Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Hunter First Look Ruger .454 and .480

Default American Hunter First Look Ruger .454 and .480

Ruger has finally listened to big bore revolver fans and is now offering a Bisley Super Blackhawk in the .454Casull and .480Ruger chamberings!!! Both guns will have five shot cylinders of Carpenter Custom 465 stainless steel with recessed case heads. They will have 6" barrels and the long ejector from the 10" Super Blackhawk and Hunter models. They are a distributor special, only available only through Lipsey's. Read more about it below:

http://www.americanhunter.org/articl...er-blackhawks/

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanHunter?fref=ts

I like other than I see no previsions for an optic on it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Could one of you guys explain why you think this is better than an SRH in these calibers? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I like other than I see no previsions for an optic on it.
    I will be covering that in the followup articles I am doing. There are a couple of good options. I will address later on -- no time at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Could one of you guys explain why you think this is better than an SRH in these calibers? Thanks
    Much more compact and some of us just prefer single actions......among other reasons.

NO BISLEY FOR ME no matter the caliber.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Finally! I WILL have one! (insert maniacal laugh here)

It's a nice looking revolver. I basically went down this road when I bought my Ruger Redhawk Alaskan 44. I considered the larger
    calibers and considered a single action in a 44. I went with the 44 mainly because I could actually find some 44 ammunition in the stores. I guess
    I bought the Super Redhawk for the double action and it seemed so beefy. Now I still want the Lipsey's Bisley 44 model. So I
    guess that's what I should have bought in the first place.

I'm not even seeing 22 ammo in the stores much yet. Sometimes small boxes of 50 or 100. No bricks.

Any idea on prices for the new revolvers yet?

Looks like prices will be around $800, probably a bit less. Lipseys tells me the .454 is available, the .480 is a couple weeks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Much more compact and some of us just prefer single actions......among other reasons.
    Thanks Whitworth. I admit that I shoot my SRH SA 99% of the time, but I like knowing that I can go DA in a pinch. Those Bisleys look like nice pieces. Too many guns, too little time...

The 454 is sold out. The 480 should show up and be gone soon.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I like it and want one of each. I also like the look with out cut outs for a scope. My not so big only big bore revolver is the lowly S&W .44 Mountain Gun. But those bigger bores get my blood going even though I would probably not get much trigger time in if I had one. So many guns, so little time, woe is me!

The .480 would be super, my problem is my huge knuckle from shooting heavy bows. It gets beat pretty bad with a Bisley so I hate to use it as a filler for the trigger guard.
    Others love them. I can't stand the square trigger guard on the SBH so I need Pachmeyer grips. I have had my knuckle cut to ribbons too many times. My hands are large and even extra large gloves are a pain to get on and off.
    I have extra large shooting gloves and need pliers to remove them so I shoot bare hand.
    Grips are personal. I owned one Bisley for two weeks and was happy to sell it. It was not designed to mitigate recoil, most guns back then were weak. The grip was made for one hand shooting for a better eye alignment.

I can't wait for the 480 version to become available, I have a 7 1/2" Bisley in 44, a 5 1/2" Bisley 45 Colt, a 454 in the Freedom Arms, and another Bisley in 480 will just be the icing on the cake! For me the Bisley is second only to the Freedom Arms in handling felt recoil. The Ruger vesion isn't a true Bisley, it is a hybrid, closer to Keith's #5, having handled a real Colt Bisley, I like the Ruger version much better.

They do feel good in the hand but still bite me.
    A friend was out yesterday and never really shot a revolver much. I offered to let him use my SBH for deer season coming up.
    I start a new revolver shooter off with larger guns so I gave him my BFR in .500 JRH to shoot from the bench. Soon he was hitting little water bottles at 100 yards, then jerked back. He cut his trigger finger on the front of the guard. Some blood.
    I gave him the .44 and he fell for it so he will save money for a Hunter model.
    I set bottles of water at deer distances and he was hitting them off hand so I think I have a convert to revolver hunting.
    After the .500 he never felt the .44.
    If I had money, I sure would consider the new .480 Ruger even though I prefer a hog leg. I think those of you lucky enough to snare one will find it a wonderful caliber. Once you get hooked to revolver hunting it will be hard to pick up a rifle again.
    I sold off fine guns to get my BFR's and have the .475, you will not believe how great it is and the .480 is just a step lower and easier to control.
    I hope to hear some of you got one. I hope Ruger makes them a production item.
    I do not like the .454, they get fussy to load with the SR primer but cut down .460 brass and a LP mag primer solves all and makes the caliber better.

I hope to have one of the 480s in a couple of weeks, judging by the load data, the 480 is 95% of the 475 with all bullet weights, I doubt the animals will notice the 5%. I have never had any issues with the 454, been shooting it for over 15 years now, I use Starline brass exclusively, and load with H110, 2400, HS6, and Unique, if I could get it, I would still use Blue Dot as well. For the last 5 years I have been sticking to mostly loads that are near the starting charges, nothing here in the Lower 48 that warrants the full measure of a 454, I shoot mostly 325-355gr bullets, and as long as the load shoots accurately out to 150, I don't mess with it. Only cartridge I have ever had any issues with is the 44 Magnum at cold temps, have had hang fires with H110 max loads and 3 different primers at temps below -30, 45 Colt has never had a hiccup nor has my Freedom Arms 454. Shame the Bisley hammers you so, next to the Freedom Arms grip, for me it is the best, the only BFR I have fired was a 45/70 model, just remember the sting from firing it. I am thinking with the 480, I will not need gas checks, what diameter cast bullets have worked best in your 475 BFRshooter? Will be ordering brass and a bullet mold in the near future, thinking between a 395 and a 420 grain mold should do the trick nicely.

I use a .476" boolit and it is PB. My boolit is 420 gr. It fits the freedom .475 and the Ruger .480.

Thank you BFRshooter! From looking at the load data for just the 480, it looks as though this will be the bullet weight I will shoot.

I've shot thousands of 390-410 gr cast bullets out of my 480 SRH. Load work is simple, 21 gr of H-110 lit off with a CCI 350. I've used ~1/2 dozen different bullet designs in that weight range and all would clock ~1200 fps and group five into 1" at 50 yds if I did my part.

You can't go wrong with a 400-420 gr cast bullet in the 480. The nice thing is the shootability. It doesn't have the sting of the faster 454, the 480 feels like a 44 mag with a bigger push.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast