaska.